Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Disconnect actuator not engaging

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by BC backroader » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:47 pm

I've read the troubleshooting guide re front disconnect, and it doesn't seem to address the issue I have encountered. I'm not getting front wheel drive when switching to 4Hi or 4Lo, but I'm not getting a service 4x4 light. I can hear the actuator motor run, but it appears to not engage the drive gear for the actuator fork. Could the gear drive on the motor, or the gear it engages to push the fork be stripped or stuck? Can this be diagnosed without taking apart the disconnect?

Any and all suggestions appreciated, as I'll be getting this looked at by a shop in a week or so, since I'm having major surgery on Wed, and won't be able to get under the truck for quite some time, as I'm told recovery could be long and slow. I want to give the mechanic as much info as possible to keep his time to diagnose and repair to a minimum.

Thanks,
Brad
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by escapepilot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:15 am

I had an issue where everything looked and sounded as if it were engaging 4wd, but the front tires wouldn't pull. I used the troubleshooting guide and everything checked out. It wound up being the transfer case actuator motor. There's a brake in it that is supposed to hold it in position when it changes and that brake was slipping. Not sure how to test it though...I had a spare actuator to test with.
escapepilot
Off-Roader

Name: Shannon
Vehicle Year: 2004

by stastyle » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 pm

If you lift the front end, and spin the passenger side tire by hand while the 4wd is engaged, what happens?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
stastyle
Cruiser

Name: Stas
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by BC backroader » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Stastyle, sorry didn't answer sooner, I'm in hospital recovering from surgery right now and the last few days were really tough.

I had a shop look at it before I went for the op, and the mech said it sounds like an actuator is not meshing like it should

The truck operates fine in 2wd, so I'll get to it when im feeling up to it
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by TBYODA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:50 am

Brad
First get well soon so you can hit the trails again.
It is possible that the disconnect actuator has some issues internally. The gears inside are just plastic, however if some mechanical problem with the disconnect itself inside then you could have your symptoms. For example I had the same issue at the spring TECORE in 2014. What had happen is the outer needle bearing in the disconnect had failed causing the CV to be a greater angle. This in turn causes the outer gear to be at slight angle compared to the inner gear and the collar would slip off the inner gear because the actuator can't hold it. The fork could have also broken. Have the shop check the cv for play were it goes into the disconnect. There should be very little less than 1/8". When is the last time the disconnect has been serviced?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by TBYODA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:57 am

Also if you remove the actuator from the disconnect you can see the fork and inspect it a little.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by stastyle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:58 am

I just wanted to add that when my front disconnect problems began(few posts below), 2 mechanics didn't know for sure what is the problem, and only with the troubleshooting graph, I diagnosed it as a front disconnect failure. I could drive on 2wd without any problem or weird sounds. Eventually it was the outer case that broke and let water in, that flushed the grease and eventually broke the needle bearing, causing a jam so the actuator couldn't move. Common issue with these units apparently. I bought the US PowerTrain one, looks pretty solid and they say that it's an improved version of the original one - only time will tell...
Keep us updated!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
stastyle
Cruiser

Name: Stas
Vehicle Year: 2007

by BC backroader » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, stastyle,and yes I can't wait to hit the trails again

The shop I use is off roarer friendly, so I'm sure we'll get it fixed without extra costs

I'm being discharged from the hospital on Thu, then return Mon to get a LOT of staples removed. I hope to be ready to drive near the end of next week
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Return to Truck Discussion