Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Sunday 6/3 Badlands Offroad park Attica, IN

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:21 pm

JamesDowning wrote:That was why I was thinking low range. Nearly 1/3 the stress on the pawl. Still could be too much though.

Yeah. It would likely handle it fine, but that's something really expensive to break if you just don't NEED to be doing it like that...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Regulator1175 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 pm

JamesDowning wrote:A couple things came to mind while watching that video, the first was:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Albert Einstein
:mrgreen:

As Mike has said, I am trying different lines and different approaches. I did make it out on my own power the last time, it just took a lot of stacking. I wanted to give it another shot this trip. I have stood at the top and watched Kyle come up without any issues, so I know it is doable. As I have said many many times, I am learning. This is an entirely new culture to me, I have always been a speed bump dragger. While I don't want to break shit while trying, I still want to try and push my limits and try to learn from it.

JamesDowning wrote:Another is the inner and outer circle inspections and properly assessing a situation:
http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/vehic ... -planning/
It's a lesson to all of us to check under the center of the vehicle, not just look at the tires.

I did get out a couple times, as seen in the video, wanting to look over what was going on and see where my issues were. I will admit that one of the younger guys that was with me was saying that it looked like I was getting hung up on the rear end. I took that to mean the control arms because that is what it felt like in the seat. I did tell him that Mike was the spotter and that I needed to follow his direction. (Not trying to throw you under the bus here Mike, just meant that I was trying to tell him that there should only be one person in control and talking to the driver.)

JamesDowning wrote:Last - NEVER help a winch with your vehicle's own power. It doesn't help anything, and only puts more strain on the winch in the form of impulse loads. If anything, try to prevent slack on the cable by applying some brakes when necessary. Only ever rev an engine up to assist with providing more wattage to the winch. Never be in a forward or reverse gear.

Again, I am learning. I hope I didn't screw anything up Mike. This is the first time I have been on either end of a winch line and honestly didn't know any better. I thought I was helping.

JamesDowning wrote:Regulator - most likely your rear diff/axle is ok. Your drive shaft was the fuse there, and I would doubt there was further damage internal to the axle. I would also assume your front diff is ok (however I would likely suspect that the disconnect is blown or the intermediate shaft is stripped).

I just got the truck back drivable yesterday. I swapped out the rear end, new (to me) drive shaft, and new U-joints. I have driven it a bit today with the half shafts still in place and can hear rattling / grinding in the front diff. There is also a decent puddle of 75-90 under the truck. (Yes it is 75-90, it is a rather distinctive smell) There was no forward power to the front wheels. Then I unloaded the truck at the house there was power in reverse but I could feel it slipping. Tomorrow morning the tires are coming off and the half shafts are coming out. Hopefully I will have a better idea where the oil is coming from.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am

Wasn't trying to chastise you or anything, just throwing out my thoughts and observations.

Lets us know what the root failure was in the diff. It sounds like a new failure mode that we haven't seen before.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Regulator1175 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Wasn't trying to chastise you or anything, just throwing out my thoughts and observations.

Lets us know what the root failure was in the diff. It sounds like a new failure mode that we haven't seen before.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and observations. I just hope that I can learn from them.

I don't expect that the front diff is going to get torn down for a while. I am hoping to overhaul the engine/diff that is on the stand in my garage and drop them in together. I just need to find the money for the overhaul.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

Previous

Return to Central U.S.