Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Elliot Mine area - Nov 2007

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by The Roadie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:32 am

Great day today in San Diego county. Low wind, decent temperatures, high clouds for great pictures. So I went back to the Elliot Mine trail in Jacumba, where Teebes took the wheel-in-the-air video last year. Now I've got the new tires and bumper, I wanted to see how traction was, plus if my center of gravity changed much.

I'm pleased to say traction was at least 50% better with the M/T's even without being aired down. Hardly ever slipped and had to use the locker, except for one place you will clearly hear on the video. (Plus some anti-sway bar squeaking - time for new bushings.)

Also discovered that I am no longer one with my vehicle. The track being 3-4" wider means I was constantly learning to place the tires again within an inch of where I wanted them, to the occasional detriment of the sidewalls. Never gave them a hard or sharp hit, but I kissed a few rocks as I went along. Also discovered that eggs may slide off teflon, but rocks don't, and the teflon loses. At least my first rim scrape is done, so I no longer have to worry about it. Picture included.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65S9nOUpaCU

Mystery object seen at a truck stop. Looks too heavy to be aviation-related like a water bomber tank. Any ideas?

Back looking down on the otherworldly Valley of the Moon wilderness. You used to be able to drive there, but no more.

Parked outside an open shaft for amethyst mining.

Posed Envoy

More posing. Too late for the calendar this year, darn it.

Looking back downhill where we came from:

Another pose:

My favorite lucky offroad tshirt. Wearing this shirt, I've never tipped over, or fallen off a shelf road into a canyon:

Wheel carnage:

Interstate 8 - way below. We're about 60 miles east of San Diego here.

Looking south towards a cleared dirt road next to the Mexican border fence.

Oh, this far east, it's a pretty porous fence:

You can't drive through it, but it's not much of a deterrent.

The minutemen seem to have been here - fresh flags:

But at the other (east) end of this section, the border patrol put up a sun shade so they can watch. With night vision goggles, I suppose they catch dozens of sneaky ones every night.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Pacific U.S.