Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED TRIPS: March 2007 - Borrego slot canyons

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by The Roadie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:53 pm

This was the inaugural trip offroading for San Diego trailvoy member SDFullerC, who has since traded in the lifted Envoy for a go-fast SS and we never see him anymore.

At the end of the drive in the Slot canyon, you can continue hiking. Actually, over a dozen hikers emerged from the canyon while we were parked at the end, having lunch with fold-up chairs and a side table, listening to XM classical music. Only thing missing was a spot of Grey Poupon. I say. Veddy good spread SD!

The hikers, not knowing you could even drive in the way we got there, were quite bemused. I told one couple we had been heli-lifted in by GM for a commercial. That didn't fly. We could have set up a refreshment stand and sold Cokes for $20. One British tourist couple obviously needed sunscreen and hadn't been using it, but I couldn't part with my tube.

We met one group going the other way, asking for trail conditions on a dropoff they had never been to, and I said I'd gone down it a month before and survived. I wasn't sure anybody in their group had the power and traction to go UP it, but they could save 60 miles of pavement driving to use that shortcut. All they needed was ONE in their group to get up the dropoff, and they could use a winch to assist the rest. Their leader chuckled a bit and said if I had survived the trip DOWN the sand dropoff, he was sure he could get at least one of his own UP the hill.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:19 pm

That was a fun few minutes roadie. Thank you
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other