Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

MDB Steel Bumpers...

Products offered by our vendor: BartonMD

Moderator: bartonmd

Forum rules
All posts in this section pertain to our vendor:

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:42 pm

To be a member here they should have to pay dues of $XXX so we can send them one of Mike's oil skids right off the bat. Or provide proof of owning one and a $50 non refundable deposit toward more armor from mike... :finger: :raspberry: :gimp:
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by SteveTB03 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I would love to buy one of Mikes armory products but since I live in Seattle I don't know or want to see what shipping will be on one of his products.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:50 pm

I am not part of the MTA mafia yet, but will likely be going with UHMW skidplates for now, then plates from Neil if those don't suffice (though I think they will). Mike is getting my business for the rad skidplate and front bumper though, once I have the money. I don't need winch clearance because I'm mounting mine in the old spare tire location.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Diacom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Ok, I realize the first pic here isn't of the new design and the second is the CAD drawing...

My question is: Will the new style bumper sit in about the same location in relation to the tire or will you have it form back to the wheel well more?

More like JD's bumper?

Any reason not to have the top portion of the bumper flat for mounting lights similar to the first pic as well as mounting a brush guard and changing up the mounts instead to have the bumper raised rather than use the additional angle for a fill?

I understand that folks with a body lift would have a larger fill area than folks w/o the body lift. That would require different mounts to have the bumper sit higher to better match up to the body. I would guess that would be something that folks would have to put note when they order a bumper from you.

I'm not trying to make more work for you Mike, just trying to clear up a few things before the design is final so I know whether or not to budget for your bumper or wait and have something else done.

Your rad and oil pan armor is already being accounted for in the budget :D
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003

by aaronrules » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:38 pm

I only want this stuff for looks...I never do anything but over speed bumps and curbs in the mall anyway...I'm actually waiting to get some good armor before i get to crazy do anything.
Lift, shocks, wheels and tires installed...need some armor now.
aaronrules
Off-Roader

Name: Aaron
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

bartonmd wrote:Bumpers should be in the $275 + shipping range, and rad skids will be in the $230 + shipping range... Rad skids will be getting a Group Buy in a couple weeks...

Mike

Dude, those are friggin great prices. Bumpers generally go for $500 at a min. Thanks for helping out the community bro. :thumleft:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bartonmd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Diacom wrote:Image

Ok, I realize the first pic here isn't of the new design and the second is the CAD drawing...

My question is: Will the new style bumper sit in about the same location in relation to the tire or will you have it form back to the wheel well more?

More like JD's bumper?

Any reason not to have the top portion of the bumper flat for mounting lights similar to the first pic as well as mounting a brush guard and changing up the mounts instead to have the bumper raised rather than use the additional angle for a fill?

I understand that folks with a body lift would have a larger fill area than folks w/o the body lift. That would require different mounts to have the bumper sit higher to better match up to the body. I would guess that would be something that folks would have to put note when they order a bumper from you.

I'm not trying to make more work for you Mike, just trying to clear up a few things before the design is final so I know whether or not to budget for your bumper or wait and have something else done.

Your rad and oil pan armor is already being accounted for in the budget :D

I designed the one you posted, as well as this one below, but exactly nobody wanted the one below, and exactly everybody wanted the one you posted.

If you want the one below, I can make you one.

The point of these bumpers is to be affordable and minimalistic... No, they don't blend perfectly with the body like they came from the factory. They also weigh 75# instead of 150#... They also don't take anything away from approach angle... Part of the reason for that is; they aren't oversized enough to have different mounting points. The bottom of the bumper is the bottom mount to the frame.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Those talking about shipping for the rad plates, PM me your zip code.

Mike
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 pm

JamesDowning wrote:
bartonmd wrote:Bumpers should be in the $275 + shipping range, and rad skids will be in the $230 + shipping range... Rad skids will be getting a Group Buy in a couple weeks...

Mike

Dude, those are friggin great prices. Bumpers generally go for $500 at a min. Thanks for helping out the community bro. :thumleft:

I know I can do them for that if I cut them out of plate... I need to see how much it adds to have them punched out on the Turret... Pretty sure I can still sell them for that... I'll find out in the next few days...

But yeah, like I said above, these aren't meant to compete with KMA or any of the big guys... These are meant to be a minimalistic bumper that doesn't weigh a ton, doesn't eat up approach angle, and is half (or less) the price of everybody else...

Mike
bartonmd

by Diacom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:02 pm

bartonmd wrote:
The point of these bumpers is to be affordable and minimalistic... No, they don't blend perfectly with the body like they came from the factory. They also weigh 75# instead of 150#... They also don't take anything away from approach angle... Part of the reason for that is; they aren't oversized enough to have different mounting points. The bottom of the bumper is the bottom mount to the frame.

Mike

Alright, sounds good so far, is the older style (more boxed look) also have a flat bottom? It appears so from your CAD Pic. Can you do the angled lower section from the newer style with the flat upper section? Hard to tell from the CAD pic, but it may just do that if it's flipped over and the ends swapped for the angle.

Also have the outter top section of the "wings" extended back to the opening of the fender well then angle forward t'words the front for wheel clearence?

As you said, it will not be something that looks like it comes from the factory, just wondering if it can match the lines a bit more. Then if nothing else I can have a filler plate added between the fender and the bumper before painting.
Diacom
Addict

by Trail X » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:51 am

Diacom wrote:Alright, sounds good so far, is the older style (more boxed look) also have a flat bottom? It appears so from your CAD Pic. Can you do the angled lower section from the newer style with the flat upper section? Hard to tell from the CAD pic, but it may just do that if it's flipped over and the ends swapped for the angle.

You're asking for a lot of design work there. None of Mike's drawings have a angled lower section. They are all flat in order to accept his radiator skid.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by bartonmd » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:44 am

JamesDowning wrote:
Diacom wrote:Alright, sounds good so far, is the older style (more boxed look) also have a flat bottom? It appears so from your CAD Pic. Can you do the angled lower section from the newer style with the flat upper section? Hard to tell from the CAD pic, but it may just do that if it's flipped over and the ends swapped for the angle.

You're asking for a lot of design work there. None of Mike's drawings have a angled lower section. They are all flat in order to accept his radiator skid.

Exactly. In order to do those things and make them look right, that's pretty much a completely different design. They're both bumpers, and both made of steel, but that's about where the designs would go apart.

Also, the other reason for the flat bottom is to keep the airflow section of the radiator skid in fresh air...

For the right money, I can do all the things that Diacom is looking for, but not for the ~$275 these are going to cost... Again, there are people who make what you're looking for... for $600 + paying somebody to narrow it to Trailvoy width (KMA), or $1000 for other guys. I do appreciate the input, but there was an input thread that started 4 months ago, about this... The reason the radiator skids got put on the shelf for 8 months is; I was trying to take everybody's input and make the one piece fit everybody's needs, and got burnt out on it. At some point, it is what it is, and if you like it, great. If you want something different, it can be done, but is a custom design.

Mike
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I just checked, and yeah, it looks like I can still do the $275 in the future, with them being punched...

Mike
bartonmd

by aaronrules » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 pm

bartonmd wrote:I just checked, and yeah, it looks like I can still do the $275 in the future, with them being punched...

Mike

When you are ready, could you let us/me know a price for both the bumper and skid together? With a military discount!? LOL.
Lift, shocks, wheels and tires installed...need some armor now.
aaronrules
Off-Roader

Name: Aaron
Vehicle Year: 2004

by bartonmd » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 pm

aaronrules wrote:
bartonmd wrote:I just checked, and yeah, it looks like I can still do the $275 in the future, with them being punched...

Mike

When you are ready, could you let us/me know a price for both the bumper and skid together? With a military discount!? LOL.

Sure will... Lookin' like, if the plasma cutter tips do, indeed, come in on Monday, and I can finish the bumpers next week; I may be able to do the group buys for the radiator skids and bumpers concurrently, so if you're ordering both, I can just strap them on a skid, and send them to you...

You laugh, but the .mil discount for rad skid and bumper is $20 each.

Mike
bartonmd

by Regulator1175 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:39 pm

bartonmd wrote:

Mike

Very cool of you Mike! :thumleft: Any chance you offer the military discount to disabled veterans as well? :D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by bartonmd » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Regulator1175 wrote:
bartonmd wrote:

Mike

Very cool of you Mike! :thumleft: Any chance you offer the military discount to disabled veterans as well? :D

LOL, depends on what they got disabled doing... :poke:

Mike
bartonmd

by Zero » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:00 pm

I cant wait to get back home and start doing some work. I need to save a bunch of cash for some new parts, and this awesome bumper, and rad protection.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Diacom » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm

mike wrote:Sure will... Lookin' like, if the plasma cutter tips do, indeed, come in on Monday, and I can finish the bumpers next week; I may be able to do the group buys for the radiator skids and bumpers concurrently, so if you're ordering both, I can just strap them on a skid, and send them to you...

Showed my wife both Cad drawings and explained to her the options of what was avail vs. the cost of custom and immediate necessaty vs. waiting and possible damage. She was more interested in the angled design vs. boxed. Guess you where right about folks not being as interested in that version.

Anyways, option of group for bumper and both skids by chance?
Diacom
Addict

by bartonmd » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:40 am

Diacom wrote:
mike wrote:Sure will... Lookin' like, if the plasma cutter tips do, indeed, come in on Monday, and I can finish the bumpers next week; I may be able to do the group buys for the radiator skids and bumpers concurrently, so if you're ordering both, I can just strap them on a skid, and send them to you...

Showed my wife both Cad drawings and explained to her the options of what was avail vs. the cost of custom and immediate necessaty vs. waiting and possible damage. She was more interested in the angled design vs. boxed. Guess you where right about folks not being as interested in that version.

Anyways, option of group for bumper and both skids by chance?

Yeah, the GBs will be at the same time, so you can get a discount on shipping if I put them together on a skid, and send them truck freight.

Mike
bartonmd

PreviousNext

Return to MDB Fabrication