Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED:Kisatche National Forest (light trail, got stuck!)

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by 05ls_soldier » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm

It was a dry day for once andr i wanted to test out the new roadian at2s so i headed north to kisatche... this forest has a huge variety of trails, but of course being stock w/o a g80 i have to take it easy! ended up high centering on a decieving mound of dirt, and have since invested in a hi-lift and some makeshift bridging latters, youll see why

Starting off, nice view of the trail, (sorry for the glare)

Had to stop and get a look of the tb in the woods

Then found a nice little hill to flex a bit on

And then this little deceptive mound of dirt!!!!!!

So the recovery process starts

Looking for sticks

Found some

And now the scary part......

The reason i know own a hi-lift....

Stock bottle Jack on an angle, in dirt

All in all it was a good time, a great chance to learn a thing or two, and my girlfriend got a good kick out of it!!!!
Last edited by Trail X on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Title
Save the gold, I'm investing in lead!
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

Name: Nate
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 2WD

by The Roadie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Thxs for the report. One thing that sometimes helps if it's just a little hi-centering is to have the passenger stand on the corner of the vehicle that might help traction, while the driver uses a little left foot braking to stop the torque from leaking out of spinning wheels in the air. Google for "left foot braking" and learn more about the trick.

Also, did you get the Wheel-Mate HiLift adapter? Without it or rock sliders, you'll be hard pressed to find a location on the bumpers that you can get the HiLift a place to grab onto it.

Finally, PRACTICE in your driveway first with the HiLift and carry a can of WD40 to lubricate the up/down latch and lifting pins. Learn how it can ratchet and break your arm or jaw with the handle if it starts going down on its own.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by 05ls_soldier » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Yes, we tried that. Unfortunatly I have a recently modified powerglide tranny (just a joke my 2-4 band is broken, the main reason I stayed on such an easy trail!) so 2nd gear was a no go.
No I dont have that adapter kit, I will deffinatly have to look into picking on up before my next adventure. Unfortunatly, that may not be untill January. My tranny will be fixed and ill have my other mods!
Luckily the army is keeping me busy untill then! I have a little 30 day mock deployment, then 15 days of leave between now and then, so i wont be sitting around bored! But i may have to post some pic's of the good times we have in HMMWV (humvee's) Those things sure are fun!
Save the gold, I'm investing in lead!
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

Name: Nate
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Trail X » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 pm

The Roadie wrote:Finally, PRACTICE in your driveway first with the HiLift and carry a can of WD40 to lubricate the up/down latch and lifting pins. Learn how it can ratchet and break your arm or jaw with the handle if it starts going down on its own.

X2 on practicing with it... can't stress that enough. So many people think they are automatically saved by having one of those things, then don't realize how to actually use it.

I also prefer penetrating lubricant like PB blaster on the lifting mechanism to WD-40. (WD actually stands for water displacement which is it's primary job... WD-40 is actually only about 15% lubricant (mineral oil, which provides only light lubrication) and is primarily made of gasses and mineral spirits.)
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Central U.S.