New Bumper Orders Temporarily Suspended Starting 12/1/12

Products offered by our vendor: BartonMD

Moderator: bartonmd

Forum rules
All posts in this section pertain to our vendor:

by bartonmd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:25 pm

TBYODA wrote:
dvanbramer88 wrote:FWIW
pipe and tubing is pretty forgiving to weld with because it is softer and more porous than sheet steel. The sliders should be good to learn on.

That is good hear what about square or rectangular tubbing? I like Mike's wife/husband proof sliders. They are functional and kinda hide under the door and does not require any bending. I need to get my buddy's MIG welder over to my house so I can practice. I had hard time working on my oil skid for two reason. 1. First time and 2. A real dark mask, a non auto darkening. The other day I picked up auto-darkening welding helmet for $35. A cheap-o yes and really not worth the 69.99 they say it is normally. But it should work for now.

Mike
Can you weld the rad skid kits and the bumper kits with the HF type welders or is steel to think?

Yeah, the HF welder will weld sliders, fine. The only thing it won't weld fine is the shackle mounts, and it will do OK with those if you heat them up with a torch. Or, as I offered to somebody else, I can mount the top frame mount and burn in the shackle mounts for an extra $60 on a kit price on a non-body-lift bumper. If Kyle happens to be around, I can do it on a 3" BL, as well.

dvanbramer88 wrote:Rob, I made a giant roof rack for my buddies Yukon out of 1" square tubing. I thought it was pretty easy to weld. I'm not sure about the bigger box tubing mike is using for the sliders. I'm assuming it is bent sheet and not extruded. But I wouldn't know for sure. He would know better. If I had to guess, I would say it would be just like sheet steel.

Nearly all tubing, square, rectangle, or round is just formed and welded sheet steel. Black pipe is different, and is what you were referring to, before.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Yea, black pipe.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 am

Hey Mike, I was wondering, we never relocated our front bumper, just the rear. (which sometimes I think might of been a mistake) Does that matter for the lift bumper kit?
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Vehicle Year: 2003

by bartonmd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:43 am

mikekey wrote:Hey Mike, I was wondering, we never relocated our front bumper, just the rear. (which sometimes I think might of been a mistake) Does that matter for the lift bumper kit?

You don't use any of the body lift's bumper relocation mounts or anything, with my 3" BL bumpers. It's completely different, and just mounts directly to the frame. If I can convince Kyle to stop by after work one day, we can get a body lift bumper kit shackle mounts welded for you.

Mike
bartonmd

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:48 am

I can about any day next week.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am

Around 10 years ago I bought a Lincoln 110 volt from Home Depot. It can run gas or flux. I like it.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by bartonmd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm

ErikSS wrote:Around 10 years ago I bought a Lincoln 110 volt from Home Depot. It can run gas or flux. I like it.

Yep. 120V Lincoln MIG welders are $250 all day long on CList, and Lincoln "buzz box" 220V stick welders are $200 all day long on there. I'm considering buying one to have, and doing a bumper with it, to show that a bumper can still look awesome, even done with a stick welder.

Mike
bartonmd

by ErikSS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:41 pm

bartonmd wrote: I'm considering buying one to have, and doing a bumper with it, to show that a bumper can still look awesome, even done with a stick welder.

Show off. :viking: lol
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by bgwolfpack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:10 pm

ErikSS wrote:
bartonmd wrote: I'm considering buying one to have, and doing a bumper with it, to show that a bumper can still look awesome, even done with a stick welder.

Show off. :viking: lol

Sounds like Kyle talking about getting different wheels and tires for his TB. :poke: And just like him, Mike will make a bumper with a stick welder and it will look awesome! :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by c bausch » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Bartonmd! We love you ..... Lolol
c bausch
Off-Roader

Name: chris