Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

performance mods

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:50 am

Or send your PCM in with a sheet to get it tuned to your specifications and slap it back in after with a bit more simplicity. Truck is down a couple days, but avoids the chance of engine light and needing tech tool programming.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Shdwdrgn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm

I wonder if they just automatically remove the torque management now? I can't believe a single person who requested a tune has ever said "yes please, leave it in there"...

One thing I've not seen on any of the tune sheets is adjusting throttle speed. Stock, the throttle opens and closes very slowly, but you can adjust that speed to compromise between responsiveness and mileage. There's also DFCO, which could theoretically help with mileage without cutting into performance, but I've never been able to find a good set of values that don't result in a very obvious 'bump' when it kicks in. Of course that may indicate that the stock settings don't actually work?
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:I wonder if they just automatically remove the torque management now? I can't believe a single person who requested a tune has ever said "yes please, leave it in there"...

One thing I've not seen on any of the tune sheets is adjusting throttle speed. Stock, the throttle opens and closes very slowly, but you can adjust that speed to compromise between responsiveness and mileage. There's also DFCO, which could theoretically help with mileage without cutting into performance, but I've never been able to find a good set of values that don't result in a very obvious 'bump' when it kicks in. Of course that may indicate that the stock settings don't actually work?

No kidding lol. However, from what I've read, they do shift pretty sloppy when eliminated altogether without VB mods.

I've never felt the DFCO in my TB now that you mention it, although I have felt it in C5's, a GTO, and a Silverado. I'm not sure how much mileage you'd gain, but it could help with engine braking on downhills for sure.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by Shdwdrgn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:37 pm

When I've adjusted the DFCO settings on mine, you definitely know when it kicks in and out, typically when coasting a distance before a turn. When I tried watching the numbers in the scanner with the stock settings, it didn't appear that the engine ever reached those parameters. It would have been nice if they had ramped the change-over, rather than what feels like a hard cutoff of the fuel.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Yeah it's always been noticeable to me. I think it's a hard cutoff to prevent a lean condition though.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by flap00 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Right. PCM For Less is now called PCM Of NC.
flap00
Cruiser

Name: Flap
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Previous

Return to Truck Discussion