Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Bad First trip out!

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by The Roadie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:02 pm

James has the summary of my concerns down perfectly. Except what's a "5 minute warning"? From the property owner? Was it REALLY the owner on site giving permission, was permission being given by the owner's relative of some sort?

Whatever the situation, there's NO EXCUSE for avoiding the authorities. That's probably the thing that gets our spidey sense tingling more than anything else.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:44 pm

DavidRant0n wrote:Hows bout watching the video before calling me an idiot...

Watched the video.

You're an idiot.

You had no business being there, even if it was "legal". No lift, shitty street tires. You might as well have tried wheeling a minivan.

People like you clog up trails around here and people like me (us) have to winch you out or go around you. Yeah I'd have pulled you out. But only so more of your diff oil didn't end up in the creek.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DavidRant0n » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 pm

F U I pulled lifted 4x4s more than I got pulled! When I have a minute I will explain everything to make things clear and make you eat your smart a$$ words.
DavidRant0n

by rjpoog1989 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:00 pm

DavidRant0n wrote:F U I pulled lifted 4x4s more than I got pulled! When I have a minute I will explain everything to make things clear and make you eat your smart a$$ words.

Please stop digging a deeper hole for yourself :roll:
Ryan

Rule #76: "No excuses, play like a champion"
rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

Name: Ryan Papuga
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Gordinho80 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm

DavidRant0n wrote:F U I pulled lifted 4x4s more than I got pulled! When I have a minute I will explain everything to make things clear and make you eat your smart a$$ words.

Comments like this will not help your case at all. You just told off a Moderator on this forum... You're better of not posting anything else until you post your "story" that will apparently clear things up.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by navigator » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 pm

here is what I think happened.....
David bumped into a buddy of his who had another "friend" named Buddy.
Buddy told David and his buddy that he knew a cool place they could wheel...
they all followed not knowing (or maybe even asking) if it was someplace they should be or not..
David got stuck and Buddy, the buddy of David's buddy got scared and left.

David, I doubt you can fix this story now but just stick around awhile and make sure you have permission to be where you wheel, tread lightly and it will get better.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by djthumper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:

Comments like this will not help your case at all. You just told off a Moderator on this forum... You're better of not posting anything else until you post your "story" that will apparently clear things up.

My sediments exactly... Though slightly extended to 4 moderators and 2 founders. He started in on Phil first...
djthumper

Name: Larry

by gotspeed1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:41 pm

:lurk: This is what I miss when I go to that "job" everyday. Frickin' awesome.

Seriously though, learn to listen when you should. I'm going to assume you're a kid (atleast I hope you are). Don't worry, I'm am to in relation to the demographics of this forum and that doesn't automatically disqualify you from being able to think. Posting, in your first thread on this site, pictures and video of you tearing up the environment is not a good way to get started. These are the reasons more and more trails get shut down, people tearing shit up and not staying on a proper trail. Regardless of it (possibly) being private land, what are you going to do when you're on public land, the same thing!

There is A LOT to learn here. Hell, a lot of guys here have spent their hard earned money to go through trial and error to make it easier on fellas like yourself. It's the least you could do to give them the respect they deserve for seeing the ability to make a grocery getter into a trail worthy vehicle.
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Philberto » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 pm

djthumper wrote:My sediments exactly... Though slightly extended to 4 moderators and 2 founders. He started in on Phil first...

Quoting djthumper, but addressed to Rant0n:

Sediments: sentiments that sink down to the bottom, just like you (Rant0n) in the video! Glad to know I wasn't the only one who saw this as much more problematic than a simple "stuck" video.

On the more serious note, Treading Lightly not only distinguishes you as a mature, responsible offroader, it saves those of us who practice it the frustration of seeing perfectly good offroad areas shut down to wheeling due to the overwhelming negative publicity which extends from those who simply go whomping wherever. You should have expected a good flaming just from the mention of your "Buddy" running from the cops. Had this point been neglected, and had you simply been running un(der)-equipped on a legal trail, then you would simply have been chided for being unprepared.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by DavidRant0n » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 pm

The place is legal to an extent. The owner doesn't mind as long as we dont dump trash and stay away from him on his horse. The police have an understandable problem with guys not rinsing off in the river before tracking mudd down the streets.

After my no good recovery guy left me behind leaving the hill too wet and slick to climb I tried faster and faster using the trail (solid river bottom) and still didn't make it.

Next solo attempt was at a different angle on pea gravel. (No rooster tail of pea gravel!) Obviously to keep traction on pea gravel and gain speed you need distance.

Maybe I am an idiot but I had no idea that pea gravel could create a 2' ledge which I obviously found on my last attempt.

By then some good guys showed up with a high lift. We jacked the front and placed bigger rocks under the front tires. After we lowered it I went for a swim to dig and put rocks under the back tires which never broke the surface of gravel. High Centered!

The TB actually did extremely well and impressed jeep and four wheeler guys both. The only damage was water damage from the pictures. Until the high center issue in the creek I believe that everyone on this site would be very impressed!

By the way, my strap was in the A hole's pickup that left me behind.

This was not a ditch, near a road and I don't understant what 200" powerlines have to do with off roading.

The only so called "buddy" that could help did indeed leave me behind.

The 5 minute warning was given to my true friend that was waiting on the street for me. (maybe loitering? they didn't say or give any sort of warning)
Last edited by djthumper on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Combined 10 separate posts to some what resemble a single story.
DavidRant0n

by Gordinho80 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 am

Dude! Please combine your posts into 1! That will also earn you some points back...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by DavidRant0n » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 am

:woot: :cheers: :salut:
Last edited by DavidRant0n on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
DavidRant0n

by djthumper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am

No, I was fixing your mess, lose the attitude because so far you are not earning any kind of respect around here. So keep it to a single post and not string out a sentence per post. Right now we are being nicer than we normally would be.
djthumper

by DavidRant0n » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:25 am

THANKS!!!! I'm learning how to operate this site. Could this be a new beginning for me or do I need to do some more explaining?
DavidRant0n

by The Roadie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:50 am

The 5 minute warning was given BY WHOM? The cops? For what?

Littering the street with mud is definitely an offense against the public.

Powerlines are often an issue because the roads underneath them are seldom legal trails.

Recommend you go read the Tread Lightly principles and then come back and discuss what you could have done better to demonstrate you knew what they were any why they're important.

And next time you need a buddy who's a true wingman, not an asshat.
The Roadie
Founder

by DavidRant0n » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 am

Warning by the cops I assume for loitering (waiting to see if I was ok), the police didn't say... I do my best to rinse off in the river not spinning my tires down the street. I am not sure the legality of trails under power lines but they are VERY tall towers on public property. (I happen to be an electrician and could not see any danger other than hitting one and destroying your vehicle.) Where can I find the tread lightly principles? And you are right I met the guy on the way to the trails. I will be going with more competent people for my next trip.

I am still a newbie but it appears I have some High ranking people watching me right now. I have some mod questions for the experts and if it isn't you guys should I take a shot in the dark with a forum search? (If tread lightly principles are there I'm too illeterate to find it). Thanks
Last edited by DavidRant0n on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
DavidRant0n

by djthumper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:59 am

djthumper

by DavidRant0n » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:16 am

WOW! I honestly followed about 2/3 of treading lightly. I have a serious communication problem with people... This should be somewhere BIG on The Forum's Home Page if it isn't already! I just di d a 180 on my opinion of most of the comments I received simply because I didn't understand the term. Morals are vital in my life and the one page I read really opened my eyes! I'm sorry. I was arguing blindly!
DavidRant0n

by Philberto » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:01 am

DavidRant0n wrote:WOW! I honestly followed about 2/3 of treading lightly. I have a serious communication problem with people... This should be somewhere BIG on The Forum's Home Page if it isn't already! I just di d a 180 on my opinion of most of the comments I received simply because I didn't understand the term. Morals are vital in my life and the one page I read really opened my eyes! I'm sorry. I was arguing blindly!

Tread lightly is featured prominently on banners on the site, not to mention that we will all actively preach it as well. We are a spokesperson for our sport each and every time we drive off the pavement, so it is important that we all do our part to present a positive image to John Q. Public.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by The Roadie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 am

DavidRant0n wrote:Warning by the cops I assume for loitering (waiting to see if I was ok),
That just gets everybody's spidey sense tingling. If they had a legitimate reason to be waiting on the edge of the pavement for you, that's not loitering - it's concern for your safety. But why didn't they just go back INTO the trail. Why wait in a place they can't see or communicate with you? I assume nobody had comm gear. That's nuts.
the police didn't say..
Again, very odd. Police don't just come along and hustle folks along in my town. If they have probable cause, they stop and talk to you. If you're parked illegally, they can discuss where to park legally. Or IF THE TRAIL WAS LEGAL, they could have just gotten away from pavement and back on the private property where the police would have no interest IF THE OWNER OF THE LAND GAVE PERMISSION. See why the situation just doesn't make sense from our point of view?
. I do my best to rinse off in the river not spinning my tires down the street.
So maybe other goofballs have gone into this trail system and messed up the street. So the police are trying to prevent littering (dripping mud on a public street is indistinguishable from littering). If there's no alternative than mudding up the street, it may simply not be a suitable place to offroad.
I am not sure the legality of trails under power lines but they are VERY tall towers on public property. (I happen to be an electrician and could not see any danger other than hitting one and destroying your vehicle.)
The power company pays for an easement on any land where they put their towers, and typically there's an access road following under the towers for maintenance and inspection. Sometimes, and sometimes not, these access roads are public access, and there should be signage for No Trespassing if they are not. The power company usually puts in and maintains the access, and they aren't forced to allow the public on them.
And you are right I met the guy on the way to the trails.
You met a stranger on the way to a trail you already knew about? (How?) Or you met the guy some other way and tagged along and he was the only source of information about how legal it was? You need a healthy dose of suspicion when you do trail planning and companion-vetting.
I will be going with more competent people for my next trip.
Competent, honest, trustworthy.....all that stuff. Are there any 4X4 clubs you can contact/join? Are there any on-line trail reports/reviews you can find? It would not be out of line to just GO to the police station and discuss legal offroading places they know about, AND what they know of illegal places that the asshats are using that you should AVOID so you stay off their radar screen and don't get in trouble. Are you in a small town or a larger one? Could you fill out your profile so we can help you search?

I am still a newbie but it appears I have some High ranking people watching me right now.
EVERYBODY is watching to see if we can help understand how to keep you safe out there. If your rear seat area went underwater and took out your rear fuse block and BCM you could have a HUGE repair bill and long downtime.
I have some mod questions for the experts and if it isn't you guys should I take a shot in the dark with a forum search? (If tread lightly principles are there I'm too illeterate to find it). Thanks
Start by reading a few build threads, and the master thread about lift and accessories. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20 Then define your mission and what you want the vehicle to accomplish. My personal mission is to be able to live out of (or on top of) the vehicle unsupported for a week or more. With challenging but not the most extreme terrain possible. That's also known as Expedition Driving, and there's a site devoted to that pursuit called expeditionportal.com
The Roadie
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Central U.S.