Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

INPUT SOUGHT: OR/WA TSF trip for beginners.

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by fishsticks » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 pm

So, on the suggestion of another member, and to promote GMT360/370 offroading in this area... I propose a beginner run to Tillamook State Forest.

I'd like to hold it sometime this summer, but the date is fluid at this point until we find what works for the most people. A day trip is probably easiest to plan but we could do an overnighter if folks want to camp.

This event is designed for stock or mildly lifted TrailVoys. We'll be running green(easy) and maybe a few blue(moderate) trails. We'll work within everyone's comfort level. TSF is great in that most trails have bypass roads that you can drive down if you don't want to run a certain trail. We can also watch some of the built rigs up there take on the more challenging obstacles. (Lots of fun actually.)

A good meeting place would be at Coleman's Restaurant on Highway 6 just outside of the forest. We could meet at 8 or 9am, have breakfast, then go wheel all day until people need to go. There is a Shell station nearby for topping off tanks and buying OHV permits.

Things participants will need to have:

• A TrailVoy in good mechanical condition. 4WD is a must. G80/locker optional.
  • A valid Oregon OHV permit (costs $10, can be gotten from several places).
  • At least All-Terrain tires. Street tires will load up with mud quickly and you'll be going nowhere.
  • A full sized spare in working order.
  • Recovery points. Rear hitch is fine. Front tow hooks highly recommended.
  • NO RUNNING BOARDS. You'll get stuck and they'll get ruined. We can help folks take them off beforehand if need be.
  • An air compressor is desirable. My OBA system is down currently and sharing one compressor between a lot of trucks is a pain.
  • A CB is also very desirable. We can make due if some folks don't have them, but we need to have at least 2 in the group. (I have 1.)
  • Warm clothing. Rain gear is a plus in case we get rained on.
  • Sack lunches/drinks for all people brought along. Beers are fine too but we will not be drinking on the trails.
  • A garbage bag so we can pick up any trash we may find/produce.

This list will probably grow as I think of more things.

Post up if you have ideas or would like to come along. Let's find a date that works for people.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by djthumper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 am

Sounds like a great plan Donny! Man if I were closer or was coming up there I would be in on this, even just for fun.

I would recommend a recovery strap. Wheelers Off-Road or a cheap one from Harbor Freight

I would use a shackle for the rear. Again Wheelers Off-Road or the D-ring from Harbor Freight
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by SteveTB03 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:33 am

TSF does look like fun wish I was closer to join you guys.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by Philberto » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:45 am

Damn. All this when I'm already taking a week off next week, if it weren't for that, i'd be up there for sure. I have been wanting to wheel with the NW crew for a long while, but I just can't make it this summer. Sorry guys.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by HighSierraTB » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:19 am

Sounds like a great opportunity for some of the newbies in OR and Wash. I live just a little too far to make a day trip. Our Summer is looking to be a wild ride with possibly a new job and an adoption this summer.
HighSierraTB

Name: Mike Johnson
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Saxis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:37 am

I've been thinking about something like this for quite a while. I downloaded the TSF map about a year ago to look over the trails. I'll still need to do some work to get my Envoy up to snuff though. Hoping I'll have my OBA/Airlift bags and rock sliders on this summer, and was kinda hoping to replace my .5" shims with some 86 or 87 springs up front. Front tow hooks are probably a no go for me unless I remove the bumper cover and get some stockers, and no CB plans either, unless a handheld.

I've also got a lot on my plate right now. I'll either be buying a house in the next month or two, or moving to Seattle for a job opportunity that just came up... Looking like late July or August for me though, and I'd definitely be up for an overnighter or two.
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007

by BigBen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 am

Dammit. My wheels are on backorder. Let me know when it's gonna be, maybe they'll be in by then. But I'd definitely be down for it.
BigBen
Off-Roader

Name: Ben
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by fishsticks » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Ben, there's no set date at this time. Post up when you would like the run to be. We will work to see what fits the most people's schedules.

I was planning on attending an event at Sand Lake the last week of July, but I'm unsure if I'll be making that one.

I have a planned event I will be attending over Labor Day weekend in TSF. We wouldn't be able to do a TrailVoy only run then but the Labor Day event is open invite so all are welcome.

July 23rd is my wife's birthday so we'll be doing whatever she wants to do that weekend.

Other than that I can do most any weekend with some notice.

Also thinking about opening this up a little for friends who want to hit the trails, thoughts?
fishsticks

by BigBen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm kinda leaning towards labor day weekend?.? It would be an easy and relaxing time. Finals will be over with and it would be a good time to work on getting my lift ( or lifts if the 3" bl is ready by then) and new tires and wheels will be ready by then.
BigBen
Off-Roader

by fishsticks » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 pm

BigBen wrote:I'm kinda leaning towards labor day weekend?.? It would be an easy and relaxing time. Finals will be over with and it would be a good time to work on getting my lift ( or lifts if the 3" bl is ready by then) and new tires and wheels will be ready by then.

As I said, I have an event I'll be attending in TSF during Labor Day weekend. It's open invite so you're welcome.
fishsticks

by BigBen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:29 am

Didn't even see that part. Tunnel vision. I'll see what else I can come up with.
BigBen
Off-Roader

Return to Pacific U.S.