Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

No signs posted on this trail. Would you explore it?

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Blazintrails03 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:10 pm

I couple of weeks ago I sold my roof top cargo basket to a guy on CL here in NOVA. He shows up in a muddy pathfinder so I ask him where he got muddy. He tells me a trail back behind some industrial buildings in Manassas where the rest stop off of 66 and ECPI are (James and firefox2501 probably no where I'm talking about). It's probably 1/2 mile away from the rest stop so I don't think it's there property and he said he's never had any issues wheeling out there but I'm still a little skeptical. I found the trail and confirmed it with him to make sure but I'm not sure of the legality of riding the trail. The trail starts off about 25 yards through a field and then goes between some trees into the woods I'm not sure passed that point. I didn't see any signs posted or chains or fencing of any sort. What do you guys think safe to explore?
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Opeth » Sun May 26, 2013 8:26 pm

If your that skeptical, go to your town hall and see who actually owns the property and get in contact with them. Better safe than sorry.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by DirtyBacon04 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:29 am

Town Hall? Nah, just google "(Your County) Property Appraiser" type in the address to the property, and wha-blam, there ya go
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by JorDaneeKey » Mon May 27, 2013 3:58 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Town Hall? Nah, just google "(Your County) Property Appraiser" type in the address to the property, and wha-blam, there ya go

Note: sound effects are rarely included, unless bacon is in your name.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by firefox2501 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I don't know about that one - which is surprising since I am over in that area quite often. Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/new-le ... 41887.html

Personally, I would be leery about it until you check it out like DirtyBacon mentioned. But your mileage may vary...
firefox2501
Off-Roader

Name: Mike

by Blazintrails03 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 pm

firefox2501 wrote:I don't know about that one - which is surprising since I am over in that area quite often. Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/new-le ... 41887.html

Personally, I would be leery about it until you check it out like DirtyBacon mentioned. But your mileage may vary...

Yeah as of now its a he said she said kinda of situation. Kinda like the trail off of 28 by the BP Gas station right when you go over the bridge into Manassas, I want to see what it's about just imagine a PWC blue and white sitting waiting for when I leave.

The map they show in that forum actually looks like the Best Buy in Gainesville off of 29 and 66. The place I'm talking about is all the way down Balls Ford Road like you are trying to get into the Rest Stop a back way or something.

That's the one thing that sucks about this area Mike, if it looks like fun to ride it's not legal and if you can get away with it it's gonna be like a 10 minute teaser ride.
Last edited by Blazintrails03 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by Blazintrails03 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 pm

JorDaneeKey wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:Town Hall? Nah, just google "(Your County) Property Appraiser" type in the address to the property, and wha-blam, there ya go

Note: sound effects are rarely included, unless bacon is in your name.

Haha and for some reason "wha-blam" seems like a commonly used term in the bacon vocabulary.

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by firefox2501 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Blazintrails03 wrote:Yeah as of now its a he said she said kinda of situation. Kinda like the trail off of 28 by the BP Gas station right when you go over the bridge into Manassas, I want to see what it's about just imagine a PWC blue and white sitting waiting for when I leave.

If you are lucky it is a PWC blue and white... The troopers are the ones you don't mess with. Either way, still no bueno...

Blazintrails03 wrote:The map they show in that forum actually looks like the Best Buy in Gainesville off of 29 and 66. The place I'm talking about is all the way down Balls Ford Road like you are trying to get into the Rest Stop a back way or something.

Ah gotcha - yeah I definitely don't know the one you are referring to. [Edit:] I know the area you are talking about, just don't know the trail you are referring to...

Blazintrails03 wrote:That's the one thing that sucks about this area Mike, if it looks like fun to ride it's not legal and if you can get away with it it's gonna be like a 10 minute teaser ride.

That is very true... At least we have GWNF not too far away... And once some under carriage armor is installed, Rausch Creek is not too far, either...
firefox2501
Off-Roader

Name: Mike

by Blazintrails03 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 am

I found the site by the rest stop and the one by the BP on the other side of Manassas on google earth and they look like fun but like I said they also look like a quick 10 minute ride. Might as well play it safe and just save my time for GWNF.

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by Cable810 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:01 am

Half the trails around here aren't marked. But if they have a Name as in "Snake Trail" or "Red Bridge Rd" its pretty much 99% legal unless there are trespassing sign...
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Blazintrails03 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:29 pm

The only thing is these aren't "trails" so to speak as much as just trails in the woods. Plus around here it's nothing new for a company to buy up land and not do anything with it for a while with nothing posted. I've kinda given up on the 2 trails I was speaking of. With my luck it would be government property or something and I'd come out of the trail to a guy posting a US Government No Trespassing sign

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by navigator » Wed May 29, 2013 5:05 pm

I know each state is different but unless it is changed, here in NC if it isn't posted then you aren't trespassing. If you are cutting up(not treading lightly), I'm sure they can ticket you for destruction of private property but if you are minding your own business it usually isn't a big deal. I think you can still hunt on property that isn't posted and the worst they can do is ask you to leave.

The game warden told me one time that even on posted land all they could do was ask you to leave, those laws have changed though.

All that being said in most cases I don't want to be anywhere I'm not wanted.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Grimor » Thu May 30, 2013 3:43 pm

If anyone says anything, just say you were trying to get to a Tim Horton's and your TomTom took you down that route
Grimor
Trail-Blazer

Name: Dennis

by Wahugg » Thu May 30, 2013 6:01 pm

If you don't have permission to be on the land, then don't be there.

I don't care if you mean no harm, or if the law say's it's okay to drive in with out 'No Trespassing' signs; If you don't have permission then don't go onto the property. It's completely against the core offroading principle.

Our family owns lot's of land and the biggest problem we have is people trespassing; messing around with equipment, stealing things, and messing up farm roads. You may not think you're causing any harm, but by just going on the land you cause lot's of it. If someone saw you go on the land without permission (such as the muddy tracks you saw), then this someone might then help themselves. This person might not be as considerate as you and could tear up the roads and steal equipment/goods.

Look at it this way; If you saw a house that had a door unlocked or doggie door you could fit through, would you let yourself in and make yourself at home just because there wasn't a sign saying not to?

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Wahugg wrote:Look at it this way; If you saw a house that had a door unlocked or doggie door you could fit through, would you let yourself in and make yourself at home just because there wasn't a sign saying not to?

-Wahugg

Well this may be a lil off topic, but I'll run this scenario by you. If you leave your front door wide open, go to the store, and come home, door still wide open, and there is a stranger sitting on your couch... You tell him to leave, and he does empty handed. he didn't steal or break anything. Has a crime been committed?

In short... No. There is no burglary charge applicable because you can't prove his intent to commit a crime therein, also trespassing is only arrestable once the trespass is committed after being placed on a tresspass log by the property owner. Loitering and prowling... ehhh, it'd be very difficult to get a conviction on that. Best you can do is before he leaves, have the cops come and place him on the trespass log. That way if he does it again, he goes to jail.

But thats just Florida technicalities for you. :scratch:
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by Wahugg » Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:
Well this may be a lil off topic, but I'll run this scenario by you. If you leave your front door wide open, go to the store, and come home, door still wide open, and there is a stranger sitting on your couch... You tell him to leave, and he does empty handed. he didn't steal or break anything. Has a crime been committed?

In short... No. There is no burglary charge applicable because you can't prove his intent to commit a crime therein, also trespassing is only arrestable once the trespass is committed after being placed on a tresspass log by the property owner. Loitering and prowling... ehhh, it'd be very difficult to get a conviction on that. Best you can do is before he leaves, have the cops come and place him on the trespass log. That way if he does it again, he goes to jail.

But thats just Florida technicalities for you. :scratch:

If a person would do that then sure, legally they may not have committed a crime, but I'm talking more along the lines of common decency or 'doing the right thing'. I hope that your consciousness would tell you to stay out of a house, barn, farm, trail, cabin or whatever if it's not yours, even if you could do it and not get in trouble. (Not saying that you would)

It's kinda like those open carry videos on the internet of guys trying to get an 'encounter' with the police. Legally you can do it (where I live at least), but why do it if all your trying to do is prove the point that you legally can and to provoke the police?

-Wahugg

EDIT: Grammar reasons
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Oh yea, I see what your saying. I just felt like sharing some strange legal knowledge
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by JorDaneeKey » Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Oh yea, I see what your saying. I just felt like sharing some strange legal knowledge

Florida = strange
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee

by v7guy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 am

NY = full retard
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am

Wahugg wrote:
Our family owns lot's of land and the biggest problem we have is people trespassing;

-Wahugg

Unless it's posted it's not trespassing...

And you home is different than a trail with nothing much near it.

And I've never once got permission to drive on FS roads.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

Next

Return to Eastern U.S.