Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

PLANNING: Looking for info on Sequoia Nat'l Forest

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Philberto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for info, from anybody who knows about it, about driving and camping in the Sequoia National Forest. Going to be taking a 3-day vacation up there, and I'd love to hear about any roads to drive on, any particular locations that are good for camping, and any other special things about the place, since I've never been. As far as sites go, I've got a gas stove and campfire permit, and I've got a potable water supply, but would prefer at least vault toilets somewhere nearby.
Last edited by Trail X on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Title
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm your guy. I've spent over six weeks total on expeditions up there in the Sierra Nevada . Bought all the trail guides, which are invaluable for trip planning. Wish you were closer, but I can do summaries to help you out. You can get a plastic bucket (or a Bumper Dumper) and buy some Wag Bags (used in the PETT toilet system) if you're away from vault toilets.

When are you going? Lots of campgrounds are already closed down due to cold at high elevations.

Prepared for the bear threat?
Food storage, etc.?

Do you like visiting fire lookout towers?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! The vault toilets thing is more for TTop, cuz I could care less about squatting over a latrine, but I was looking at the bumper dumper... we're not going until oct 16, so I have some time.

I spent much of my childhood camping in the Sierras, so I'm well aware of what needs to be done to deal with the bears... Everything will be sealed in a bear box or my action packer away from the campsite or in the vehicle.

As far as fire lookout towers, I can't say I've ever visited one, but it sounds like a treat. So far the only plans are cooking at night, and fishing a bit if we're near some lakes. If possible, I'd like to find a body of water to set up base camp at, and then branch out from there for hiking, driving, etc.
Philberto
Lifer

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Ahhhhh. I don't fish, so lakes were never a destination thing for me. I like views. Take a look at this general area, running up a ridge to the west of Lake Isabella.

The start of that route from the south is forest road 25S03 to 25S15, otherwise known as Rancheria Road. I camped the first night at Evans Flat, almost nobody else there, at 6200 feet. COLD in October! Bring LOTS of firewood if you go.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recreat ... ounds.html

Most of them reported to close in "mid october". Definitely call the forest office to check.

The PRIMO campground of all the ones that don't allow trailers, and is in a grove of Giant Sequoias in the National Forest, but outside the National Park, is BELKNAP in the town of Camp Nelson. At the top end of that map.

http://activities.wildernet.com/pages/a ... ry&CU_ID=1

In three days unless you are doing camp & go every night, you aren't going to get far enough north for the National Park and the rest of the giant sequoias.

I heartily recommend Belknap as a destination if you want to go that far north. Right now sites 2, 3, and 4 are available (along with others.) I stayed in 3 and was very happy with it. No close neighbors if 2 isn't occupied.

The Roadie
Founder

by Philberto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks! My original research had me going even further north, actually, to Visalia, before turning into the forest... I was looking at Crystal Cave for the gf, and some of the creeks around there for me... any experience with that area? I'm not against the idea of camping and going, so I may start with camping at Belknap the first night and work my way up... It also depends on if her mom and mom's bf are going along... if so, then they'll want to camp in their rv, while her and I tent it. Initial itinerary looks like me leaving the night of the 15th, arriving morning of the 16th, and leaving the night of the 18th, though I'd like to maybe stretch it until the morning of the 19th. As always, keep the suggestions coming. I may just try Belknap, to give her a good first-time experience, but the adventurous spirit in me wants to see lots of stuff.
Philberto
Lifer

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Further north was days 4-6 of my 2006 trip. There are very few offroad trails within the National Park, but the Giant Sequoia grove and other main tourist attractions are spectacular, and not crowded at all after Labor Day. More room in the RV friendly National Park campgrounds as well, but not all are open.

Small version - download next link for the detailed map

SierraMap2.JPG
Sierra Trip Map 2
(2.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Two things not to miss if you're that far north - drive down into Kings Canyon - good camping (warmer, too) at the end of the road at Cedar Grove and other spots.

And the Buck Rock Fire Lookout Tower. 4WD trail to get to it, but spectacular!

The Roadie
Founder

by Philberto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try Kings Canyon if I end up staying near the edge of the park, though if we aren't burdened with the RV, we may try to camp at Cold Springs past Mineral King... I love the altitude because of the rush of energy you get when you get back down to sea level. I'm not too sure how much offroading we're going to be doing anyways, and is that pre-lift roadiemobile? If so, then I should have no problem making it on that road... still gotta get my hi-lift though.
Philberto
Lifer

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 pm

That's rev 2 Roadiemobile. SMAXX 2" lift. 31" tires.

Reported serious marmot threat around Mineral King area. They eat vehicle wiring. Ask the rangers if this is marmot wire-munching season or if it's past.
The Roadie
Founder

by Philberto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 pm

The Roadie wrote:That's rev 2 Roadiemobile. SMAXX 2" lift. 31" tires.

Reported serious marmot threat around Mineral King area. They eat vehicle wiring. Ask the rangers if this is marmot wire-munching season or if it's past.

Yeah, I read that... I guess there actually is a reason to put blingy steel braid over the hoses and wires!! :poke: :poke:
Philberto
Lifer

Return to Pacific U.S.