Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

The science behind CAIs

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:13 am

I got one but certainly dont want my filter in the raised area since it gets more crap in there than a regular hood.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by v7guy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:53 pm

Yeah, generally speaking if the cowl is open it's gonna get water at the base of the windshield and pour down on the motor. May make #3 and #4 coil pack angry if they don't seal up well... Hell, it happens with the stock hood LOL

Sticking an air filter there would probably be disagreeable unless the cowl was closed and it sealed up at the rear alright. Then it might help keep water from hitting it some, but then you're mostly just going to be pulling hot under hood air in from straight on top of the motor.

So in that case you're maybe helping keep water off the filter, but you're pulling in hotter air than even stock.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:11 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Seems pretty silly not to have some kind of box protecting the filter offroad.

--Altough I do think Fish relocated his filter more ot the rear of the engine bay and that would give it some protection if you wanted open for HAI.

I ended up putting the airbox assembly back on as I was having trouble sealing around the IAT sensor. Also keep in mind I didn't have a MAF.

If I was doing it again I'd install an inner fender liner back into the right side fender and pull air from there. About as protected as you can get without a snorkel or routing inside the cab.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Previous

Return to Truck Discussion