Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed - The UCA test run.

Trips/trails in the western coast of the U.S. (loosely follows the Pacific Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 am

SteveTB03 came down last Wednesday and spent a couple nights here in Vancouver. We went out Thursday to see how my flipped UCAs would fair with a bit of bounce and flex.

There were a few trails I'd happened upon when exploring that I either didn't have time to head down or my wheeling buddy was too wide/too scared to do with me. Since I had a vehicle around the same size as mine I figured we'd give em a go.

I also decided to play with my new windshield mount for my phone, so I took some "dash-cam" footage. Some of these are 5 mins+ long, and there isn't anything especially exciting here. Steve is 2WD and my 4WD is still nonfunctional (but fixed very soon). If you need to kill some time and want to come along for a ride with Steve and I, feel free.

Part 1 - How to get Trail Striping (Try to ignore the squeeking of branches on paint...and my dorky comments on the CB.)

The first trail shot through a narrow gap in some trees, with a sizeable dropoff to the left. It doesn't look like anyone had been on it in a long time.

Steve was kind enough to spot me through.

And then I returned the favor.

We drove along until we hit a cut that didn't seem smart to cross without at least one working 4WD rig or a winch. So we turned around.

Here's the return trip.

Random pictures:

Note my first attempt at a tire carrier now adorning Steve's trailer hitch. Good luck with that thing bro.

Steve found a good place to flex the suspension. Time to check ball joint angles.

Posted actual ball joint images in the thread about them.

Fishsticks, unmasked!

Part 2 - How to get stuck.

Second trail is usually all muddy and sloppy, but was bone dry when we arrived. All the better I guess considering our traction challenges.

Steve is kind of a klutz. :finger:

We decided to leave Steve's truck up top just in case. He rode with me for a little ways.

End of the line... return trip.

Whoops.... good thing we left a truck up top. It took us a few trys of pulling and me reangling the truck in a space just about as wide as... the truck. But we got me out.

Yes, that's a static strap... Yes, I know it was an incorrect extraction. Yes, I ordered the parts for my 4WD fix tonight. :finger:

Heading out... as we hit the road, my AC started blowing warm... Joy. Steve wiggled my low side pressure switch and it started working again. Good catch, Steve!

Oh yeah, he spilled his drink all over himself too.

I hadn't been out really since the last time Steve was down, when my 4WD just went. Recently, I've been too busy to give the truck the attention it needs. Was nice to at least get out drive around some. I really loaded up the motor trying to get myself unstuck, and it felt like my already marginal cat was getting worse, so we headed home and spent the rest of the day replacing my exhaust and flipping Steve's UCAs.

Can't wait for my front disconnect and G80 parts to show up.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks for letting us ride along!

fishsticks wrote:Can't wait for my front disconnect and G80 parts to show up.

What about your dynamic strap from wheeler's? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1021 :slap:

Also... just a note - when pulling someone else out, it's always best to do the extraction in a forward gear. The differential and transmission are both weaker in reverse.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:27 pm

JamesDowning wrote:What about your dynamic strap from wheeler's? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1021 :slap:

Also... just a note - when pulling someone else out, it's always best to do the extraction in a forward gear. The differential and transmission are both weaker in reverse.

IMO the best way to get unstuck is not to get stuck in the first place. But you have a point. :raspberry:

There are a lot of things I'd have done differently there... I told Steve I was gonna get yelled at if I posted this on here.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by SteveTB03 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 pm

That was a lot of fun, all of it even the getting you unstuck part :)

HAHA klutz huh?? Yes I was falling all over the place there.

Whenever you need help installing the parts so you work again just give me a call and ill head on down then we can wheel again and make sure they work for you.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bobbyblaze » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:47 pm

That forest is wicked cool looking. Like one of the forest moons of Endor. :thumleft:
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by djthumper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Wow, looks like it was a nice trip. I wish I could have gone along, I was up at Ocean Shores for a couple of days. I am in Longview for a few days before heading back towards Vegas.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

Return to Pacific U.S.