Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Nellis Dunes to Pabco RD

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by djthumper » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:11 am

A friend, myself and my boys decided to go out and do some of the trails out at the Nellis Dunes Recreational Area at the north end of town. As we were running around in the dunes we were talking about an old trail that use to go out towards the lake and the Pabco mine and plant. So we decided to see if we could find it from the dunes. We found some markers with a trail that ran along them in the right direction and started to follow them. Well it would appear that we found it. While it is up you can see the tacking loop in the north east side of town here http://aprs.fi/?call=kc7qjo-7&mt=hybrid&z=16&timerange=604800. The trails that I took would probably be rated 2.5. It took us about 2.5 hours taking it easy.

The dunes

The start of the trail

Lake Mead in the distance

Vegas Strip in the background on the way home
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by teebes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Looks like a fun time! How did the truck fair in the loose sand?

Any Navy jets flying around those parts when you where there? Last time I was out near a range, the blue angels just happened to be practicing... About 500 feet off the deck. It was intense :friday:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by djthumper » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Eh it did okay if the hill wasn't too bad. I couldn't take a couple of the hills that I do on the packed trails. But then again with stock tires and not aired down very far since I don't have a decent trail compressor yet. It did great in the sand, gravel and rocks in the washes that I took. I took one of that washes because the hill was steep and long, I may have taken it if there were other vehicles with me.

I took it pretty safe since I was an only vehicle and out scouting around.

Nothing was flying since it was a Saturday and not Red Flag exercise is in. But I have been out near there when they are flying. One of the repeater sites is on the other side and watch the planes below us.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Pacific U.S.