Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Socal to Colorado

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by teebes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:01 pm

So late Oct I'm taking roughly 10 days to hit a few trails on my way to Durango, Co to visit my folks. I'm tentatively scoping the below trails with the clear understanding that I wont make all of them, but will be eager for as much off pavement as possible:

Note the AZ legs are all from Expo's site and their goal of creating an expedition across the states. Thoughts, suggestions?

EDIT: The below has been revised now that I'm back home (10/26/09).

EDIT: Locked and started a new completed thread, here: forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=400
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:58 pm

That's why you're the real deal. :) That's the kind of trip I dream about and fully intend to do, someday. I did the Silverton to Durango tourist train ride once. :puker: Would love to spend a week off roading that area. :safari:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 pm

I poked around Crown King and north to Prescott one time. Very scenic and doable with the trailer. Many side spurs like Otay Mt. are more difficult. I would steer way clear of Smiley Rock trail unless it was the two of us and no trailer.

And if you never went through Sedona yet, don't go offroad after Jerome, but go straight from Jerome to Sedona and hit 2-3 trails there I can advise you on. Or I'll come with you that far maybe.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by teebes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:That's why you're the real deal. :) That's the kind of trip I dream about and fully intend to do, someday. I did the Silverton to Durango tourist train ride once. :puker: Would love to spend a week off roading that area. :safari:

I haven't been roped into the Silverton - Durango train ride yet, but my folks seemed to enjoy it. Scenary!!
The Roadie wrote:I poked around Crown King and north to Prescott one time. Very scenic and doable with the trailer. Many side spurs like Otay Mt. are more difficult. I would steer way clear of Smiley Rock trail unless it was the two of us and no trailer.

And if you never went through Sedona yet, don't go offroad after Jerome, but go straight from Jerome to Sedona and hit 2-3 trails there I can advise you on. Or I'll come with you that far maybe.

Have been reading up on their trail report and there are a couple sticky spots, it'll be an adventure one way or another.

The Roadie wrote:Or I'll come with you that far maybe.
Sure thing, more than welcome!
teebes
Founder

by KE7WOX » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Let me know once you have more plans and dates and see if we can meet.

What are your plans for Crown King - Prescott? there's 2 ways of traveling, one is the Senator Hwy (the most direct road I think) and the other is the old "Murphy's Impossible Railroad" bed, which involves driving down from Crown King to Cleator, then to Cordes and Mayer, then you hit either Hwy 69 to Prescott or 69 then 89A/89 to Chino Valley.

You can also hit Perkinsville Rd from Chino Valley to Jerome (I already made a post about it).
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by teebes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Will do! However, I'm really considering spending most of the trip in Utah with all the craziness around H.R. 1925 now. I absolutely want to see that region which seems in trouble now more than ever.

Bunch of threads over on Expo and Pirate. A good read for everyone interested in stopping this ridiculous legislation.
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Finally arrived in Colorado last night, a good half way point in the trip. The past few days have been a blur of awesome scenery with mostly good weather. I've only missed out on one day of trail riding due to spotty rain in Utah (silty mud you don't want to get stuck in). So far counting more than 300 miles offroad :D

Here's a few pics while I curse my slow connection...

Mohave preserve/road:

After fording the Mohave river:

A random truck entering the crossing behind me. He struggled a little, almost stalled out half way through but managed across under his own power.

First camp site - yea free dead wood. I camped a mere 10 miles in, gearing up for a long next day ~130miles till the end.

Exiting Afton canyon, beginning the journey:

Guest book.

Representing our new home :fro:
teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Sweet. I am jealous. I need to start planning now for a western adventure next year.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Been watching the SPOT progress. Enjoy!
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by teebes » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Couple articulation shots of the truck 'n trailer on the Mohave Rd. Was quite happy I didn't pop a rear air bag on this :drive:

teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Great pics. Looks like the trailer is working nicely.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by irishboy02 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:45 pm

An offroad trailer too!! Thats cool! Good luck on your trip drive safe :woot:
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005

by KE7WOX » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:54 am

So did you skip Arizona?
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by teebes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:19 pm

Had quite an adventure today in CanyonLand. Ended up performing 3 self recoveries and am now hotel'ing it before I limp around arches tomorrow and then head towards home. Long story short, the truck performed astonishing well on a trail that started out moderate and rather suddenly changed to something I would only tackle on my dirt bike. The trailer on the other hand... :oops: :roll:

Pics will never do this justice, but here's a teaser of the first recovery and stuck situation. The high side couldn't get traction on some brush to really do anything. The front driver side tire was very near breaking the bead trying to avoid a huge hole and the other rear was buried in sily stuff. Tires were already aired down as I missed my 'line' by about a tire width :( Shortly after the recovery I decided to return back and abandon the rest of the 'trail'. I was able to make it back through this section when I hit by hitting my 'line' correctly. Still was a little nerve racking, tho :slap:

At least I don't have to worry about the swine flu out here :raspberry: There's always an upside, right :fro:
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Oh and Neil... The extra frontal protection was used repeatedly today :friday: I'll have to get some pics in the morning before the rust starts up. A bit of rain started to hit shortly after I made it back to pavement.
teebes
Founder

by Trail X » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 pm

teebes wrote:...before I limp around arches tomorrow...

Is your truck limping? Did you pull a Roadie? :raspberry:

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! :lurk:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by NeilageInc » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:50 pm

I knew it would work out great. Rust is just a way to prove that you use it. And I don't mind if you paint those so they blend with your bumper. Also it would show how the front end is sliding over the obstacles. Glad to hear you are having fun and let me know when you are back.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by teebes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Somehow both vehicles are still drivable. Guess it's more my pride (and wallet) that's feeling a bit blue :slap: :o

Still managed to conqueror Arches today - quite the fun/technical trail, regardless of yesterday's events. Ran it S -> N as it was a more challenging in this direction :coffee:
Rocks, dunes/sand, steep inclines and oh the scenery! Full write up upon my return...promise.

Oh, did I mention this happened yesterday :evil: :o :hissyfit: :hissyfit: My 'third' recovery, err, maybe just half of a recovery :angry whip: :pale:

:thumbdown: :shaking: :silent: :slap:
teebes
Founder

by MrSmithsTB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:11 pm

teebes wrote:Somehow both vehicles are still drivable. Guess it's more my pride (and wallet) that's feeling a bit blue :slap: :o

Still managed to conqueror Arches today - quite the fun/technical trail, regardless of yesterday's events. Ran it S -> N as it was a more challenging in this direction :coffee:
Rocks, dunes/sand, steep inclines and oh the scenery! Full write up upon my return...promise.

Oh, did I mention this happened yesterday :evil: :o :hissyfit: :hissyfit: My 'third' recovery, err, maybe just half of a recovery :angry whip: :pale:

:thumbdown: :shaking: :silent: :slap:

Ouch. Glad you, your trailer, and your vehicle are still in one piece. I wish there were places like that around here. Maybe I should move out there.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Oh No!!

Glad you are safe and it appears that the damage isnt too bad. Just think...you made it out and no blood was spilled. Hope your journey isnt so rough from now on.
HARDTRAILZ

Next

Return to Pacific U.S.