Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New Lift Design (need some input)

Products offered by our vendor: markmc

Moderator: markmc

Forum rules
All posts in this section pertain to our vendor:

by fishsticks » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Something is amiss here... my pre-body lift hub to fender was around 23.5-24. That's 4" of suspension lift. If you are 22.5" now, that's 2.5-3ish inches of lift...which is right where you should be.

Are your springs terrible or something?
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Opeth » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:45 pm

So overall, the new design is giving 2.5"-3" of lift? How are the angles of your CV shafts and upper ball joints?
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Hpimichael02 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:20 pm

fishsticks wrote:Something is amiss here... my pre-body lift hub to fender was around 23.5-24. That's 4" of suspension lift. If you are 22.5" now, that's 2.5-3ish inches of lift...which is right where you should be.

It would be around 23 as mine was around before the bumper -2-2.5" for the bumper that brings you to 21" put the new design on and It's 22.5" maybe mark can explain what might of happened but those are the numbers I actually have a measure shot on my lift ore bumper pre new design
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike mcd
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Hpimichael02 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I'll take the bumper off tomorrow and I'll give you guys that measurement so no ones confused and we can get a better idea if it lifted it more. But it did go up from 21" to 22.5", but if anything I think it'll be marketed at 2.5-2.75" lift set up like the older set
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

by markmc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:05 am

Hpimichael02 wrote:
fishsticks wrote:Something is amiss here... my pre-body lift hub to fender was around 23.5-24. That's 4" of suspension lift. If you are 22.5" now, that's 2.5-3ish inches of lift...which is right where you should be.

It would be around 23 as mine was around before the bumper -2-2.5" for the bumper that brings you to 21" put the new design on and It's 22.5" maybe mark can explain what might of happened but those are the numbers I actually have a measure shot on my lift ore bumper pre new design

Mike
I think your springs have taken a very bad sag due to the extra heavy bumper and winch.
That 1.5" of lift will probably be short lived..imo..
The new springs will cure that issue.
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Hpimichael02 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:21 am

I'm gonna take the bumper off for a couple weeks due to some mods so we will see if it pops back up a Lil, but the new design did look much thick than the whole old assembly, we can always hope right lol
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:14 am

Hpimichael02 wrote:I'm gonna take the bumper off for a couple weeks due to some mods so we will see if it pops back up a Lil, but the new design did look much thick than the whole old assembly, we can always hope right lol

Take a look at the half shafts. I wouldn't be hoping for too much more lift unless you want extra stress and less margin for safety. My 88s and marks old kit had me stressed too point I wouldn't wheel it til it settled. It dropped 1.5 in or so after couple weeks and some rock crawling at redbird.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by Zero » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 pm

So to understand, this n" new in design 3" lift" is only giving 2.5-2.75" of lift? Does that mean the design failed? or is that in the area of lift you were looking to achieve? Currently I have sagging soft springs, and the bds2" lift. So anything to get me up a lil higher would be great. I also wondered if you are using the same poly bushings as the BDS kit? or if this new design gets rid of them entirely.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Hpimichael02 wrote:I'll take the bumper off tomorrow and I'll give you guys that measurement so no ones confused and we can get a better idea if it lifted it more. But it did go up from 21" to 22.5", but if anything I think it'll be marketed at 2.5-2.75" lift set up like the older set

So wait... you had a 2.5" lift kit before... then you installed the newly designed lift, which gave you 1.5" more lift.

So doesn't this mean we're looking at 4" of total lift from the new kit? :scratch:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by Opeth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Some install photos and measurement pictures would be a good thing to have right about now. Before's and after's...
Opeth
Addict

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Opeth wrote:Some install photos and measurement pictures would be a good thing to have right about now. Before's and after's...

Search any lift install and I have measueements in a thread if you look. Install is like any other lift.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by Opeth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
Opeth wrote:Some install photos and measurement pictures would be a good thing to have right about now. Before's and after's...

Search any lift install and I have measueements in a thread if you look. Install is like any other lift.

I have seen your photos of the old design, not looking for a how-to on suspension install either. I may be a newb by my time length on this site, but I do my research :work: before I do anything. Your build is one I have spent a bit of time looking at, amongst others.

This is more pertaining to the new design. For insistence pictures of the distance from hub center to fender to see if the new lift actually boasted more lift compared to the older design, I thought that was the purpose of the new design amongst deletion of the top plate. The numbers can be different between trucks based on their options, engine, spring sag, spring stiffness, etc so I was hoping for pictures from the install of his before height with truck options, and after photos once the suspension has re-settled. I've been talking to mark about them and just looking for justification of spending a bit more on the new design opposed to the older one.

I'm not trying to be rude or offensive by any means towards anyone, but I am more of a visual person. I'd like to see what something actually did rather than someone's key strokes telling me it did it, thats all. :)
Opeth
Addict

by Trail X » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Opeth wrote:I'm not trying to be rude or offensive by any means towards anyone, but I am more of a visual person. I'd like to see what something actually did rather than someone's key strokes telling me it did it, thats all. :)

Hear, hear!! :thumright:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 pm

When I get my hands on one of the kits I will get pics and measurements...if I have it soon enough I can install and test at badlands on jan 2nd.

Feel free to request what pics and measurements will help ya'll out and will do my best to provide them
HARDTRAILZ

by Hpimichael02 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:53 pm

Old design
Sorry it's floor to fender didn't do a hub to fender then
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

by Hpimichael02 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:55 pm

New design
(pic tomorrow)
New measure is 37.5 is what I measured will redo again but old dewing was around 36.8"

And that's after the winch bumper was on so it's settled with the offloading yesterday lol
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

by Opeth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm

I have most concern with CV half shaft angle. I haven't figured out which springs I have as of yet, but when I do the suspension I will most likely be swapping in 87's or 88's with one of marks lifts. I already have reserved one of the recent runs of his 3" body lifts. This is my daily driver so lay up time has to be kept to a minimal. I can't be eating through half shafts 2-3 times a year, that is probably an extreme case in itself.

I do like to keep to originality, but when it comes to suspension I have learned my lessons when I was younger with tuner cars and take them seriously. ( First suspension were cheap $99 springs on factory stock struts -- Damaged more than I am willing to admit, last suspension before I parted the car out was a $1,700 TEIN Super street coil over set up with an electronic dampening force controller) Please don't be offended Hardtrailz but I am modeling my lift setup after yours, down to the 305's in tires.

When you get the new lift, can you take pictures of the stressed components ( Upper ball joints and half shafts with old lift and new when your finished?) It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- Cody
Opeth
Addict

by fishsticks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 pm

FWIW I don't think anyone here has broken a CV shaft due to angle concerns.

Springs/lift choice won't have any effect on the CV maximum angle. Only adding lift to the outside of the assembly (or lengthening the strut rod) will increase maximum angle.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Hpimichael02 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:53 pm

kyle you got yours yet ???

mark call me when you can
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Not yet
HARDTRAILZ

PreviousNext

Return to Liftmeister