Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Anza Borrego Desert Meet - pre-Thanksgiving 2009

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by That1Guy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 pm

The Roadie wrote:Teebes and I were just joking today that we could whip off a memorable outing like this on 2-3 hours notice max. The ones that take a week or two to plan, discuss, debate, and agonize over are the historic ones like the Rubicon and Wheeler Ridge and Death Valley. Although it really took me about 4 years to get ready and fabricate and plan for a mere 5 hours on the Rubicon.

Hey heres an idea, lets go right now!! JKJK I still need to do a visual check to make sure everything is OK and put that skid on (BTW major thanks Teebes for the skid!! :excited: ) then tires, then a trip to the snow we missed by a couple days!
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by Hatchet669 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:23 pm

looks liek a blast.. wish i had those kind of places around me...

:camping: no sheep i'm assuming bill rite... lol
Hatchet669
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joe
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:12 pm

Really, only reason I need notice is planning the time off of work. If you want to go up to the snow, Nick, I'm most certainly down. Big Bear is much closer for me anyways. You're definitely going to need new tires for that one though.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by That1Guy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Philberto wrote:Really, only reason I need notice is planning the time off of work. If you want to go up to the snow, Nick, I'm most certainly down. Big Bear is much closer for me anyways. You're definitely going to need new tires for that one though.

I was thinking about checking the snow out on the way back from cerritos, but im not sure, but it wont be to do any wheeling, just to play around
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by foosh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Looks like a Great Trip you guys had. I love the look of the terrain, much different from our mud and woods. You guys have some beautiful stuff to see out there, thanks for posting up all the pics! But no one got stuck??? That doesn't sound like offroading... you should have at least stuck Nick or Phil somewhere and made them perform a self recovery. I hope I get to show a couple of the guys this weekend on our trip how to recover themselves (lets just not get stuck in the water pits!).
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004

by bgwolfpack » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:21 pm

With a smart and knowledgeable trail guide you shouldn't get stuck.

But your right, those SoCal guys pee there pants when it rains. If it rains. :poke:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Hehe. It WOULD have been a good idea to do a sand recovery practice, but the daylight was short and I wanted to impress Phil and Nick with the scenery and getting them to practice with driving lines and exploring their ground clearance.

Next time.

And I grew up in Massachusetts, and lived there until I was 40, then Oregon for 8 years. I have a tiny bit of experience with snow and rain. Teebes, too. :finger:

One of my toughest trail rides was a year ago in Sedona on slickrock during/after a thunderstorm, with sagging OEM springs in the front.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Oh Yeah that could pucker you up a bit, for sure. :thumright:

Now to stay within the thread specs and not get in trouble with James...

Roadie, those pics are beautiful.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:20 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:With a smart and knowledgeable trail guide you shouldn't get stuck.

But your right, those SoCal guys pee there pants when it rains. If it rains. :poke:

'cept for me. I specifically drop what I'm doing to go driving when it rains. Once again, if it rains. :( I keep hearing we're due for an El Nino this year, but no sign so far. When it does, expect a ton of pics and stuff.

OK, back to the topic at hand.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by janesy86 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Looks like a lot of fun guys! Great pics..

And those coilovers certainly look like they gave you a bit more lift.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

by That1Guy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Philberto wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:With a smart and knowledgeable trail guide you shouldn't get stuck.

'cept for me. I specifically drop what I'm doing to go driving when it rains. Once again, if it rains. :( I keep hearing we're due for an El Nino this year, but no sign so far. When it does, expect a ton of pics and stuff.

OK, back to the topic at hand.

Same here! I have always gone out of my way to go play in the dirt when its raining

That1Guy
Addict

by teebes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am

I wont post version 4 of the same pics above, instead here are a few from lower Coyote Canyon. This trail has been graded a bit, larger rocks moved to the sides, etc. This is the trail I popped my 33" cherry on and set every mod on my truck in motion. Drool... :coffee:

First lil water crossing...

Deeper water crossing, or so I would find out. Hard to tell in the pics, but there is a little water maze through the willows, pretty cool considering we're in the desert...
Image Image Image

On to the 4 main rock sections... A couple tricky spots, but this time around I didn't come close to needing my locker. However, this round I was a bit more prepared with Mike's latest Steel skidplate along with being aired down..
Image Image Image

More rockiness...
Image Image Image

Made it, overlooking CC valley:

Another quick peek of the willows on the way out, we don't see much GREEN out in these parts :fro:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 am

teebes wrote:This is the trail I popped my 33" cherry on and set every mod on my truck in motion.

I remember the first time I take people there when they're stock or close to it, show them the rocks, and say - "Park here and ride with me ... you can't possibly make it until you've got some mods...."

Joey pretty much screamed at every stage: "Roadie, you're really freaking me out here....." :woot:

That bloody trail has cost us ALL a lot of money. Getting prepared. :cheers:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

Previous

Return to Pacific U.S.