Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hi-lift Jack Mount

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by TheHungriGerman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:16 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so here it is. I'm looking into getting a hi lift jack and I'm not sure where to mount it. Should I mount it on my bull bar on the front or just lay it in the trunk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
TheHungriGerman

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm not a big fan of laying stuff like that in the back, I've seen a small suitcase kill someone in a wreck that didn't look serious, a hi-lift would be worse. There's lots and lots of mounting options for baskets and bumpers and interiors. Just gotta pick a spot.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by mason10198 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:17 pm

I'd say it's a matter of opinion. ex, I don't really like the way it looks on the front guard, so I would find/build a way to mount it to the rail on my roof.

~Sent from Tapatalk for Android~
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TheHungriGerman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

My only concern is with mounting it outside is it getting exposed to the rain snow and mud

TheHungriGerman

by mason10198 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:04 pm

TheHungriGerman wrote:My only concern is with mounting it outside is it getting exposed to the rain snow and mud

if yours is powder coated then I wouldnt imagine it would hurt it at all

mason10198

by navigator » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Mine has some decent surface rust from sitting in the back even after oiling it on occasion. Make sure to practice with it before you actually need it. It can hurt you.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:38 am

mason10198 wrote:I'd say it's a matter of opinion. ex, I don't really like the way it looks on the front guard, so I would find/build a way to mount it to the rail on my roof.

Whachu tryin to say, homie?! Thems be fightin' words. Everyone really loves the loud rattling that can be heard by the lead vehicle when I'm bringing up the rear.

As far as it being outside: A) Powdercoating doesn't last long on the shaft after use just spray/scrub with some WD40 on occasion. B) Neoprene cover for the moving parts takes a lot of the wear & tear off the integral parts C) Keep the moving parts coated generously with wd40 D) Only have it mounted when you plan on going out.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by TheHungriGerman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:17 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:
mason10198 wrote:I'd say it's a matter of opinion. ex, I don't really like the way it looks on the front guard, so I would find/build a way to mount it to the rail on my roof.

Whachu tryin to say, homie?! Thems be fightin' words. Everyone really loves the loud rattling that can be heard by the lead vehicle when I'm bringing up the rear.

As far as it being outside: A) Powdercoating doesn't last long on the shaft after use just spray/scrub with some WD40 on occasion. B) Neoprene cover for the moving parts takes a lot of the wear & tear off the integral parts C) Keep the moving parts coated generously with wd40 D) Only have it mounted when you plan on going out.

I was waiting for you to chime in. Lol I'm probably going to mount it to my bull bar in the front until next summer when I pony up f or a roof basket. I'm prob gonna make a tune mount using 3 inch split ring pipe hangers neoprene shims and some all thread. Sorry 70 dollars for a tube mount from hi lift is nuts.

TheHungriGerman

by mason10198 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:37 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:

No fightin' words meant! haha, I actually think yours looks good with all the gear. Shows folks you've got the stuff to get out from between a rock and a hard place.
mason10198

by KingBird » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:35 am

Personally, I'd mount it in the back hatch area running diagonally across the driver's side rearmost window. Basically in the same spot they mounted the spare in the previous body style Bravadas and Jimmys
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TheHungriGerman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:39 am

I have to measure to see if a 4 foot would fit there.

TheHungriGerman

by KingBird » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 am

Good point, 4' may not fit. Sorry, I don't use hi-lifts, too many bad experiences on the farm with tractors. I'd still find a way to mount it inside though.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by mason10198 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 am

What about under the rear seats? I don't know the shape of a hi-lift very well so I'm not sure if it will fit, but I know I used to keep a 2.5in x 5ft steel pipe under there for wrench leverage.

mason10198

by KingBird » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:25 pm

Not sure, that's where I keep a small inverter, I didn't think anything else would fit, mount directly under the headliner? I'm just throwing out ideas.

My biggest concern with it being mounted outside the vehicle, is someone deciding they want it more than you. I realize that you'd only carry it when you were going wheeling, but things happen.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:51 pm

I don't think it will fit under the seats, but its possible that you could find the exact right spot.

Keep in mind, if you really want to use the hilift, you don't want it at the bottom of all your gear.

Mike, do you have a new bull bar than what is pictured in your avatar? I'm not sure that the low bumper bars are strong enough to hold the heavy hilift, especially on bumpy terrain.

As Bacon said, the neoprene covers are key. Spray the mechanism down with liquid wrench, then cover it up, and it will be fine for the next time you use it. I've had mine for years and store mine on my rear bumper (a better location, in my opinion).

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by v7guy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:05 pm

I can't lie, I have mine on the roof basket, drilled a bolt and slapped a lock on it. It won't stop a thief, but it ought to keep an honest man honest. I also can't say I ever have it covered, but I probably should. I take it down about twice a year and hose it down with some oil, seems to do the job.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:51 pm

I have had mine for nearly 20 years and while it sports a replacement handle...somehow lost when I loaned it out...and has a mild curve to it now. It has been stored outside for at least half that time and other than a spray of lubricant when it gets used a few times a year, it has needed no real maintenance or covers. I have mine bolted to the crossbars bolted to the factory rails up top, but would like to get it on the rear bumper at some point.

I keep thinking it has earned retirement and I would like a newer extreme one, but it has been so good to me over the years it just stays with me.

I would definitely not think the bull bar esp with the way those typically mount would be a good choice for you. You could att it to the rear floor rings to ensure some safety if that is not in your way.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to Truck Discussion