Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Issues with braking

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by bearcat90 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Ever since I had my lift and suspension put on I've had issues with braking around turns, but today it got way worse after a trip to the shop for an oil change and tire rotation. It seems like the brakes aren't engaging and there's a grinding sound, then my Stabilitrak activates. Kind of like when you try to stop on ice or snow. But it only happens when the wheel is turned in either direction, driving straight I don't notice any problem at all. While I was at the shop, I asked them to check the brake pads as well but they didn't report anything as needing to be replaced. Any idea what the problem might be?

I'm supposed to leave for a road trip to Florida tomorrow and I'm pulling a small 8' trailer with me too so of course I'd be having brake issues now :facepalm:
bearcat90
Cruiser

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by escapepilot » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Could the grinding sound be the ABS activating? Does this happen at speed or only when very slow?
escapepilot
Off-Roader

Name: Shannon
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by bearcat90 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:19 pm

escapepilot wrote:Could the grinding sound be the ABS activating? Does this happen at speed or only when very slow?

It happens at speed usually. I'd say about 25mph or over, roughly. For example, I noticed how bad this issue was on my way into work this morning (made the windy back roads I usually take even more interesting) but when I tried to re-create it in a parking lot here by doing a quick, short acceleration then turning and hitting the brakes at the same time I couldn't make it happen.
bearcat90
Cruiser

by PROSPHOTO » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:13 pm

I've been having the same issue (started a thread yesterday about it). Appears to be normal stabilitrac Activation due to the larger tire diameter and greater difference in speed around corners. My solution is disabling stabilitrac in dry weather... Hold the traction control button in for 5+ seconds.
-Mike
PROSPHOTO

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2006

by bearcat90 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:16 pm

PROSPHOTO wrote:I've been having the same issue (started a thread yesterday about it). Appears to be normal stabilitrac Activation due to the larger tire diameter and greater difference in speed around corners. My solution is disabling stabilitrac in dry weather... Hold the traction control button in for 5+ seconds.

I'll give that a shot on my ride home from work in a few hours. Thanks man!
bearcat90
Cruiser

by TBYODA » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Check the sensors on the hubs and there connection. I got a 08 and 32" mud tires's and haven't had any issues as either of you describe but I also don't take corners like I am in a race too. :lol: Also are your tire's evenly worn front the back and side to side?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by PROSPHOTO » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:59 pm

TBYODA wrote:Check the sensors on the hubs and there connection. I got a 08 and 32" mud tires's and haven't had any issues as either of you describe but I also don't take corners like I am in a race too. :lol: Also are your tire's evenly worn front the back and side to side?

I have new 32" Duratrac's with a recent alignment. That said, I've only experienced the activation when rapidly decelerating while pushing into a left turn... not on easy turning maneuvers.
-Mike
PROSPHOTO

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2006

by BC backroader » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Sounds like it could be a bad front hub. The grinding noise may be the bearings, under side stress while turning, and that could cause the anti-lock system to do strange things. Check both front hubs for noise/play while the front is jacked up.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Return to Truck Discussion