Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Trailblazer 6.5 Turbo Diesel Swap

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by adharding » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Hey guys, been on here for a while but haven't posted. I'm working on a little bit of a project, getting ready to swap a 6.5 turbo diesel out of a 1993 K2500.

I got the engine in exchange for my Labor,swapping a 4l60E out of an 02 suburban. Here's what it looked like when I got it home.
20161013_235738.jpg

It's a fairly simple engine, no ECU, and only takes 12v and 1 wire to run. Weighs about 750 Lbs, and has the footprint of a big block chevy. I'm planning on using an NV4500, mated to a NP241 transfer case.

Here's what it's going in
[attachment=0]20161013_200952.jpg/attachment]

2007 Trailblazer LS, 4.2, 35x12.50x17 tires, 3" body lift and 3" suspension lift. I'll be hanging a Dana 44HD before I drop in the engine and trans.

I'll be driving home to California this Thanksgiving in it by the looks of it.
Attachments
20161013_200952.jpg
07 Trailblazer, 33" trail digger m/t's, 3" suspension lift, Markmc spacers,3"body lift, bumper delete mod (for now), welded front disconnect, 6.5 duramax/nv4500/ SAS in the works
adharding
Cruiser

Name: AD Harding
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by larryk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:55 am

This is one to watch! Best of luck
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Mirage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:33 am

Sub'd
Mirage
Cruiser

Name: Cory
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:57 pm

OK, I've got to ask... Why, if you were going to build a trail-only rig, wouldn't you just LS swap it or something? More specifically, why, if you're doing all that work, wouldn't you put a good diesel engine in, rather than one that's largely regarded as a dog turd? I make the assumption that it's a Trail-only, non-street-legal rig because it won't pass emissions tests in NM or CA, and you can't switch a gas vehicle to diesel or vice versa, at all, in CA (and maybe in NM?), and still register it. The places that do allow it, mostly just let you put a newer engine into something old, but won't let you put an older engine into something new. You could do it in a state like IN, where there isn't any emissions testing, but not out there.

From a functional standpoint, diesels suck at everything that's not mud bogging or slick-rock crawling, especially with a manual trans, because of the lack or RPM range. That was the most frustrating thing about my Cummins, off pavement. There is no "crawl until the right point, then blast the throttle and get a bunch of wheel speed" like you can do with a gas engine. You either don't get the wheel speed, or you slip the clutch at low speed in a high gear. Also, diesels don't live long when you're crawling up things. Because of the high compression and steep pressure spike from combustion (where gas engines have more of a "push" pressure impulse), when you run it low/out of oil pressure for short periods at big angles, it really tears up diesel bottom ends, where gas engines can survive some of that (as long as you aren't just going crazy on throttle/rpm).

I mean... As a project, it's kind of "neat" but I don't really see the point, out where you are?? I don't meant to be a dick, but better you find out now than after it's done and you've trashed a perfectly good vehicle.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Bigger turbo
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by adharding » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:24 pm

bartonmd wrote:OK, I've got to ask... Why, if you were going to build a trail-only rig, wouldn't you just LS swap it or something? More specifically, why, if you're doing all that work, wouldn't you put a good diesel engine in, rather than one that's largely regarded as a dog turd? I make the assumption that it's a Trail-only, non-street-legal rig because it won't pass emissions tests in NM or CA, and you can't switch a gas vehicle to diesel or vice versa, at all, in CA (and maybe in NM?), and still register it. The places that do allow it, mostly just let you put a newer engine into something old, but won't let you put an older engine into something new. You could do it in a state like IN, where there isn't any emissions testing, but not out there.

From a functional standpoint, diesels suck at everything that's not mud bogging or slick-rock crawling, especially with a manual trans, because of the lack or RPM range. That was the most frustrating thing about my Cummins, off pavement. There is no "crawl until the right point, then blast the throttle and get a bunch of wheel speed" like you can do with a gas engine. You either don't get the wheel speed, or you slip the clutch at low speed in a high gear. Also, diesels don't live long when you're crawling up things. Because of the high compression and steep pressure spike from combustion (where gas engines have more of a "push" pressure impulse), when you run it low/out of oil pressure for short periods at big angles, it really tears up diesel bottom ends, where gas engines can survive some of that (as long as you aren't just going crazy on throttle/rpm).

I mean... As a project, it's kind of "neat" but I don't really see the point, out where you are?? I don't meant to be a dick, but better you find out now than after it's done and you've trashed a perfectly good vehicle.

Mike

Hey Mike,
I considered an LS swap, however I have 800 gallons of used motor oil I'd like to burn. In my neck of the woods, we don't have emissions testing. So that's off my worry list.
It's gonna be mostly used as a daily driver/service truck, and with wheeling on weekends.
I've been around the 6.2/6.5 motors for a while now, and have seen them be very reliable motors with proper care. I considered a 4bt, but they are real hard to come by out here. The eventual goal is an P400 long block, after this one kicks the bucket. we shall see what happens, Señor.
07 Trailblazer, 33" trail digger m/t's, 3" suspension lift, Markmc spacers,3"body lift, bumper delete mod (for now), welded front disconnect, 6.5 duramax/nv4500/ SAS in the works
adharding
Cruiser

Name: AD Harding

by bartonmd » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:47 pm

You're not in new Mexico? I know NM has emission tests every 2 years. Supposed to be state wide, right?

I mean, if you're titling it someplace that doesn't do any emissions testing, then it's cool. Just don't get caight after you move to CA, with it in your name but titled in another state!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by hayes » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm just here for pictures. :)
hayes
Cruiser

Name: Brandon

by ErikSS » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Barton hit most of my first thoughts. Did I read you plan to put a Dana 44 under the front? I assume you're thinking for the weight of the engine? I'm thinking with a 750# engine sitting up front, you might need something heavier than a 44. A Dana 60 maybe? A 14 bolt?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Return to Truck Discussion