Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front end vibration/noise

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by vaTBguy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:58 pm

My TB has an unnerving vibration coming from the front end. It can be felt through the floorboards and at highway speeds the steering wheel gets a little shaky. Also a slight metallic noise can be heard when passing jersey walls or other similar things that echo. Last weekend I rebuilt the disco which was toasted and new cv axle on passenger side, nice to have 4wd back! Both hubs have been removed and inspected, they are fine. Anyone have any ideas where I should look next?
vaTBguy
Cruiser

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by tarsh » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Motor mounts tend to be the fix for the vibration. Are your dust shields still on? Those tend to rust and warp and rub
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder

by navigator » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:55 pm

Is the vibration onnly when moving? How many miles? I would first rotate tires and see if it changes it to the rear, then rule out ball joints and tie rod ends. Also, I have been through a few sets of wheel bearings and don't recall any vibration, just a roar like mud tires more than anything else. Honestly when i swapped the first set out I wasn't sure they were even the cause of the noise. Mine seemed surprisingly smooth when they started roaring., more like the grease was a little thick or something.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by vaTBguy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes vibration is only when moving, its an 04 w 225 k. The balls joints are fairly new moogs and appear to be in good shape. Tomorrow I'll rotate tires and give the motor mounts a look. It also has the same mud tire roar that you mentioned with the vibration.
vaTBguy
Cruiser

by vaTBguy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:08 pm

However steering in either direction has no effect on it
vaTBguy
Cruiser

by Trail X » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 am

I think I know that slight metallic noise that you can barely hear except when driving past a barrier. I have been having a hard time identifying the source of mine too (although I haven't looked too hard yet). I had a similar noise before, and it turned out to be bad wear in the exterior bearing of the disconnect. You might want to check that just to be sure that the CV and the bearing are marrying up well. There should only be a 1/16" of play at that joint if everything is copacetic.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by vaTBguy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am

The roar is concerning me also, I'm hoping the differential isn't going bye bye.
vaTBguy
Cruiser

by vaTBguy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Lesson learned, just because the hubs feel smooth in your hands when you turn them doesn't mean they are good. Replaced left side and good to go. Have replaced them twice before and they felt like sand was in the bearings, not this time. Thanks guys
vaTBguy
Cruiser

by navigator » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm

Yeah, with better hubs it seems to me less noticeable off the truck. My OEM ones seemed flawless whereas my eBay replacemets were more noticeable. I think the cheap aftermarket ones just go downhill at a much faster rate. I expect there various degrees of quality with the aftmarket ones. I think Kyle found an eBay vendor with a 2yr warranty or something that has been good to him.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to Truck Discussion