Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New Lift Design (need some input)

Products offered by our vendor: markmc

Moderator: markmc

Forum rules
All posts in this section pertain to our vendor:

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm

fishsticks wrote:Why not drill and tap straight through, then install the bolts from the top? You could have over and 1.5" of thread mesh then. That's plenty strong even in aluminum.

It's really not that hard to get the holes to line up... just a little creative jacking under the LCA.

Or just loosely installing the upper bolts to keep it all aligned before wedging the assembly onto the LCA.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by markmc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:23 am

The two mounting top bolts are still being discussed between myself and the machine shop (wheeladapters)
I know there will be alot of pressure on the two bolts at full extension, i want something that will not fail when you need it most...
Several options are on the table at this point, through holes, extra large heli coils, or possibly some flanged studs.
I like the through hole myself, but it would have to be a press fit inserted stud similar to what is on our wheel spacers.

Thanks for the input!!
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Gordinho80 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:49 am

Will the spacers just have 2 bolts? Why not utilize the hole on our trucks for a 3rd bolt?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:00 am

I would also like to see all 3 mounting points used.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by markmc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 pm

I will check into the third bolt idea.
Now is the time to make changes before production starts.

Good input here!! :salut:
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

by Gordinho80 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Sweet! I think if you add the 3rd bolt, the worries of stress/pressure on the 2 bolts during extension would be significantly less. This idea is looking good! Glad you posted this, Mark!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Zero » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 pm

+1 for Mark cause he listens to his market.
Zero
Veteran

by markmc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 pm

The market has been wispering in my ear to rid of the factory mount..lol..

Also i am trying to figure out a way for my past customers to upgrade to the new design without spending a small fortune.
Not sure how thats gonna work, but i will figure something out!!

"Where theres a will..Theres a way"
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

by Hpimichael02 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Mark ill be a Ginny pig, I could drive up there and all that good stuff for testing etc.
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike mcd

by Zero » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Maybe one day you could come up with a new lower shock mount, or an adapter so that we could have access to a wider range of shocks and springs! :drool3:
Zero
Veteran

by markmc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Hpimichael02 wrote:Mark ill be a Ginny pig, I could drive up there and all that good stuff for testing etc.

Sure man, sounds like a plan!!

Zero:
I thought about that also, but the tooling cost for cast steel is astrinomical.
This project will only cost a few thousand to get going..

Just picked up some m10 wheel studs to try out on the plastic prototype at work tonight.haha

Can anyone get me the third hole dimension??
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I was glad I had three bolts on my coilovers when I broke the shock shaft at the bottom. :o

The BDS design, after I've seen them in the field for a few years, also has a weak spot in that the polyurethane shock bushings can flow AROUND the upper washer. I need to take a picture, but the washer is slightly smaller than the pooched out bushing after the shock is in and the spring pressure comes to bear. After a few years, the bushing starts to flow around and allow the washer to get recessed into the bushing. Thus they become a maintenance item that need renewing. A larger washer in comparison to the bushing wouldn't allow that cold flow.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by markmc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:34 pm

The Roadie wrote:I was glad I had three bolts on my coilovers when I broke the shock shaft at the bottom. :o

The BDS design, after I've seen them in the field for a few years, also has a weak spot in that the polyurethane shock bushings can flow AROUND the upper washer. I need to take a picture, but the washer is slightly smaller than the pooched out bushing after the shock is in and the spring pressure comes to bear. After a few years, the bushing starts to flow around and allow the washer to get recessed into the bushing. Thus they become a maintenance item that need renewing. A larger washer in comparison to the bushing wouldn't allow that cold flow.

Good to know!! Thanks Bill
Maybe a larger washer and higher durometer bushing??

I tryed posting some pics in my last post, but havent figured that out yet..lol..my bad!
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

by fishsticks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:43 pm

markmc wrote:The two mounting top bolts are still being discussed between myself and the machine shop (wheeladapters)
I know there will be alot of pressure on the two bolts at full extension, i want something that will not fail when you need it most...
Several options are on the table at this point, through holes, extra large heli coils, or possibly some flanged studs.
I like the through hole myself, but it would have to be a press fit inserted stud similar to what is on our wheel spacers.

Thanks for the input!!

The top bolts actually won't see much in the way of tensile stress. Remember the forces acting on the top of the assumbly to the spring perch are almost always upwards. Even at full extension the only force you have is the weight of the suspension components on that side. The bolts will never be "pulled" by the spring. All of that stress is on the threaded portion of the shock.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:20 pm

fishsticks wrote:...Even at full extension the only force you have is the weight of the suspension components on that side. The bolts will never be "pulled" by the spring. All of that stress is on the threaded portion of the shock.
What broke me was going from FULL compression to unweighted. The spring is fully compressed with lots of stored energy. Then I go to zero G, and the springs (50% stiffer than the stiffest GM spring) accelerate the heavy tire and wide wheel downwards. When the shock's internal bumpstop tries to stop this moving mass, the force tries to tear off the threaded section of the shock, but also tries to tear the entire strut out of the upper perch. Yes, I was going faster than conditions warranted, and I didn't expect it to break, but it shows there are significant forces involved. This wasn't a slow speed rock crawl with always positive G forces. It was a higher speed lumpy trail hill climb with a few whoopsies.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Philberto » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Zero wrote:Maybe one day you could come up with a new lower shock mount, or an adapter so that we could have access to a wider range of shocks and springs! :drool3:

Also interested in this, as it opens up a whole world of articulation possibilities for those of us who are probably never going to move to a SAS anyways. Even if it's just some modification of the existing shock mount, I'm game as long as it looks safe. Possibly even an adapter that bolts to the existing lower shock mount and has a traditional shock mount on top?
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by fishsticks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Philberto wrote:
Zero wrote:Maybe one day you could come up with a new lower shock mount, or an adapter so that we could have access to a wider range of shocks and springs! :drool3:

Also interested in this, as it opens up a whole world of articulation possibilities for those of us who are probably never going to move to a SAS anyways. Even if it's just some modification of the existing shock mount, I'm game as long as it looks safe. Possibly even an adapter that bolts to the existing lower shock mount and has a traditional shock mount on top?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this and checking out some IFS mods on Pirate. The conclusion I'm coming to is that it might actually be easier to move the upper mounts forward a couple inches and delete the lower mount entirely. Right now we are limited by the CV tripods until someone tackles lowering the front diff.

Subject for another thread IMO.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 am

Agreed, but not worth a new thread unless Mark decides to continue discussion, in which case I'll split it off.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by Hatchet669 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:05 am

glad to have you back mark... i haven't been on this site to often lately... watching with great interest uncle..
Hatchet669
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joe
Vehicle Year: 2003

by markmc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Philberto wrote:Agreed, but not worth a new thread unless Mark decides to continue discussion, in which case I'll split it off.

Any ideas are welcome in this thread !!

I didnt make much progress on the prototype last night, had other stuff going on.
Maybe tonight i will get something done and get some pics..
Will only be able to use the two mount holes till someone can get me the third hole dim.

"Hey Nephew"
You kick anyone out of Illinois lately?? :angry whip:
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

PreviousNext

Return to Liftmeister