Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

"Two tone" trim removal??

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by oChaws » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:51 pm

So, I've been looking around to find anyone who has done this and or know about doing it and have had no luck. So I have an 08 Trailblazer. It's black in color with the silver trim at the wheel wells and bottoms of the doors as well as the front and rear bumper covers. I will attach pics. What I am wondering is if it is possible to remove all the silver trim along the wheel wells and under the doors? Is it all adhesive only? I was looking in the wheel well and it looks as if it's held on at the bottom with clips along the inside of the wheel well. I also saw that the trim is removable. So it's not just painted silver :lol: also I do know that I will have to paint or replace the bumpers with black ones :roll:

What I am looking for: An all black trailblazer.

Does anyone know anyone or know of a thread that this was covered in or have personal experience with this? Thanks:)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
oChaws
Cruiser

Name: Charles
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 am

Generally speaking, after the clips are removed GM uses double sided tape to attach the trim pieces to the body. Typically guys use some fishing line to cut through the glue between the body and trim (in a sawing/pulling motion, occasionally a plastic scraper is needed to get it started... Fishing line and plastic scraper keep you from damaging the paint) and then something like goo gone or another adhesive remover to peel off the remaining adhesive left on the body. It's easier to do on a hot summer day when it's softer, but you can have success with a heat gun or hair dryer too.
To get the bulk of what's left after the trim is removed use a finger or thumb to push on it and roll it up off the body, a glove can help keep you from getting blisters if your hands are callused up good.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Some heat an WD40 help get the adhesive off.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by oChaws » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 pm

Awesome guys!! Thanks!! I have read all about how to remove the stuff but have yet to hear about removing it specifically on a TB so I thought I'd ask!! Do you guys know anything about getting the bumper covers? I've seen them on some websites but I want them to be color matched. Not like an off black or primed cause I'm too lazy to paint lmao
oChaws
Cruiser

Name: Charles
Vehicle Year: 2008

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 pm

There's sellers on Ebay that sell them already matched, but you'll pay. I would paint them myself imo
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by Midnyteryder196 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:09 am

Im not for sure about removal of the wheel well trims, but the rocker covers are held on by a couple screws in the fender wells, and push pins on the bottom side, if you look up underneath you will see the holes for them. Remove the screws, then pop the pins on the underside, and the covers should come off.. i would recommend painting your self, even if its with the dupont rattle can paint. the paint code in on the rpo code list in your glove box. Get the code and your local autopart stores usually have some dupont paints that are a match to that code.. Ive body matched my rockers from the cheap gray plastic ones.. yours will be easier since they are smooth from being painted already. i also agree with jr on your bumper covers, paint them yourself too since yours will be more expensive than most being they the LT style bumpers..
GMTN Build Thread Here
Midnyteryder196
Cruiser

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:16 am

Midnyteryder196 wrote: i also agree with jr on your bumper covers, paint them yourself too since yours will be more expensive than most being they the LT style bumpers..

Are LTZ's the same as LT's? I know my nephew's LTZ doesn't have the same grill as mine.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by Midnyteryder196 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:23 am

Jrgunn5150 wrote:
Midnyteryder196 wrote: i also agree with jr on your bumper covers, paint them yourself too since yours will be more expensive than most being they the LT style bumpers..

Are LTZ's the same as LT's? I know my nephew's LTZ doesn't have the same grill as mine.

I honestly have never paid attention to any ltz before.. but the rear bumper is an 06+ LT bumper for sure, so i assume the front is too, and he has the half width grill, and the full headlights(they dont have the crossbar through them).
GMTN Build Thread Here
Midnyteryder196
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 am

Huh, I haven't paid attention much either, mine is an LT. My nephew has an LTZ, with the chrome bar through the headlights like most have.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by Midnyteryder196 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:27 am

what year is your nephews? they didnt start doing the half grill until 06.. all prior year lt, and ltz would have had the crossbar through the headlights.
GMTN Build Thread Here
Midnyteryder196
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:45 am

IDK, it's probably older, it's a POS, silly kid.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Return to Truck Discussion