Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed Black Mountian and a Revisit to Snake Trail

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Cable810 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am

When the Fall Color Toru was over the president of the TROLLS Four Wheelers asked me what I was working and I told him what I was. He said that we should get out trucks dirty some Friday! 3 weeks after the Fall Color Tour I was able to wheel on a Friday!! I shot him a PM teliin hin the 2nd of November was the only date that was going to work cause I have to work the following weekend. We met at 10am at Alpena State Road in Cheboygan Michigan and headed out from there. We headed towards Black Mountian not using the ORV Route but Seasonal Roads. During the trip he explaned that their Club was looking to add to the Black Moutian ORV Route and maintaine it with the DNRs permission.

Once we were done wheelin in and around Black Mountian we headid out towards Snake Trail and I led them through Snake Trail. We couldn't have asked for a better day than that day!! We had been getting LOTS of rain the 2 weeks before the 2nd. It was snowing that but only in certian spots. It would snow here then we'd keep going and there'd be no snow. Once we got into snake trail and towards the end of it, it started to snow.

Black Mountian Videos

Snake Trail Video

[youtube]8n1l614fpag/youtube]

Black Mountian Pictures:

The water is Black Lake.

Snake Trail Pictures:

The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Mudwheelin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Looks like it was a good time! What kind of exhaust do you have? It sounds nice and deep.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Cable810 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:21 pm

2nd time through Snake Trail and Its been a blast each time!! Now I just need to run it backwards and make a left turn where the trail comes to a T. I added a Thrush Muffler 17657 I havn't even welded it in yet.

There are more pictures and video to come!

My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Nice trip man! cool pictures.!
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Cody_S » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 am

Cable810 wrote:2nd time through Snake Trail and Its been a blast each time!! Now I just need to run it backwards and make a left turn where the trail comes to a T. I added a Thrush Muffler 17657 I havn't even welded it in yet.

There are more pictures and video to come!

I love this picture.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Cable810 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 pm

^ Thanks!! If anyone whats to and can make that picture better please do!
My Build
Cable810
Veteran

by Cable810 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Mudwheelin wrote:Looks like it was a good time! What kind of exhaust do you have? It sounds nice and deep.

Wow I just saw this... Its a thrush muffler, part number is in my build thread.
My Build
Cable810
Veteran

by Wh1pple » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Nice area, I need to check that out some day.
Mine: 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 - Lifted 3" on 32" Cooper STT's (Soon to SAS)
Sister's: 2004 GMC Envoy 4x4 - Waiting to be Lifted
Wh1pple
Cruiser

Name: Levi
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Wahugg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Just saw this thread..

Our Cranberry Farm is located of off US 23 on Alpena State Road there in Cheboygan Michigan. Right next to lake 16 and duck marsh. We've had some problems with ATV's, and some Jeeps cutting the locks and trespassing, often messing with equipment and leaving huge ruts in the peat/sand roads.

Make sure non of your buddies are the ones doing this

-Wahugg

Edit:

And for some friendly advice, if your ever in the area again, make sure you stop by Black Mountain Lodge. It's south of Alpena state Road at the intersection of Krouse Rd. and Twin Lakes Rd. They have some the best food you will ever find. I don't know why they are where they are since it's in the middle of no where, but it's always full of friendly locals and they serve the best sirloin I have ever had. Also they have fantastic lobster and crab.
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Cable810 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Wahugg wrote:Just saw this thread..

Our Cranberry Farm is located of off US 23 on Alpena State Road there in Cheboygan Michigan. Right next to lake 16 and duck marsh. We've had some problems with ATV's, and some Jeeps cutting the locks and trespassing, often messing with equipment and leaving huge ruts in the peat/sand roads.

Make sure non of your buddies are the ones doing this

-Wahugg

Edit:

And for some friendly advice, if your ever in the area again, make sure you stop by Black Mountain Lodge. It's south of Alpena state Road at the intersection of Krouse Rd. and Twin Lakes Rd. They have some the best food you will ever find. I don't know why they are where they are since it's in the middle of no where, but it's always full of friendly locals and they serve the best sirloin I have ever had. Also they have fantastic lobster and crab.

Talk about a small world haha! We started on Alpena State Road and got onto some 2 tracks and what not in the Aera. No, the club I'm a member of the members wouldn't cut locks or anything like that. We actually talked about people who do that crap and how WE(the responsiable ORV/ATVer) take the blame at the last meeting. Thus the limitations we offroaders face and how we are looked down upon. So you own the farm or you work for the company that owns the farm?? You must me talking about the Chalet, or atleasts thats what my parents and thier frindes call it.

Next time your going to be up this way hit me up, I'm only 45 minutes from Cheboygan.

Wh1pple wrote:Nice area, I need to check that out some day.

Its my favortie aera to wheel in the aera. If your ever up this what give me a shout!
My Build
Cable810
Veteran

by Wh1pple » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I'll be sure to do that if I find myself up there.
Mine: 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 - Lifted 3" on 32" Cooper STT's (Soon to SAS)
Sister's: 2004 GMC Envoy 4x4 - Waiting to be Lifted
Wh1pple
Cruiser

Name: Levi
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Wahugg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Cable810 wrote:Talk about a small world haha! We started on Alpena State Road and got onto some 2 tracks and what not in the Aera. No, the club I'm a member of the members wouldn't cut locks or anything like that. We actually talked about people who do that crap and how WE(the responsiable ORV/ATVer) take the blame at the last meeting. Thus the limitations we offroaders face and how we are looked down upon. So you own the farm or you work for the company that owns the farm?? You must me talking about the Chalet, or atleasts thats what my parents and thier frindes call it.

Next time your going to be up this way hit me up, I'm only 45 minutes from Cheboygan.

Michigan Cranberry Co. is one of the several farms that our family owns. My Grandfather established it, and more recently I find myself up there quite a bit. All the other family members have their own farms to run, and Grandfather is getting a little older so he is showing me the ropes in-case I want to run it after college.

I've never quite heard the farm called the Chalet. There is a Chalet (more like a log cabin) on the other side of the lake owned by an older man. Last I heard he had passed away, but we do not own it.

If you were getting on Alpena State Road from 23, then I bet you noticed how well the roads were maintained, and then it got substantially smaller and ruffer. We maintain the first 8 miles of the road right till it gets to the gate structure. The state won't do jack shit out there so I doubt they will help your club out at all with the roads. Even if you maintained them. The state and the DNR has a hard on to keep anything from happening out there and approve nothing. We've brought the state to court 3 different times for not issuing us a permit to excavate peat for the cranberry beds. It went to the State Supreme Court 3 times, and we have won all three times. And guess what, we still don't have a permit!! But after the 3rd time, they have left as alone. The only reason we get away with maintaining the road is because we paid them to do it. But they didn't do anything except take the money and turn their heads. So we go ahead and maintain it now.

Sorry to get in a rant, and sorry for being discouraging, but I doubt your club will successfully reach a deal with the DNR or any state agencies.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

by Cable810 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Wow small world! My mom wants to know if we can get some Cranberries :D
We were trying to get some of the 2 tracks we were on added to the Black Mountian ORV Route, we even offered to maintain the trail and nothing. We did endup with the Indian River ORV Route Maintence. I hear ya, I don't really like the way the DNR goes about things around here. But the road was really nice!!!

I mean let me know when your up here so we can get our trucks dirty!!! I wasn't referring to the Chalet as your farm but the Lodge if you've ever heard it called that. Cause I'm pretty sure when my parents say The Chalet they are referring to the Lodge.
My Build
Cable810
Veteran

by Wahugg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Well if your mum wants cranberries, she can only buy them by the 1200 pound crates right now!! It's out of season, and we primarily deal with companies such as Ocean Spray, Kroger, Meijer and companies overseas. But if she want's a more manageable size or cranberries, 12oz, then she should check out about registering for our yearly tours around October during Harvest time. Or she should check in at the Local kroger around that time

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Return to Eastern U.S.