Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Breaking Parts Off-Road

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by wink » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 pm

So the more I get into this off-roading stuff and trying to share my excitement with the GF :woot: , the more she worries about me completely destroying the TB. So the discussion here is, what have you broken while out riding and what are the most commonly broken parts? :safari:
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

Name: Kevin
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Trailblazer has not broke. Previous vehicles...axles, u joints, driveshafts, body panels, transmission, radiator, windshield, cut tires, bent rims...maybe some other things, but if you are careful you can wheel quite a bit without hurting anything. I had vehicles that were toys and back up vehicles for them before. I was also young and dumb. Now i can do more without damage than I could do before with damage. You learn alot over a decade+ in the dirt.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Hard to answer this one fully.

Basically, you want to be prepared for anything that could break on the vehicle? The thing to keep in mind isn't what can fail... it's what is most likely to fail, how bad is that failure, and how far away you are from help.

The most basic repair-related items you could carry are:
-fuses (including a megafuse)
-multimeter
-accessible fire extinguisher
-a leak-repair kit (http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service ... 0Putty.htm)
-spare tire/tire repair kit

This will allow you to fix or stop most of the most common and potential catastrophes you may encounter, and allow you to at least limp back to a road. You can't fix most of the big issues on a trail, but the goal is just to get back to a location where you can get a tow.

Remember to just bring your common sense. For instance, if you destroy a front CV shaft, just remove it and continue. At least you'll be able to drive using the rear axle.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 pm

JamesDowning wrote: For instance, if you destroy a front CV shaft, just remove it and continue. At least you'll be able to drive using the rear axle.
Hehe. And if you grenade your rear end, the front wheels can get you 20 miles back to pavement. :cheers:

My worst trail failure was a tie rod end. Could barely get to the side of the trail, and my spare was AT HOME! Teebes had to drive 60-70 miles to Fresno to get a spare for me.

A megafuse will only kill some of the lights and the entertainment systems, but the truck can still start and run. That's not fatal, but it's worth carrying a spare. Many other fuses can disable the engine, so it's definitely worth carrying a set of all fuses and relays, plus schematics.

I could put together a PDF schematic package if that's interesting to people who don't have the factory manual.

A SPOT beacon can do wonders for girlfriend or spousal reassurance. http://www.findmespot.com/en/

A lot depends on your budget, and how much your girlfriend ALREADY knows about your personality and tolerance for risk.

As to what fails most often that can prevent you from getting back to pavement - it's definitely tires. I've put in three plugs on one run - if all I was carrying was one spare tire, I would have had to abandon the run after the first puncture. So get a good plug kit such as one from ARB, not the $4 cheapies, and a good compressor.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by wink » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:05 am

Good to know. I'm trying to get as prepared as possible before hitting the big trails, I will of course have someone experienced with me the first few times out.
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

by Zero » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:52 am

Just remember 4x4 is not about how fast you made it through the trail. So taker your time, and have fun. We like to ride for fun here, not ride to break stuff.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by wink » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 am

Zero wrote:Just remember 4x4 is not about how fast you made it through the trail. So taker your time, and have fun. We like to ride for fun here, not ride to break stuff.

I know slow is the key, the TB is no BAJA Trophy truck. Being my daily driver will keep me from going crazy on the trails. Looking at all the TECORE and other trail pics and videos posted, one thing that makes me nervous is some of those water crossings. :awesome:
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

by Gordinho80 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Just reroute the vents, you should be fine in most water crossings. None of us will really go through anything too deep. That is, until we get a functional snorkel..... :poke:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by KE7WOX » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I got Arizona pinstriping on mine, that's the worst so far.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by irishboy02 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:That is, until we get a functional snorkel..... :poke:

Im working on it im working on :mechanic:
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71