Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Fiberglass Fender Flares - In Development

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

Please choose your preferences.

Smooth Style Flares - 1 inch
3%
Smooth Style Flares - 1.5 inch
10%
Smooth Style Flares - 2 inch
17%
CutOut Style Flares - 1.5 inches
14%
CutOut Style Flares - 2 inches
34%
CutOut Style Flares - 2.5 inches
21%

Total votes : 29

by Diacom » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 pm

How different is the Colorado/Canyon front fender from that of a TB or Envoy? I realize the rear wouldn't work at all, but if the front is similar then the Bushwacker set could be used up front.

There is also a post on Trailvoy about the jeep style being something that was close but not quite. If your going to cut the fender anyways does it matter? I posted there about how close the front was to fitting from the jeep, but only got refered to this site for this post.

I've checked with our local salvage yard for both a Colorado or Cherokee fender flare set but had no luck to see how they would compare to that of a TB. From the install pdf on the cut outs for the Cherokee, it would take some modification of the Bushwacker flares to make them work, which may be moot if the fender opening isn't close.

I don't get to town often with the TB to be able to pull up next to another vehicle to compare wheel openings to see if there is any chance of having another platform part work.

Myself, I would prefer the pocket cutout style, atleast for the front and the matching "look" for the rear, maybe with the option of opening up the fender and getting adjustable arms for the rear to clear larger tires later on.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 pm

The pocket make sense for the front... easy to do even... the rear is a different story, can't just cut the fender and door.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by MrSmithsTB » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Check these out:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1996/jeep/cherokee/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/fender_flares.html

These will be a great fit for the guys that aren't afraid to do a little cutting. Even through they are a 5" extension(which is big for some), the rears are two piece and the lines are very close.

The 1997 Grand Cherokee flares should work as well:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1997/jeep/grand_cherokee/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/fender_flares.html

They are only a 2" overhang, but may require a bit more modification. Either way, I think it is probably going to be the best bang for the buck. Fiberglass will probably be comparable in price if not more expensive, and these are far more durable.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Diacom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Diacom wrote:There is also a post on Trailvoy about the jeep style being something that was close but not quite. If your going to cut the fender anyways does it matter? I posted there about how close the front was to fitting from the jeep, but only got refered to this site for this post.

I've checked with our local salvage yard for both a Colorado or Cherokee fender flare set but had no luck to see how they would compare to that of a TB. From the install pdf on the cut outs for the Cherokee, it would take some modification of the Bushwacker flares to make them work, which may be moot if the fender opening isn't close.

MrSmithsTB wrote:Check these out:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1996/jeep/cherokee/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/fender_flares.html

These will be a great fit for the guys that aren't afraid to do a little cutting. Even through they are a 5" extension(which is big for some), the rears are two piece and the lines are very close.

The 1997 Grand Cherokee flares should work as well:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1997/jeep/grand_cherokee/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/fender_flares.html

They are only a 2" overhang, but may require a bit more modification. Either way, I think it is probably going to be the best bang for the buck. Fiberglass will probably be comparable in price if not more expensive, and these are far more durable.

Yeah, pretty much what I was talking about already....
Diacom
Addict

by MrSmithsTB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Managed to park myself next to a cherokee with these flares at the store last night. These are going to be about as close as we can get without doing a full on custom set. Based on the research and pricing I've done, these are going to be probably the most affordable with the least amount of work. Another option would be using Jeep takeoffs and modifying them, but that would ultimately leave the finished product a little more hacked than these.

I don't want to say the custom project is trashed, but these are a better option at this time.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by Diacom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am

So do you think they would be pretty much a direct bolt on for the front and just trim the fender to match? I think with the rear being a 3 piece design it will be interesting to make them work if at all, but I figure if the junkyard will surrender a set of stock type, atleast I could see how much would need to be changed to get them to work in the first place.
Diacom
Addict

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 am

Diacom wrote:So do you think they would be pretty much a direct bolt on for the front and just trim the fender to match? I think with the rear being a 3 piece design it will be interesting to make them work if at all, but I figure if the junkyard will surrender a set of stock type, atleast I could see how much would need to be changed to get them to work in the first place.

Front and rear will both work. Our door has a slightly longer arch, but that is a good thing as it will eliminate the need to cut. The angle in the back looks very similar, which means we could probably get away with only cutting the bumper and not hacking in to the quarter panel. Fronts are an easy trim and bolt up.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by Rob93 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Sounds like we need a guinea pig
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Gordinho80 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm

What year and model Jeep are we talking about again?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:14 pm

96-98 grand cherokee for the 2.5" flares and 95-99 cherokee sport for the 4.5" flares. Both flares are very similar in size and are very adaptable.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Previous

Return to Truck Discussion