Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Guilford, IN Bonnell Road

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 am

Not much of a offroading trip, but a place worth checking out. Used to really need 4x4 back when I first went down there, but it has been cleaned up and mud holes closed from misuse over the years. The old Devil's Staircase was a dirt n gravel rutted hill, but is now chip n seal pavement. Still has some cool scenery and some tunnels, bridges, and creek crossings.

Old county road that snakes over and under the RR tracks. At one point when the leaves are off, you can see part of an old train that came off the tracks and ended up in the creeks decades ago. Water levels greatly affect this area and right now it is really dry. While area is supposedly haunted as well.

Anyway, some pics of taking my girls out for a little adventure.

Had to teach the little one how to squat and pee in the wild since there is nothing around for about a 20-30 minute drive. Sliders help the preggo wife to do the same. Never thought of them as handles, but she said they work great.

First tunnel built in 1916 maybe

Having fun

Quality guardrail for no apparent reason

Maybe 18 inches deep as best, but ten feet over is a few feet deep, so you gotta watch where you go

Another tunnel

Another tunnel

Nothing difficult, but can be in right conditions. People bring atvs and SxS and Jeeps down all the time. When water is deeper, it has some fishing holes. Lots of the roads around have similar stuff to explore in the hills and valleys. Had some scary experiences..one with a skinny bridge, steep hill, and stock 1/2 ton. Needed 150 foot of strap, lifted powerstroke, neighbors telephone, and several beers after to get through un-hurt. However, it is a definitely a place the family wants to go back and explore.

One local road rally group gets $65 a vehicle to run this area with a map, but I think that would take out all the fun.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by JorDaneeKey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:05 am

Nothing like a relaxing drive off the beaten path with the family! Awesome pics! And it's nice to know the rock sliders come in so handy for us preggos on the trails. :D
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Central U.S.