Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Planning Sep 25 -26 trail ride trout trip

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by TangoBravo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:37 pm

So myself and High sierra were talking about getting together for a trail ride/ trout day, We started the coversation on the intro section but hadn't got too far with it before I moved it here so if it sounds like you missed something it's only because we haven't talked about it yet. I am unsure at this point if it will be a camping trip or a day thing I am open for either. We also have not yet locked in a time frame yet, so if you think you could make it now would be a good time for suggestions. Our Tb's are unmolested so it won't be too rough but Im sure we will manage to get into something. :excited: So that's really all I have for now I just wanted to get the topic started we will hash the details out more later.
Last edited by TangoBravo on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm down for some trout fishing... got my tackle setup and everything... I need 2 weeks notice or so to take time off if it's gonna be up there, otherwise I'm down and off every other weekend.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by HighSierraTB » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Hey Thanks for starting this over here Tango. I have not been able to get out this year and do any quality flyfishing and thought that it might be fun to combine a trip with a trail run too. I was planning an overnighter. I have a book called Backcountry Adventures, Northern California that I picked up at Costco a few years back. There is one I'd like to try that is rated 3 out of 10. the book only covers trails rated 1-7. The trail is called Red and Blue Lakes Trail (starting GPS: N38 41.95' W119 57.91' / ending GPS: N38 37.17' W119 54.61'). there are 4 lakes in the area and 4 campgrounds. The trail itself is 10 miles plus a 2.4 mile spur road to another lake (Meadow lake) You could go in from either direction or do it back and forth. Elevation is 7,700 - 8,900 ft. I figured for non modified TrailVoys this might be a good start. and it looks like the scenery is just great up there. It looks like the trout season is year round for the lakes, but end Nov 15 for any streams. Just got to look at my calendar with the wife to see when I can get away for the weekend. Let me know your thoughts.

Mike
Attachments
book cover.jpg
(24.55 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
HighSierraTB

Name: Mike Johnson
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TangoBravo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:29 pm

yeah that sounds great, I am on standby for a timeframe from ya as I am open all month. And we will be sure to let philberto know so maybe he can make it.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by TangoBravo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:09 am

So it looks like I will have tires and a lift before our trip as long as all goes well
Last edited by TangoBravo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TangoBravo
Addict

by HighSierraTB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Well I have possible dates in September for this trip. How does leaving Sat morning early and returning sometime Sunday sound. I thought Either Sept 18-19 or Sep 25 -26 would be goo. Let me know what you think. My house is on the way up the hill off of Hwy 50. We can use this as the meeting place and a last opportunity to pickup things like food, gas or whatever. I have two kayas and a floattube that I can bring. I looked up the trail using the GPS coordinated on Google maps. The trail does not look all that complicated. Hopefully its more than just a graded dirt road. If its a bust there are a couple of other trails we could hit or we could just hang out a fish all day......

Tango, can you add the possible dates to the title of the topic. You started the topic, I'm guessing you can change that???

Mike
HighSierraTB

by Philberto » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey I may have to bow out so that I can afford to do the big planning for the 2010 ORTB West Coast Event. Will keep you guys posted, and if you can take a look in that book and find some stuff that's TB-doable in the Sierras, that's probably in the area of where we'll be (Think Mammoth, Sequoia NF, as far north as El Dorado NF)
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by TangoBravo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I will get those dates up right now and they look good to me.

TangoBravo
Addict

by HighSierraTB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:12 pm

No problem if you have to bow out. I'd love to join in the 2010 West Coast ORTB event. I'll look at the book for trails that most TB's could handle that might also have some tougher ones for those more modified.
HighSierraTB

by Trail X » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 pm

I think this goes without saying, but please be prepared when you head out to unfamiliar trails.

At least you're going with another vehicle, that's a good start... but you need to make sure you both have front tow hooks, a rear clevis hook and a dynamic strap at a minimum. I don't want one of you guys getting hung up somewhere without a way to get unstuck.

Not trying to soapbox, but I realize you both are relatively new... just trying to look out for ya.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HighSierraTB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey JD thanks for the concern. I actually feel better now that there are at least two of us going.
HighSierraTB

by HighSierraTB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Ok, unless Tango has a problem with the dates, as he is the only other one who will most likely join me, we will be doing a trail run on Sep 25-26 in the Sierras. The trail is called Red and Blue Lakes Trail. It is off of Hwy 88 at the eastern end of Red Lake. We will do some light trail driving and hopefully lots of fishing. Anyone else interested in joining please let me know.

Mike
HighSierraTB

by irishboy02 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:04 pm

I want lots of pics!

Ill prob never make it to cali so this is my best bet :work:
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TangoBravo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 pm

those dates sound good to me. :safari: I do have light recovery equipment so we should be ok for what we are doing. I have seen the general area and have a good idea of what we are missin with and will need. However I do wish that there were a more experianced TBer going to let me knoe the limits of my ride before I find it the wrong way.

TangoBravo
Addict

by HighSierraTB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Well we'll just need to keep it mellow this trip and then push it on the 2010 ORTB West Coast trip when we should have more "experts" around to tell we are about to break something. These trails we are planning on should be pretty easy. We would have to go and look for trouble to find it.
HighSierraTB

by TangoBravo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 pm

yeah thats what I was seeing.

TangoBravo
Addict

by HighSierraTB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Tango and I are going to cancel this trip and put our time into attending the wester Sierra trip in October.
HighSierraTB

by teebes » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Didn't mean to set up another trip so close to this one, my bad. Just wanted to get something on the calendar before it gets too cold up in the sticks :cheers:

TangoBravo, you going to be able to make the Sierra trip? Shoot me a PM or reply to that thread and I'll add you in the mix :drive:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HighSierraTB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:01 pm

No problem. I think this would be a better opportunity to enjoy and learn on the trails. Bonus if there is fishing!!!
HighSierraTB

Return to Pacific U.S.