Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

PLANNING: SoCal trip?

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by That1Guy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 am

Ok, got word from an old teacher that he will be racing in Plaster City the 17th. and asked me for my help in pitting/chasing for him. I plan on going out some time friday, race starts at 8 am Sat. so if you guys wanted to do a day thing on friday til late at night im game, also maybe saturady night?? Not too positive on schedule but im taking the Baja to pre-run the course with the teacher.

So heres the schedule
Friday- head out, maybe play in borrego, go back to plaster, pre run, sleeeeeep
saturday- watch race, hang with teacher for a while/ mess around in the bug, maybe borrego??
sunday- no plans but could do some borrego action

Sorry to possibly bail, but I have promised the teacher since graduation I would be glad to help if he were to race.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by teebes » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:42 am

Is he racing district 38 AMA style? If so, what class? I've wanted to check that out for a while now, myself.
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by That1Guy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:28 pm

teebes wrote:Is he racing district 38 AMA style? If so, what class? I've wanted to check that out for a while now, myself.

Nope its an MDR race, iI believe its the Superstition 250. racing his class 13 buggy
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:22 pm

The Roadie wrote:Been to Bishop (area) a half-dozen times. Have you seen my Sierra Nevada expedition reports over on the OS? I really need to move them here. Where you going to be?

I'm gonna be in the Thousand Oak's area for a week during Thanksgiving. I don't know how far away from you I'll be, but if possible I would love to go out and see some of the desert you play in, I won't have the TB, but I take great pictures and will run all the winch line you need :mrgreen: .!!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:41 pm

That's just over 2 hours from me with no traffic. And it's 2 hours to the desert. No real short cuts from there. Easier to pick you up and go up to the San Bernardino mountains, unless you can drive down here the night before to make a full day of the desert. Are you trying to see as much of family in Thousand Oaks as possible, or need an excuse to see as little as possible. :cheers: You don't get much wheeling time when you're driving 4 hours each way to the good stuff. I'm sure there's stuff near Thousand Oaks I could research.

Are we going to be evaluating some coilovers by then? :finger: :poke: :angry whip:

[Yep, get used to it - your every post is an invitation for us to ask.] :shoot:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:44 pm

The Roadie wrote:That's just over 2 hours from me with no traffic. And it's 2 hours to the desert. No real short cuts from there. Easier to pick you up and go up to the San Bernardino mountains, unless you can drive down here the night before to make a full day of the desert. Are you trying to see as much of family in Thousand Oaks as possible, or need an excuse to see as little as possible. :cheers: You don't get much wheeling time when you're driving 4 hours each way to the good stuff. I'm sure there's stuff near Thousand Oaks I could research.

I'm down visiting the In-laws :wallbash: ... So if I could go for a over night trip..... well :excited: :excited: :drool3: ...!!!

Are we going to be evaluating some coilovers by then? :finger: :poke: :angry whip:

I sure hope the evaluation will be done long before then, I'm waiting on the next excuse why the topcaps are not here yet :wallbash:

[Yep, get used to it - your every post is an invitation for us to ask.] :shoot:

Completely understandable!! :thumright: You have shown far more patience than any other customer I've had :cheers:

I'm pretty sure I owe this forum a completed snorkel thread too :angry whip: :poke:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

by The Roadie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:50 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:So if I could go for a over night trip..... well :excited: :excited: :drool3: ...!!!
Assuming I'm not working, which is a good bet, overnight is no problem! We'll save you from the annoying inlaws.
The Roadie
Founder

by Trail X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:29 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:I'm pretty sure I owe this forum a completed snorkel thread too :angry whip: :poke:

Uhhh.... yeah!

I do beleive its been well over 12 months now. Shame on you. :slap: :angry whip:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
The Roadie wrote:Been to Bishop (area) a half-dozen times. Have you seen my Sierra Nevada expedition reports over on the OS? I really need to move them here. Where you going to be?

I'm gonna be in the Thousand Oak's area for a week during Thanksgiving. I don't know how far away from you I'll be, but if possible I would love to go out and see some of the desert you play in, I won't have the TB, but I take great pictures and will run all the winch line you need :mrgreen: .!!

I'm down to show you around... Nothing too spectacular, just a few dirt tracks that never see much vehicle traffic... but there's some nice hills to climb that I haven't had the nerve to try without a spotter... I'll PM you my cell.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Philberto » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:52 pm

The Roadie wrote:
OregTrailBlazin wrote:So if I could go for a over night trip..... well :excited: :excited: :drool3: ...!!!
Assuming I'm not working, which is a good bet, overnight is no problem! We'll save you from the annoying inlaws.

:awesome: Count me in!!!, I'm only 20 mins away from Thousand Oaks, and actually that's where my work is, so if you guys want to run around, I might be able to pressure wash the trucks afterwards. Will PM Oreg and Roadie my number, or you guys can PM me and I'll see what's around besides where I normally go.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by That1Guy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Bill if you guys go out that weekend dont forget to call!! I will most likely be able to show up for a while one of the days.

That1Guy
Addict

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm going to get down there on a saturday, and leaving on the following Saturday, so I would need to do it during the week if possible :? . I was also Thinking of running up to Corona one morning and check out Icon's place... :scratch:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

by The Roadie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 am

OregTrailBlazin wrote: I was also Thinking of running up to Corona one morning and check out Icon's place... :scratch:
I predict by Thanksgiving that there will be only a smoking hole in the ground where their R&D offices are, unless they cough up some product. Honestly - they're losing potential sales (admittedly while chasing other, better, opportunities) but by getting our hopes up OVER A YEAR AGO they effectively persuaded us from following some alternatives. Ain't fair. :evil:
The Roadie
Founder

by bgwolfpack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:53 pm

The Roadie wrote:
OregTrailBlazin wrote: I was also Thinking of running up to Corona one morning and check out Icon's place... :scratch:
I predict by Thanksgiving that there will be only a smoking hole in the ground where their R&D offices are, unless they cough up some product. Honestly - they're losing potential sales (admittedly while chasing other, better, opportunities) but by getting our hopes up OVER A YEAR AGO they effectively persuaded us from following some alternatives. Ain't fair. :evil:
Roadie, does Icon know there are other alternatives? What are those alternatives? Should that avenue be explored? Does Icon need to refresh their wanting in providing this product, or has the fire burnt out for them in regards to the return potential? :?:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by The Roadie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:14 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Roadie, does Icon know there are other alternatives? What are those alternatives? Should that avenue be explored? Does Icon need to refresh their wanting in providing this product, or has the fire burnt out for them in regards to the return potential? :?:
:hijack: The protoypes are getting assembled in Oregon now. There's movement. I just wanted to be a pain in the ass yet again to see if I can get them before Thanksgiving.

They missed a HUGE testimonial opportunity last year when I could have used them on the Rubicon. Now BDS gets that attaboy.

From talking to other equipment manufacturers, the offroad business is recovering and they're all getting busy again, so our market is getting pushed down in priority again. But I'm not a professional in the offroad marketing scheme of things - just an outsider.
The Roadie
Founder

by That1Guy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:19 pm

well my trip to Plaster City was miserable. Involves problems with the bug, no water for 10 hrs in 104 degree weather, calling 911 and im pretty sure having a heat stroke. but all is good now :safe:

That1Guy
Addict

by The Roadie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 am

Oh, Nick. Not even a hydration backpack? Nothing? A couple of lessons must have been learned, for sure. Glad nobody is permanently damaged. Are they?
The Roadie
Founder

by That1Guy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:22 am

The Roadie wrote:Oh, Nick. Not even a hydration backpack? Nothing? A couple of lessons must have been learned, for sure. Glad nobody is permanently damaged. Are they?

LOL it was dumb on my part but in my defense we were only supposed to be gone 15 minutes and had asked if he my other friend with the bug would mind turning around to get water then head back out. But he kept telling me i could and just catch back up but not going to just leaave someone like that.

Here is the novel post I made on another site.

Woke up saturday with no plans and decided to go to start/finsh after the first Trophy Truck passed our camp. mobbed through main looking for my old shop teachers camp but couldnt find it. Friend in another bug says hey, i need to go to the first checkpoint to talk to a guy about a job. it was only at Mile Mark 7 so i say why not cant take too long right?? wrong!! Two and a half hours trying to follow off the course to CP 1 and we finally get there and by that time im ready to pass out. so when my "friend" is done talking to the guy we take off and get in a race back to camp next to the bombing range, going good pinned in fourth on a emi whooped road and all of a sudden the road narrows, we get close but then i come off a woop and bang my engine/ rear bumper on a mound of dirt and instantly stall. no spark so i check the coil and cant see anything wrong. "Friend" in orange bug trys pulling us but got stuck. Get him un stuck and try again. get another 1/4 mile and he almost gets stuck again. i tell him while he can to go get my brother who was using my dads truck that i thought had 4wd. Ends up being 2wd and gets atuck getting to us. my brother before getting stuck asked the guy in the orange bug to come back and just pull us until he couldnt anymore and he says //// that im not going back there. Keep in mind at this point me and my friend hadnt had any water or anything to drink in 4 hours. I decide i would take the risk and try and get the bug started, luckily i found the problem, a wire came loose on the coil. so we start it up and strap in, go to put the clutch in and snap. the pedal breaks where the cable attaches. so we wait and wait and wait. finally after trying to give Mikey directions, (now about 7-8 hours with no drink and suuuuper dehydrated cuz i sweat alot), for two hours i decide to call 911 and ask for gps coordinates. I get mikey the coordinates and go sit on the shaded side of the bug. by this time im so delirious that i keep hearing a turbo spool up and quit trying to find it. maybe 15 minute later i hear what i thought was a buggy engine and say its just my mind playing tricks on me, then I realize its mikey trying to find a ways into the wash we were in and me and the guy who rode with me ran up to find him. he finally finds us and we get some water then he gets us to hard pack where his friends push the bug in first gear to get it goiing and I drive back to camp in first gear with no clutch. get back to cmp and ask the "friend" who happens to be an EMT why the //// he didnt come back to atleast show someone where we were/ give us water and he says "because i was tired and didnt feel like it". i then look over at my brother cuz he finally made it back to camp also and say we are leaving tonight. he says good and the "friend" says but i asked for sunday off and im gonna be pissed if we dont stay longer. i say that i dont give a //// were leaving tonight wheter you like it or not. Clean up a little and me my real friends and brother leave the "friend" at camp and go to in-n-out. come back and he hasnt moved anything and actually pulled the stuff out we had put away, granted it wasnt much. pack up and leave around 9, and on top of that my coilover mounts bent, broke my fiberglass hood, found out my trailing arm bolts are somewhat backed out/bent. But learned a life long lesson.

That1Guy
Addict

by bartonmd » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 am

Wow... I live in Indiana (read: not very hot, somewhat humid, lakes and streams all over the place), and carry a case of water at all times...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by The Roadie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes, a life-long lesson. If I had been in that situation any time in the previous 40 years, I would have been carrying a LOT more water when Teebes and I lost our parked trucks within sight of the Mexican border. Story for another day.

Your incident also shows you who can be trusted as a friend to save your ass when called upon. And who can't.
The Roadie
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Pacific U.S.