Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Badlands Run Friday 3/8/13

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Regulator1175 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Sorry for the last minute notice, and I realize that because it is a Friday there may not be much interest. I will be at the park at 10am and running all day. I have my state bowling tourney that weekend and it is being held in Lafayette. I figured if I had to drive down there Friday anyway I may as well go in the morning and have the day to play. Anyone want to join me?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Regulator1175 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:12 am

Well once again I feel like Gilligan. I set out on a simple cruise, and end up completely screwed!

Today I took the truck out to the Badlands for a little bit of off roading. This was as simple trip meant as a shakedown to put a little stress on my new transmission and make sure all is going to hold. Instead, on a simple rock climb that I have done countless times with no issue, I decided to grenade my G-80. About half way up the rock it started slipping, I felt it hop a couple times and then the locker locked and immediately decided it had come to the end of its life. I got it to dry ground, pulled the rear drive shaft, and pulled the cover on the rear diff. Sure enough, there were a few large chunks of metal, as well as a lot of small pieces. It looks as if a good portion of the teeth in the locker itself sheered. I added fluid back into the diff and managed to limp 30 miles or so into town. Along the way the c clip on the passenger side decided it was done and my passenger side tire and axle decided it wanted to start walking around a bit. This made for a really shitty ride, very difficult to control, and also a lot of scared vehicles on the road around me. Thankfully the brand new pads held up well and the caliper kept the wheel in place enough to get it into the hotel parking lot.

Big thanks to Mike Barton who once again came to my rescue, finding me a ride to him in Indy 90 miles away, and provided me with his truck and flat bed trailer so that I can get my truck home!!!

Cue the Six Million Dollar Man music!

“We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.”

I called my wife this afternoon, dreading the inevitable "now how much is this going to cost" comment. Amazingly, I got just the opposite and exactly what I was going to argue to her. She said, "Why do you keep rebuilding it with the same parts if all they are going to do is break! Why not build it stronger so you don't have as many problems and can enjoy yourself more while your out there?" :eek: :eek: :eek:

After a long discussion about what I would like to do and the costs, I think the decision has been made.

The truck will be getting a hand full of upgrades. I will move up to the bigger and stronger SS rear axle with 4.10 gears front and rear and lockers. Also on that build list will be the already planned longer control arms to push the axle back and fit 35" tires under him. I will be taking the transmission I just replaced in to have it serviced and rebuild and prepare it for replacement with the motor I have currently sitting on the stand in the garage. I am abandoning my quest for 300k about 25k short, but it is time to give this truck some new life and allow me to enjoy this hobby without worrying who may be available to come get me when it breaks.

That all being said, it will take time and money and will be a build that will progress over the summer as I can. My current schedule has me heading to the VA in Battle Creek, MI for a 12 week in patient program following Memorial Day. When I return my wife will be pushing 8 months pregnant and I will be needed around the house to help with our kids and then the new one following the birth. I believe at this point my off road plans are finished for 2013, which will allow me the time to build correctly this time, not just rush to get wheels back on the ground!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Central U.S.