Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Evans Creek ORV Washington aftermath

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Philberto » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:22 pm

And FWIW, I rock the dented, pinstriped look.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:11 pm

SteveTB03 wrote:35" tires by 12.5" on stock rims

EEK! :awesome: What shop mounted those I wonder.

Can he even air them down?

FWIW I have more scratches than untouched paint on my truck. Only one (small) dent though. Wax is my friend.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by RimoniManu » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Les Schwab mounted them for me. I won't air down till I get some bead lock wheels.
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

Name: Ray
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by fishsticks » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:21 pm

RimoniManu wrote:Les Schwab mounted them for me. I won't air down till I get some bead lock wheels.

Some wider wheels would be a start. I ran 12psi on my last outing... No beadlocks required. I do carry an extra full size spare just in case.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by TangoBravo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:26 pm

:Iagree: Running such wide tires on such a narrow rim is just asking for a bead failure, But I am happy to hear that he is thinking of an upgrade(beadlocks). But is he referring to an after market bead lock for the stock rims or getting new bead lock rims all together? I know bead lock kits are sold but I don't know how effective they are.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Trail X » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:41 am

Just FYI, normal beadlock rims are not technically street legal. Plus, they normally only lock the outer bead, leaving the internal one open for failure. If you want something to lock your beads and be street legal, look into the Staun internal beadlocks.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Normal beadlocks are legal in Indiana i believe. Had a couple police officers tell it was fine and my buddy runs them all the time. I did find another interior beadlock vendor at the 4x4 Jamboree. $400 for a set from MI.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by TangoBravo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Sorry to kinda highlack but I was watching 4x4 tv on spike and there is a company that makes a street legal beadlock system that locks both inner and outer beads, this thing looks like what is on the inside of a bicycle rim that protects the tube from the spokes you know that thing rubber band. It's kind like that but on a bigger scale. what you do is tap a hole like the valve stem for your tire, then install this beadlock system it has it's own valve stem then you reinstall your tire, inflate your tire then inflate this interior beadlock system and bam there you go. I Am not sure exactly how effective it really is but they tested it in aired down situations for long distances and had nothing bad to say about it. But then again it was a 30 min show not a year long test.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:16 pm

TangoBravo wrote:Sorry to kinda highlack but I was watching 4x4 tv on spike and there is a company that makes a street legal beadlock system that locks both inner and outer beads, this thing looks like what is on the inside of a bicycle rim that protects the tube from the spokes you know that thing rubber band. It's kind like that but on a bigger scale. what you do is tap a hole like the valve stem for your tire, then install this beadlock system it has it's own valve stem then you reinstall your tire, inflate your tire then inflate this interior beadlock system and bam there you go. I Am not sure exactly how effective it really is but they tested it in aired down situations for long distances and had nothing bad to say about it. But then again it was a 30 min show not a year long test.

They work but not cheap. I found a place in michigan that has them for a decent price. There are a couple versions, but they do save weight. I would rather have a real beadlock for the extra rim strength if you are in a position that requires a beadlock. But they would be great for low pressure low impact sand running.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:00 pm

A common thread on Pirate... Everyone likes to claim beadlocks aren't legal, but most codes don't specifically state it! Now, majority of companies simply don't go through the DOT process, which then would make them illegal. There are companies out there that DO sell DOT beadlocks.

Another positive for running beadlocks: its practical to change tires in your garage without having to have to run to a tire shop. The internal beadlocks while nice are kinda a PITA to do tire changes with (probably a little overkill for what folks around here would need, tho).

I'm looking forward to some single beadlock wheels. I recently tried out some 15's (they look killer, too), but the backspacing just kills the deal for me. Maybe some 17's down the road :friday:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:31 pm

RimoniManu wrote:Oh, as far as the 35's, nope no rubbing. The only rub is when I turn full left or right and the tire rubs the square frame.

They obviously rubbed. Actually more than rubbed, they pushed your fenders out on the front and folder over the edge of the one. It is easy to see in the pic that 35's do not fit for wheeling. Maybe they will if he cuts off the body damaged areas where the tires did hit. 35s can and have been run on the street for awhile, but I think the pics prove that they will hit the fenders when wheeling. When my 33s hit my fenders when the front springs sagged; it would have done the same thing(pushed out and folded over) to my fenders if I had not seen what was happening and been careful with it. Even as it was my fenders have been adjusted by the tires a couple times.

Were your swaybars connected?

Get out the saw and chop those fenders so you can go out hit some more trails... :cheers:
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:33 pm

RimoniManu wrote:Les Schwab mounted them for me. I won't air down till I get some bead lock wheels.

Narrow wheels will hold a bead better than a wider bead!! You are more than fine airing down!!

Now where is that build thread and more pics, hmm??? :finger:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes

Previous

Return to Pacific U.S.