Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Back to Coyote Canyon - Nov 2007

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by The Roadie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:35 am

So Only1Balto's got a new BDS lift on his weiner dog EXT, and I was dissing it, but I helped him put in the lift because I'm a nice guy even though I've never actually wheeled with an EXT and I had to see if it would embarass me on the trails and the desert just got cool enough to visit and all that rot. :cool: Besides, I like to type a run-on sentence once in a while. :nono:

So we got up at 5AM, met for breakfast, and scooted out to Borrego where he had never been. I figured the amazing views would be as good as the offroading. So naturally I have to try him out first on Coyote Canyon, that starts out easy, but ends up tough.

He's got most of the pictures, but had a command engagement tonight, so I expect to see his pics later. Mostly he impressed me, got through water crossings up until the last one that was above my door sills, chose very good lines and didn't abuse the tires. Showed a lot of respect (certainly more than I do) for the truck, but I could tell he had a good time. It was a good day to leave the family at home, at least this first time out.

Finally the last water crossing was going to be beyond the capability of his lift and tires, so he parked and I drove while he took pics from the shotgun seat. I got to the bottom of the horrible rocky road, and his eyes got serious and said "no way." So I HAD to go on at that point, as he continued: "This is impossible." [BUMP] "This is insane." [LURCH!] "You're freakin' me out, Roadie." [BANG-CRUNCH!!] He said pretty much everything except the "safe" word: STOP! So I kept up until I got to the top again -#4 for me, but who's counting? :weird: And then we did another few hours of easier stuff. :D

Here's some pics of one of his water crossings, and then the water level on my side panels after the deepest one. Nothing got inside - door seals worked as designed. Oh, yeah, and the wheel caps came in that were backordered, and I slapped black acorn lug nuts on them with locks because the OEM lug nuts look out of place on a black wheel.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:36 am

Balto's pics:

Sorry for taking a bit. Here are some photos I've picked uploaded. I have plenty more if you guys like. The trip was awsome and I can't thank Roadie enough for taking me under his wings. Besides the frequent trips to the bathroom because of the virus I had, I don't think the trip could have been any better. I found out where I want my truck to go and what I'd like it to do. Driving with Roadie gave me a new "Refreshed" outlook on life and safty. Although he pushes his truck to the extreme its clear to me he knows exactly what hes doing.
Getting larger tires will be a must for me but for what I enjoy doing my stocker setup is fine as it is. I highly doubt an EXT will be able to do what Roadie has pushed his truck to do w/o heavy heavy modifications unheard of yet. Anyways enjoy! Hope more trucks will be able to come out with us!!!

Early morn' after breakfast
Climbing Altitude
Finally Breaking Through
Sightseeing
A Little Photoshot
And another
And one more
Speeding through the flats
Going through the motions
Climbing around...
Roadie in a big world
Heading home