Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

2003 LTZ to get SAS'd

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by DirtRidinZ71 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:07 am

A little back history. I own a 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS (4.2L, 3.73, G80) that the better half drives daily. Added a 2" rough country leveling kit and some 245/75R16's, other then that it is stock

My toy is a 1992 GMC RCSB K1500 (350, 700R4, NP241) that I have had and worked on for 10 years. It has been SAS'd (10" lift, 79 Ford D60, 10.25 Sterling, 5.38 gears, 38x15 boggers, 52/63" springs)and shorted 10" to a K5 wheelbase (108")

With our little girl getting older and just loves going in "dada's big truck" and exploring the woods roads around our hunting camp, the regular cab not cutting it for any family adventures. A change is needed.
DirtRidinZ71
Cruiser

Name: Scott
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DirtRidinZ71 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:18 am

So it was a toss up between another GMT400 SUV and able to reuse the abundance of my parts, but they getting very hard to find not rusted out without costing a arm and leg or another TrailBlazer to share parts with the 05.
Last week I found this 03 LTZ (4.2L, 3.73, G80) and bought it for $1000 and drove it home.

It has 255,000km and has a few cosmetic and mechanical issues, the hood and rear hatch has some rust issues, but rest of the body/frame is solid, especially for a eastern Canada vechicle.

Mechanically the 4wd does not engage (not worried its all getting tore out), speedometer does not work (thinking its the cluster as fuel mileage calculator is working), CD player must have a CD jammed in it, with the fuse in it constantly makes sounds and when turned on it displays "Check CD Player". Also it is straving for power, the engine runs smooth but just feels choked off, driving it almost feel like the brakes are sticking and in park it struggles to rev past 2500rpm with a slight flutter around 2000. I havent yet hooked my hand held scan tool up but the SES light is not on.
DirtRidinZ71
Cruiser

by DirtRidinZ71 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:24 am

The plan is to get the 03 TB running properly, put some miles on it to ensure it will hold together and then come winter take the axles, springs, tires and tcase and put under the 03. End goal is to have it done by spring, road legal and reliable, going for the same height/look as dirty anton's rig.
So far all I have managed to do is clean out the inside and remove the floor boards.

Any thoughts or input on the few issues is has would be a great help!
Thanks
DirtRidinZ71
Cruiser

by Diacom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Do a compression test and see if there are any issues there as well as backpressure on the exhaust system. You may have a plugged up converter if it idles well, but lacks power otherwise.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Jrgunn5150 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I'd check the fuel pressure and probably change the filter, seems like a delivery issue
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:09 am

It doesn't sound like you're a Newbie who needs help diagnosing a lack of power. I think you're onto something looking at Antons build. I would also look at ChevyCrews build. They are both awesome guys and would probably answer questions if you PM them.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DirtRidinZ71 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:42 pm

I got a few extra minutes today to check the air intake to make sure no critters had called it home for the winter (local buy and new it had been sitting in a snow bank most of the winter), all was clear and the air filter recently changed.
Next was to the throttle body for a much needed cleaning but still no improvement on the lack of power. No codes showed on my hand held scanner and nothing out of the norm in the live data. There is a distint stumble/sputter around 2000rpm when in neutral.
Hopefully tomorrow I can pick up a fuel filter and a fuel pressure gauge. After that the next step is to dig out the sawzall and remove the cat. (I plan to remove it anyhow and retune the pcm at a later date).
If still no success then it will be time to pull the plugs and check some compression numbers.

I have read through both Antons and ChevyCrews builds, they are a big reason why I went with a TB to put my axles under, plus it makes the parts pile much easier with the DD being a TrailBlazer too. I'm sure when it comes time I will havea a few questions, are they both still active on the forum here?
DirtRidinZ71
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Are you planning to do leaves or links?

I do believe Anton still posts regularly
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:01 pm

I've had luck pulling the O2 before the cat to diagnose a plugged cat. Probably had 80% of the power loss recovered with the O2 socket open. Probably less labor than cutting, gutting, and welding. (done that too)
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DirtRidinZ71 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:20 pm

It will be leaf sprung, using the current leaf springs under my truck. Stock GM 52" up front and 63" out back

ErikSS wrote:I've had luck pulling the O2 before the cat to diagnose a plugged cat. Probably had 80% of the power loss recovered with the O2 socket open. Probably less labor than cutting, gutting, and welding. (done that too)

With the rust we have it is normally much easier to cut the exhaust off. I think the exhaust manifold has been changed not to long ago the previous owner said so maybe the o2 sensor will come out without much grief. If not then the cat will get cut out and some flex pipe clamped in place as a temp fix. It will have have to be pulled out at some point anyways.
The o2 sensor in my 05 needed replaced and started off as one of those easy jobs that ended with many swear words late into the night :facepalm:
DirtRidinZ71
Cruiser

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Good to see ya over here and it should be a nice project for you.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DirtRidinZ71 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:38 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Good to see ya over here and it should be a nice project for you.

Yeah i thought I would get some more input and info over here.

Today was to cold but I did manage to get the fuel filter off, some dirt and crud did come out if it. I'll grab a new one tomorrow and see if that helps.
DirtRidinZ71
Cruiser

Return to Truck Discussion