Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Vandals broke rear EXT vent glass.

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by Berettaspeed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Has anyone ever changed out this window? I have searched online but have not seen anything.

Someone broke my window last night and i dont want to pay 400 bucks to have it changed out. I got a whole part from the junk yard for 50 bucks. I see the motor is anchored but i do not see how the back part is anchored. I am removing panels now and might figure it out... but just seeing if someone already had a write up.

If not i guess i will make one if all goes well.

Thanks in advance. MIke
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Name: bob
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Rickalicka18 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I believe the vent window is connected to the rubber molding that goes around the window. Would you be able to take some pictures?... I've taken out windows before in the front haven't done the back though and it's not that hard to do.

I actually have a door from the junk yard, It's the rear passenger side one. Not sure if the rear window is different on ext though
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Berettaspeed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am

I could not find much info in the time crunch i had. I seen a few pics online of rear quarter vent window. but it didnt make much sense to me, so i pretty much waited for the used part to arrive and just winged it from there. i watched glass removal techniques from youtube on other stuff. I took my gasket scraper and a heat gun to remove the old glue from the used good assembly. i practiced on the old part that was in pieces. i dont know how the salvage yard guys removed it so well. im amazed. haha i just broke it as i went and took more care in not scratching the paint and what not. i heated the glue a tab but heated the scraper more. it worked great with slow even pressure. i could even tell when the heat was fading and had to re-heat.
i used 3M window weld glue cartridge. expensive but i hear its great for the job. i applied standard gasket sealer to the few deep metal gouges i made from removing the broken part. let it sit for an hour.
i left a small amount of old glue on both the truck and used window to help stick better.
there are line up pins and snap clips to hold this window in. so i did not use masking tape to hold it in place like a windshield.

the window motor i just copied the other side and it works fine with minor adjustment for the glass and how snug to seal closed, which also helps sets the glue.

i will find out if it held up tomorrow and a water test in a few days.

i did remove a few simple interior panels. the panels by the belts, and just the side a bit to see. took about 2.5-3.0 hours altogether.

includes learning and texting and practicing heat usage on the old broken part to make sure warping and how much heat was safe. i over heated an old scrap part to see limits. 20 seconds of high heat in one spot got it upset lol

any questions i can do my best to answer. my mind jumps around and i may leave out a few things.

hope this helps.
Attachments
20170620_195402.jpg
20170620_195411.jpg
20170620_180554.jpg
20170620_173428.jpg
20170620_183222.jpg
20170620_000553.jpg
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

by Berettaspeed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:26 am

maybe took 4 hours. i had to hunt through a few videos and stare at mine for a bit.

hour to hunt and learn, an hour to remove from truck and then another hour to remove glue and prep surface. and an hour to applying glue and install and clean up. or something like that.

on a scale of 1-10.... i give it a 5/10. time consuming but not horrible. just had to learn, then it seemed fine once i just went at it and no turning back. doubt was not invited. :)
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:55 am

Ahh you were talking about that vent window... I thought you were talking about the rear door vent window. Glad you got it replaced though.
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

Return to Truck Discussion