Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Tillamook State Forest Sept 3rd-5th.

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:09 am

As long as everything falls into place, I'm going to TSF with Pacific NW 4x4s. I have a stinking suspicion that I'm going to be the smallest truck there, but what the hell.

Figured I'd put this out for anyone who wants to show. You'll want to register on pnw4x4s.com and let them know. They've had a few people back out at the last minute so I'm sure there'll be plenty of room at the campground.

I'm planning on camping there, but some people are already planning on just showing up for a day.

I've seen a few videos of some of their trucks on some of the obstacles there. This is definitely not a stock friendly trip. I fully expect my balls will outgrow my brain and I'll end up with some sort of battle scar from this. :viking:

Be cool if another TB shows. :)
Last edited by fishsticks on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 am

A bit far for me, but i look forward to pics. Scars are cool. I found pass fender and rear door plus driver rear door got some decent rubbing once I removed this weekends mud. I bet you have a blast. I was pretty well told i would not make one trail, but the look on the guys face at the end of the day when i told him we did the whole thing was worthsome scars.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Trail X » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:00 am

Fish, if you're hitting some big rocks, you may want to consider some sliders. They're pretty valuable once you get into the rocks.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:52 am

JamesDowning wrote:Fish, if you're hitting some big rocks, you may want to consider some sliders. They're pretty valuable once you get into the rocks.

I'm with ya... I'm still waiting on the steering extension and bumper brackets for my body lift to show up. I can't put sliders on until that's done. :wallbash:

I folded and ordered a cam gear for my G80 last night. F* the spider gears. If they disintegrate then it was meant to be. :angry whip:
fishsticks

by SteveTB03 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:26 pm

I would love to bring my TB but who knows when it'll be in the shop getting some engine mount repaired and plus if this accident didn't happen I was going to be buying a junkyard axle to install with you.

Maybe if I decide to come I could ride shotgun if the little lady isn't going :poke:
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 pm

SteveTB03 wrote:I would love to bring my TB but who knows when it'll be in the shop getting some engine mount repaired and plus if this accident didn't happen I was going to be buying a junkyard axle to install with you.

Maybe if I decide to come I could ride shotgun if the little lady isn't going :poke:

She hates camping. Take her away from internet, showers and beds and she's not a happy girl. Plus she has to work.

You're welcome to my passenger seat. You'd probably want to do that even if your TB was fixed... you'd want your front wheels under power for this one.
fishsticks

by djthumper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:20 am

LOL are you going to have your 35s by then?
djthumper

Name: Larry

by fishsticks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:33 am

djthumper wrote:LOL are you going to have your 35s by then?

Ha. Nope. Mark just finally word on the steering extensions. He'll have them Thurs or Fri. So I probably won't have the body lift on before going either.

Hopefully my G80 cam gear shows up early next week. It's leaving Arizona on Friday.

I have some extra steel hanging around in the garage. Going to look at fabbing up some ugly armor to stick underneath the truck.
fishsticks

by SteveTB03 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 am

Well I'm sure if my TB is fixed by then and I'm sure I could get to the campsite or is the campsite one of those where you need 4wd and a lifted truck to even get there?

But yeah no I wouldn't even try to offroad with you guys even with a locked rear end.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by fishsticks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 am

SteveTB03 wrote:Well I'm sure if my TB is fixed by then and I'm sure I could get to the campsite or is the campsite one of those where you need 4wd and a lifted truck to even get there?

But yeah no I wouldn't even try to offroad with you guys even with a locked rear end.

My understanding is the campsite is pretty accessable.
fishsticks

by bgwolfpack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:37 pm

fishsticks wrote:
SteveTB03 wrote:Well I'm sure if my TB is fixed by then and I'm sure I could get to the campsite or is the campsite one of those where you need 4wd and a lifted truck to even get there?

My understanding is the campsite is pretty accessable.

This area is quite accessible. It has a conglomeration of different uses and all are easy to get to.

The fire danger is high right now though. There may be limitations on area usage.

Will be looking forward to your write up Donny.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by fishsticks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:07 pm

TSF was simply awesome.

The TB definitely got a workout. Being pretty new to wheeling itself, I was able to go beyond my regular "comfort zone" here with some really experienced folks. I got some valuable experience finding the proper line on some really rocky obstacles.

I also found an amazing group of people with a lot of knowledge, and there wasn't one inflated ego in the bunch. PNW 4x4s are composed primarily of full sized rigs on 35"+ tires, and they take pride in any body damage they have. There were a lot of raised eyebrows from people seeing a TrailBlazer on 32's crawl over some of the obstacles we took on. I was stopped more than once on the trails by strangers just to compliment the truck and ask about it. Lots of questions at the campsite as well. Felt pretty good. 8-)

I left Thursday morning with the forward party to claim our campsite. We set up camp and I wheeled all Thursday and Friday. I spent most of the day as the second truck in the pack. My rebuilt G80 was working perfectly.

The last trail on Friday was called Fire Brake 5. I tried taking the harder side up an obstacle and got hung up a bit. Tried bouncing myself up a couple times since my spotters said I was inches from getting my driver rear up on top of a rock. The third try I got a noise from the rear. I thought I hit my driveline/yoke on a rock. That combined with the fact that the girl who rode passenger with me was getting a little nervous made me decide to try the left side.

I backed up and tried the left side. The sound came back as I tried to power my way up a rock, then my rear spotter saw I was leaking diff fluid. My G80 exploded and put a hole in my rear cover. The lead truck turned around and winched me up the rock my driver left tire was on. As soon as I got on it I got traction and started to pull forward, so they unhooked me and let me drive up. I put the G80 out of it's misery finishing the obstacle without the winch.

I have literally gigabytes of video/pics to go through, plus some of the guys stayed out until today. I'm hoping to put up some more outside shots of me from some of the other guys. In the mean time here's the video/pics for the breakage.

From the top:

From the bottom, there's me at the top. Note the left side vs the right side:

Ouch:

My first winching. This is a humbling experience:

This Bronco busted the yoke on his rear end trying the obstacle one truck after me:

We met a Pathfinder and a couple Zuki's on Friday and they wheeled with us. This one is open front/rear and spent the better part of 15 minutes trying to get up. He finally did it flooring it and bouncing over. We were sure he was going to flop.

My trail fix. Bashed the hole closed with a hammer. Applied silicon and duct tape. Filled with gear oil and drove it 6+ miles to camp.

Finally, the dashcam video. For reference, the blazer in front of me is on 3/4 ton gear and 37" Iroks.

More coming as I get time. Lots of carnage as well. TSF ate a total of 5 of our trucks over the weekend. Two rear ends, a driveline, a leaf spring and some steering parts... as well as body damage for some.

I'd do it again next week, busted rear end and all. :viking:
fishsticks

by djthumper » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:15 am

Well nothing like getting it on video when you blow up your rear end. I hope to see other pics.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by Trail X » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Ouch. :wallbash: Not a fun sound to hear.

Although, looks like a pretty cool area! Looks like you did a great job hanging with the bigger trucks!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by teebes » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:00 pm

fishsticks wrote:TSF was simply awesome.

I also found an amazing group of people with a lot of knowledge, and there wasn't one inflated ego in the bunch. PNW 4x4s are composed primarily of full sized rigs on 35"+ tires, and they take pride in any body damage they have. There were a lot of raised eyebrows from people seeing a TrailBlazer on 32's crawl over some of the obstacles we took on. I was stopped more than once on the trails by strangers just to compliment the truck and ask about it. Lots of questions at the campsite as well. Felt pretty good. 8-)

And that's why we do it :safari: When out in Moab for the Jeep thing, I was amazed at how many folks couldn't pick a line whatsoever, simple pushed the go pedal and looked out the window (cause their rolling on 39" tires w/ a ton of suspension). I think I've learned more about crawling/offroading with my TB then I ever would've had I gone directly to a crazy lifted jeep.
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by fishsticks » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 pm

teebes wrote:
fishsticks wrote:TSF was simply awesome.

And that's why we do it :safari: When out in Moab for the Jeep thing, I was amazed at how many folks couldn't pick a line whatsoever, simple pushed the go pedal and looked out the window (cause their rolling on 39" tires w/ a ton of suspension). I think I've learned more about crawling/offroading with my TB then I ever would've had I gone directly to a crazy lifted jeep.

You mean like this guy?

fishsticks

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 pm

That was ugly. But it is awesome when you see something like that then a vehicle with a good driver and 4 inch smaller tires walks up it without breaking a tire loose.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

Return to Pacific U.S.