Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Weekend @ Silverhope Creek with buddies.

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by BC backroader » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Several of my hunting/fishing/offroading/Sasquatch seeking buddies had planned an outing about 6 weeks ago, to Silverhope Creek FSR, in the Skagit valley, South of Hwy 1, between the village of Hope, and the US border, for this past weekend. A couple of us had pre-scouted the area at the planning stage back in Sep., and found the main logging road in was in great shape, well graded, and easily drivable at 60 - 80 km/hr (40 - 50 mph). We located a nice big clearing on a side trail about 30 km up the main road, back about 200m off the main that was ideal for a multi-rig campout, so we were good to go.

Jason C. headed up Thurs. AM in his aging Explorer, to secure the spot and start cutting wood. Bill R. went up on Fri AM in his wife's Silverado, as his CJ needs a new tranny, to help Jason with setup. Myself, and my buddy Murphy weren't able to get away till Sat AM. Murphy was driving his Nissan Titan, with a camper loaded on, and I was driving my blue EXT, all fixed up after my wife's recent crash.

On reaching the turn-off from Hwy 1 to Silver-Skagit Road, I took the lead, as Murphy hadn't been into this valley for decades, and I had been there only 6 weeks earlier. The first 5 km were paved, so smooth going, but as soon as we hit the gravel, I saw that the recent heavy rains, combined with heavy log haulers, had changed the main road dramatically. The next 25 km were either soft and rutted, or extremely potholed and washboarded. It took us a full hour to navigate that stretch, since Murphy had to be careful not to pound the camper apart from the bone jarring bumps. It was late morning by the time we reached camp, and of course Jason and Bill joked that we planned it that way, to avoid having to do any set up work. :oops: We did drag in a few of the logs Jason had cut the day before, so we were forgiven, and allowed to take a seat at the campfire :)

After lunch, Murphy and I headed out in my TB EXT to check out some of the smaller logging roads for deer and bear sign, or maybe Bigfoot tracks :o . The first trail out of camp, Upper Silverhope FSR, hadn't been used for logging in years, and we encountered the first rockslide across it only 1.5km from camp. Other 4-wheelers, or ATVers,had piled smaller rocks around the larger ones to make a ramp up and over the big boulders, but there was a 1' tall "tooth" sticking up in the middle of this that I knew I couldn't clear, since I haven't got my lift installed yet, so we parked and hiked on up the steep trail. Another 1 km along there was an even bigger rockfall, with boulders 1/2 the size of my truck, so we didn't hike any further. We tried several other branch roads during the rest of the daylight hours, all of them ending in landslides, washouts, or large deadfalls across the way. We covered about 25 km. of trails without seeing any game, or even any tracks, so it was back to camp for dinner, a big roaring fire, and some adult beverages :D Just at dinner time another rig pulled in, belong to Arlo, an invited co-worker of Bill's, with his very tricked out 4 dr Tracker, with snorkel, D-rings front and rear, roof rack with gerry cans, rear seat removed for gear stowage, and an OD paint job. No pics, as he arrived after dark, and left at 0600 to go "mudding" with some of his extreme offroad buddies.

There'd be no shortage of mud for Arlo, as the skies had opened up to dump buckets of rain at about midnight, and wasn't letting up at all this morning, so we called it a finish, packed up camp (including previous jerks messes)and headed into Hope for brunch. Some of you may know of Hope from Stallone's "First Blood" movie, it was shot there, with some of the outdoor scenes in the valley where we were camped, too. Hope now bills itself as the "Chainsaw Sculpture Capitol of the World", so I've included a few shots of that artform.

Here's my pics:
Attachments
Nov 8-9-14 outing 019.jpg
Chainsaw carving
Nov 8-9-14 outing 017.jpg
Chainsaw carving in Hope
Nov 8-9-14 outing 012.jpg
Roadside waterfall
Nov 8-9-14 outing 008.jpg
A little cut through the bedrock
Nov 8-9-14 outing 006.jpg
TB @ Silver Lake
Nov 8-9-14 outing 001.jpg
Murphy on the trail
Nov 8-9-14 outing 004.jpg
The "tooth" in the rockpile.
Nov 8-9-14 outing 002.jpg
First landslide on Upper Silverhop FSR
Last edited by BC backroader on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by BC backroader » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:31 pm

OOPS!! I got this posted in the wrong thread. Could a mod please move it to the correct area below?
Thanks.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Pacific U.S.