Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

PLANNING: Anza/Borrego flower viewing run - March 5-7, 2010

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
Philberto wrote:Speaking of Coyote Canyon, would you say that it would be foolish to attempt that trail with 31.55" tires?

Tire size is generally not the issue, driver skill, tire placement, and knowing your rig is the big issue. I have seen people with 31s go where 35s and 37s cant because the driver knew where to put his tires and weight and when to be on the gas and off..

:Iagree: :cheers:

Sure wish I could make the trip, really regret not making it while I was down there. Ahh well I should be in the neighborhood again around Sept or November..
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Philberto wrote:Speaking of Coyote Canyon, would you say that it would be foolish to attempt that trail with 31.55" tires?

Good question on the tire size Phil. I'm planing on making the trip down south this summer to see my Folks in Hemet. Hard to get everything lined up for a 2200 mile trip and three kids, Disneyland, San Diego, Las Vegas, Borrego, the wife and all that gas. (Maybe better off with just the trip to Utah, alone) :scratch:
If I do head toward SoCal I will be checking out Anza/Borrego one way or another. I've got to see it now. :camping:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Philberto » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Well, I'll be saving some of my vacation up to see you guys.

Wolfpack, I have a few days off this summer that I can schedule, so if you want to offroad, I'm a bit north of Borrego, but we have some nice spots around here, as well as Hungry Valley that I have yet to check out, or we could do a weekend trip to Borrego, camping 2 nights instead of just 1 this time, assuming we can rope Bill and/or Greg into going.

OregTrailBlazin, the offer is extended to you as well; it's a shame we missed you last time, but there's always this year to make things different. I've been meaning to make some forays into Sequoia National Forest, and maybe make the trek up to Red Lake or Coyote Lake, which would be great during summer, not sure how it'd be November.

Regardless, please drop me a line if you don't have my phone number, or actually I'll drop you a line because I'm changing numbers and phone co's this month. Can't wait to get some west-coast meet action going on!
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by AlekG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Waaaahaaaappennnnn?

|| Documenting and sharing overland travels ||
|| adventures and expeditions ||
|| Trailblazer modifications ||
AlekG
Off-Roader

Name: Alek
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:26 am

Aw, geez. New job. No time to post a lot. Wife couldn't take off, so I did just a day trip on Sunday. Got 2/3 of the way out there, and my phone rings. It was my former boss, who did a weekend with his Jeep, 3-4 miles off pavement on a very, very lightly traveled trail - dead battery. No jumper box and he left his spare battery at home. No hope of starting it. So I took a 1.5 hour side trip to save his sorry ass. Got pics. hehe. Amazing we both had cell coverage for the few minutes he needed to get me. He has no sat phone, SPOT beacon, voltmeter, spare anything - and he calls himself an engineer? :poke:

Resetting plans for the weekend of 27-28th now. Flowers should still be spectacular then. They're sort of like fall foliage in New England - as long as it doesn't rain and ruin the display altogether, you can always drive north or south to find the peak viewing.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Pacific U.S.