Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Brakes, brakes, and more brakes

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by cpyonker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:58 pm

What are your guys common issues with your brakes, average life for your calibers and such.

I know I asked a question about long lasting brakes earlier. But I am curious if they are a common problem on these vehicles.

My last brake job was in May, we replaced literally everything except brake lines.
Now I have more seized brakes, I’ve only gotten 5k out of my brake calipers before they begin seizing up on me. My last brake job also only lasted 5k.
Since May, I’ve been wheeling 4 times. 3 of those involved mud, with the most recent trip being silver lake in August. And I haven’t wheeled since. My brakes were fine then.
cpyonker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Diacom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Mud is mucho bad for vehicles. You should thoroughly clean it off after each mudding. That or accept the fact it'll be dirty forever and never clean it. At least that way there is a reason for parts failures.

I replaced my brakes about 2 years ago. Not that I needed to, but because I had the parts available to me upgrade the fronts to EXT calipers and such. Otherwise, I'd probably still be rocking the other brakes. Oh, and they where the ones I've had on it since I purchased the vehicle with about 60k mi on the odometer. The rears are still the same set from purchase. So I'd say about another 60k in wear, possibly a little more as I haven't driven the TB as much the last few years besides 2 runs to Moab and one to DTC since that swap and I now have 134k.

The one thing I don't do though is play in the mud, at all. I don't avoid it per say, but also do not intentionally go and drive through gobs of it. That and I try to avoid driving if they've recently cleared the roads due to the mag-chloride they use, don't trust the stuff.

So yeah, not sure why you are burning through brakes so frequently aside from the mud.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Flyingfischer5 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 am

I replaced mine about 30k ago and still have half the pads left. Alot was driving from Spokane,WA to Detroit but it has seen plenty of city and offroad driving with no ill effect. Either you are doing something very wrong or the mud is wrecking your stuff. Maybe when done wheeling do to a car wash and really get into the wheel wells, rims, brakes to get it clean as possible.
Flyingfischer5
Off-Roader

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by cpyonker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:10 am

Yeah, I mean, I wash it a week after wheeling at the latest. And plenty people on here go through mud and I couldn’t find anybody reporting problems like this.
I do also drive in the mag chloride since the farm I work at is down a dirt road.
I’ll hope for better luck on the next set of calibers.
cpyonker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

Return to Truck Discussion