Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

PLANNING: 2010 ORTB West Coast Event

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Philberto » Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 pm

** EDIT **: See the following thread for the west coast meet: http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1284

Since TECORE III is going on next month, and some members have mentioned the idea to me, I've decided to post up this thread for an ORTB West Coast event.

Everybody please chime in with your ideas for dates and locations and fun things to do. Let's see if we can beat the TECORE attendance!

I feel that for easiest accessibility, we should look around the El Dorado or Tahoe/Reno areas. My availability is centered around the weekends, but is pretty constant throughout the year.

** EDIT **: See the following thread for the west coast meet: http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1284
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Tue May 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Posting for interest. I can probably make most time scenarios work with adequate notice.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 18, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm game. How far off are you thinking, guys?

(ADD)
Been searching this El Dorado Canyon area. Looks really cool. What else is known about this area around Tahoe?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Tue May 18, 2010 3:21 pm

I grew up camping all around El Dorado... beautiful areas, and the Rubicon is out there... :poke:

Why don't you post up some of those trails you told me about near Tahoe/Reno?
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Reno/Tahoe area.

Here is some listed trails with-in an hour or two.

Billy Bobs, Bronco Canyon, Budweiser Canyon, Hunter Lake, Moon Rocks, Steve's Loop, Twister all close to Reno.

Barney Riley Trail, Barrett Lake, Bear valley, Deer Valley, El Dorado Canyon, Fordyce Creek, High Rock Canyon, Rubicon, Pine Nut Mountains, Sand Mountain.

All of these can be found at http://www.fourwheeler.com in thier "Best cities" to wheel in section.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 pm

I want to wait to hear OregTrailBlazin, Roadie, and Teebes chime in with their availability before starting to figure dates, since I know from wheeling with Roadie and Teebes that they are must-haves on any trip for sheer anecdotal knowledge alone, and I owe Johnny a trip since he was sick as a dog during our last trip and couldn't make it.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Philberto wrote:I want to wait to hear OregTrailBlazin, Roadie, and Teebes chime in with their availability before starting to figure dates, since I know from wheeling with Roadie and Teebes that they are must-haves on any trip for sheer anecdotal knowledge alone, and I owe Johnny a trip since he was sick as a dog during our last trip and couldn't make it.

Absolutely. :Iagree:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by The Roadie » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 am

I'm sure here and very interested. Lake Tahoe is wonderful, but very high elevation and the snow melts very late. I've done week-long trips on the west side of the Sierra Nevada, and others on the east side, and far prefer the harsher east side to the touristy National Forest side. But there's great weekends to be had around where I broke my tie rod end northeast of Fresno. If we're doing a long weekend, Big Bear might still be more central for the Socal folks. More trails than you can finish in three days just around Big Bear. Or Idyllwild. Tahoe deserves a week by itself. But while I'm contracting, and not a permanent employee yet, I have no vacation with pay, so all I can take is weekends until I know if I'm going to be converted. And if the job doesn't last, THEN I'll have all the time for a long expedition, but less money to enjoy it. Sigh...
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by SteveTB03 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:42 am

I'd be willing to go on a trip for the west it sounds pretty fun. I've never been to the Tahoe area or anywhere you guys have mentioned for that matter, so it'll be pretty fun I think to experience a big trip with everyone here.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by Philberto » Wed May 19, 2010 9:07 am

Big bear may be central for us socal guys, Bill, but I don't really think it qualifies as central if we're throwing the WA and OR guys into the mix. Speaking of, haven't heard from Johnny much lately, and Doratus disappeared too I think.
Philberto
Lifer

by The Roadie » Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

Distances are so large out here it's like asking Florida members to go to TECORE. 12 hours driving to a central location and back at the end means four days min for the trip. And destinations worth going to all have more than two days worth of wheeling while you're there, and that would give less time for socializing except around the campfire until midnight every night. An event like MORA was scheduled to be two days on-site in Missouri, but I scheduled 12 days for it, and then broke on the way home, but that's an entirely different story. Alek and I planned vacation/expeditions around it and I don't think it will ever be repeated, partially because the offroading there wasn't really challenging or scenic. At least with any west coasters there.

So my thoughts are that a BIG west coast event should be planned as a vacation kind of trip, with three days min over a weekend at the central location - available for close-by folks to visit for the weekend. But WA/OR and San Diego members would have to plan real time off of work, and firmly commit to the event. Without firm plans, even with the most enthusiastic intentions, a relatively remote meet just doesn't have much chance of happening - see what happened to the Lake Havasu and recent series of San Diego intended meets.

Thoughts?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 am

I understand the situation your in with work Bill. I realize you can't jeopardize it and that a days drive to go drive in the woods isn't necessarily high on your priority list. I respect that.

This very much will be a vacation for me with the possible extension from the Tahoe area to somewhere else. If I could I'd schedule 12 days off for this trip too and dove tail in 3 or 4 days in the Steen's. Spend time at the John Day fossil beds but for right now only this trip to the Reno/Tahoe area is being discussed and it's planning.
I can tell you definitively I will be doing some kind of a trip and I'm 99% sure Donny will come too, if not too bad for him. The idea of Tahoe is not for the scenery but the local. Hoping to appease all equally. I wish you could make it. If you can't I will still ask for you to please be a Steward for this group and it's efforts.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Wed May 19, 2010 12:21 pm

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. I also know that the main reason for the failure of the Lake Havasu Meet was extreme lack of firm committment. Given that we wouldn't be looking at anything like renting out hotel rooms or the like, I think we may be able to make possibly a Sequoia NF or the like work... maybe even Lone Pine/Bishop or something similar. What are your thoughts?
Philberto
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed May 19, 2010 12:34 pm

:raspberry: I am gonna have to back out of this one. :raspberry:

10 hours to Tecore is one thing, but like Bill said he scheduled 12 days, I dont have 12 days for a west coast run...yet.

Anyway, have fun and good luck getting everyone together.

I hope that next year i can get a real midwest offroad event planned. Badlands where I go was named to Off-road magazines bucket list of places to wheel, as was Rausch Creek.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by bgwolfpack » Wed May 19, 2010 4:49 pm

HARDTRAILZ You put together a Midwest event in the Badlands a year from now and I'm on the list as confirmed. Between my wife and I we almost a hundred relatives to stay with from Minot to Rapid City. (really) Mmm free food.

Phil,

The Tahoe local seems reasonable considering the distance we all must travel from the north to the south and for anyone even closer or farther out. I think the Tahoe area has much to offer us and will be a great trip. How about mid July?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by djthumper » Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm

As much as I would like to make it, I doubt I will be able to since I already have a 2 week vacation to go up the Oregon and Washington in August.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Philberto » Wed May 19, 2010 5:53 pm

This event is still open to time slots, and I'm not sure yet if I'll even be able to do anything until later this year. Finances play a big role in my decision, and this month has been rough. Tahoe sounds nice, but I don't know the area too well. Will research and let you know what looks good.
Philberto
Lifer

by SteveTB03 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:25 pm

The havasu trip was a HUGE disaster so many flakes saying they're going and then canceling it was ridiculous.

But so you guys are all deciding on either bigbear or Tahoe area correct?
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by Trail X » Wed May 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Flakes seem to be common in any meet/event. I've learned that from TECOREs... I think at one time I had like 15 signed up for TECORE I. We ended up having 5 or so.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by fishsticks » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 pm

I've been watching this thread closely. I've talked to my wife about it already. If we can nail something down with at least a month's notice, I'm 95% in. For us, Tahoe would be preferable, since my wife has family there.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

Next

Return to Pacific U.S.