Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

PLANNING: SoCal/Anza-Borrego : Nov 24-25th, 2009

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by bgwolfpack » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Target $89.99.
41SLqzVv9KL__AA400_.jpg
(12.73 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by That1Guy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:46 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Target $89.99.
41SLqzVv9KL__AA400_.jpg

Well I have the cb and everything already but that doesnt look like a bad price. might have to scoop one up tonight.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:51 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Target $89.99.
41SLqzVv9KL__AA400_.jpg

....or he could just get a CB antenna, which is much cheaper than the $90 you're proposing.

Check out truck stops, they always have CB stuff.

There's one off the I-10 at Miliken in Ontario... Travel Centers of America.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by bgwolfpack » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 pm

True, an antenna would be the better option but he said he needed to go to Albertson's for chips and everyone knows where there's an Albetson's there is a Target. Not only that but if you two have a hand held CB then you can have contact with Roadie from outside your trucks while you're watching him and taking pics. :poke:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by teebes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:14 pm

NickNorie wrote:Doh! Went to Radio Shack last night and guess what. They dont sell CB antennas anymore! So where will I go to find one close to my house wih less than 24 hrs?? And on top of that I have work till probably 7 tonight. After work I will be going to Albertsons to get chips, some wood, some soda, and I believe thats it.
So next thing is, Bill, where do you wanna meet up and have you set a time for us to leave?

Some of the larger ones still do, though you might have to call around. It's kinda sad that Radio Shacks have basically turned into cell phone kiosks :(

On another note, I might still have my old shitty magnetic mount antenna. I'll pack it if I stumble across it. :camping:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:30 pm

I think I have my old mag mount, too. Fry's sells 'em. Truck stops are non-existent down this far south. Walmart has some cheapies as well.

The SPOT tracking page is http://tinyurl.com/yedyndr

Book mark it. I'll throw up a test transmission soon.

Nick, 5AM at the bottom of my driveway?

Just finished a phone interview for the job I've been obsessing over - went PERFECTLY. The guy who called was like a long-lost twin. Only thing that can screw it up is if more technically qualified candidates come along who have already used the exact model of equipment they're looking to babysit. Otherwise I meet all the requirements for experience and mindset, but it's the equivalent of being an expert trailvoy troubleshooter and applying for a job at a Hertz rental fleet maintenance depot, where they mostly have Fords.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by That1Guy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 pm

teebes wrote:
NickNorie wrote:Doh! Went to Radio Shack last night and guess what. They dont sell CB antennas anymore! So where will I go to find one close to my house wih less than 24 hrs?? And on top of that I have work till probably 7 tonight. After work I will be going to Albertsons to get chips, some wood, some soda, and I believe thats it.
So next thing is, Bill, where do you wanna meet up and have you set a time for us to leave?

Some of the larger ones still do, though you might have to call around. It's kinda sad that Radio Shacks have basically turned into cell phone kiosks :(

On another note, I might still have my old shitty magnetic mount antenna. I'll pack it if I stumble across it. :camping:

Ya it really is sad about The Shack, i used to go to them for everything, now they definately seem to have way too many cell phones.

The Roadie wrote:I think I have my old mag mount, too. Fry's sells 'em. Truck stops are non-existent down this far south. Walmart has some cheapies as well.

The SPOT tracking page is http://tinyurl.com/yedyndr

Book mark it. I'll throw up a test transmission soon.

Nick, 5AM at the bottom of my driveway?

Just finished a phone interview for the job I've been obsessing over - went PERFECTLY. The guy who called was like a long-lost twin. Only thing that can screw it up is if more technically qualified candidates come along who have already used the exact model of equipment they're looking to babysit. Otherwise I meet all the requirements for experience and mindset, but it's the equivalent of being an expert trailvoy troubleshooter and applying for a job at a Hertz rental fleet maintenance depot, where they mostly have Fords.

Dang I knew I should have went to frys earlier when I was near there. Oh well, 5 AM sounds good, and unless my parents change their mind ill be there.

Also if either of you brings the mag mount antenna I could definately borrow it or buy it off ya if you dont need it :poke:
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Comm plan for Teebes, who will meet us out there on the trail.

2M National Simplex frequency: 146.52
CB monitoring CH6
FRS Ch 6 squelch code 6

Anticipate first thing will be to run down Borrego Mtn. dropoff, hike the slot, down to San Filipe Wash east to cut across trail to Pumpkin Patch. Then north to Calcite Mine Trail, and south again on Truckhaven Trail to Hawk Canyon. Probably be around Calcite Mine around lunchtime.

SPOT tracking page:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... kFJXyAbqQy
The Roadie
Founder

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:29 pm

And a SPOT test message shows the unit not only in my driveway, but WHERE within about 5 feet it is in the driveway!
Attachments
1.jpg
(36.62 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
The Roadie
Founder

by Philberto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Glad to see the SPOT will be up, and can't wait to go! If Johnny can't make it, as I assume he won't be able to, then I'll leave around midnight or so, and sleep in the car once I get down there. Still hoping he somehow miraculously gets better, but not being too optimistic. Either way, don't alter your timeline for me.

That's great news about the interview, Bill! Do you have any idea when you will know for sure about the job?

IMO, Fry's has become the new Radio Shack, all the way down to the shitty customer service. The stores are just bigger.
Philberto
Lifer

by That1Guy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:04 pm

The Roadie wrote:Comm plan for Teebes, who will meet us out there on the trail.

2M National Simplex frequency: 146.52
CB monitoring CH6
FRS Ch 6 squelch code 6

Anticipate first thing will be to run down Borrego Mtn. dropoff, hike the slot, down to San Filipe Wash east to cut across trail to Pumpkin Patch. Then north to Calcite Mine Trail, and south again on Truckhaven Trail to Hawk Canyon. Probably be around Calcite Mine around lunchtime.

SPOT tracking page:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... kFJXyAbqQy

Wait so will we be int the Ocotillo Wells area?? If so im glad cuz i know that are pretty well

That1Guy
Addict

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 pm

We tend to go around the OW OHV area because of the annoying gnat-like buzzing kids on bikes and micro-ATVs. Anza Borrego state park is better for wheeling because you have to be street legal and it cuts down on the asshat factor. But the only way to get to Pumpkin Patch is through Arroyo Salado, so we tolerate it for a bit. :raspberry: 500 miles of street-legal-only trails in the park. But OW has some of the best vault toilets and the dumpsters.
The Roadie
Founder

by That1Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:38 am

The Roadie wrote:We tend to go around the OW OHV area because of the annoying gnat-like buzzing kids on bikes and micro-ATVs. Anza Borrego state park is better for wheeling because you have to be street legal and it cuts down on the asshat factor. But the only way to get to Pumpkin Patch is through Arroyo Salado, so we tolerate it for a bit. :raspberry: 500 miles of street-legal-only trails in the park. But OW has some of the best vault toilets and the dumpsters.

ok thats what I thought. I was gonna say, theres another pumkin patch? but nope apparently not lol

That1Guy
Addict

by That1Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:13 am

Im ready Im ready Im ready. Well except for firewood gonna leave right now to get it.

That1Guy
Addict

by That1Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:13 am

Im ready Im ready Im ready. Well except for firewood gonna leave right now to get it.

That1Guy
Addict

by Philberto » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:49 am

Halfway there! I should be there much earlier than anticipated, so maybe I'll do a little nocturnal exploring! Just look for the TB with the offroadtb sticker on back... hell, just look for a TB :P

-edit: will have FRS on and be at Bill's indicated location in Hawk Canyon when you guys get there... listening starting at 0600
Philberto
Lifer

by That1Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:02 am

Philberto wrote:Halfway there! I should be there much earlier than anticipated, so maybe I'll do a little nocturnal exploring! Just look for the TB with the offroadtb sticker on back... hell, just look for a TB :P

-edit: will have FRS on and be at Bill's indicated location in Hawk Canyon when you guys get there... listening starting at 0600

Nice sounds like your making good time!! Im about to take my nap before we leave at 5. :excited:

That1Guy
Addict

by bgwolfpack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Been following these guys with the SPOT? Cool tool.

Thanks Roadie :safari: :coffee2:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by The Roadie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Home safe. Teebes is staying out there for the holiday. One pic here, then more in a thread about completed trips. As hard as we tried, we failed to ditch the 2WD Kid, and the only place he got stuck was in the campsite when deep sand was a surprising obstacle.
22.JPG
(86.12 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
The Roadie
Founder

by That1Guy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:06 am

The Roadie wrote:Home safe. Teebes is staying out there for the holiday. One pic here, then more in a thread about completed trips. As hard as we tried, we failed to ditch the 2WD Kid, and the only place he got stuck was in the campsite when deep sand was a surprising obstacle.
22.JPG

Thanks again for the food, the hospitality, and the knowledge Bill! hopefully next time everyone will have the C.B. setup as with the handhelds I either didnt know you guys were talking, couldnt hear, or it fell down in front of my cooler. Also thanks much for the antenna! Sooooo much clearer and louder than the handheld.
Maybe next time you guys will be able to lose me, but not this time. :finger:

That1Guy
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Pacific U.S.