Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Temp Gauge Question

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by HuskyWagon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:53 am

photo 2.JPG
My '05 TB non EXT is starting to show signs of needing maintenance. I am more than happy to put in manual labor to keep it on the road as we haven't had any big issues with it to date. Has a touch over 116k on the odometer and the temp gauge seems to have just completely broken (pic was taken in my driveway in mid 50' weather at night) How complex is it to pull the dash apart and change what I am assuming is a bad relay or gear..? Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
HuskyWagon

Name: Dan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 am

Probably a bad stepper motor, or possibly a bad sending unit. Do you have a scangauge or other obdii computer where you can look up the water temperature value that the computer is seeing? Does the water temp gauge sweep back to low temperature when you start your vehicle, during the lamp test?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HuskyWagon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:34 am

I do not have a Scantool at my disposal. I would assume that it would be the "stepper motor" as the needle does not sweep left and return to low temperature during the lamp test you've described.
Side note - the speedo had developed a "sticking" issue where it stops a fluid sweep during acceleration and sticks to a speed then jumps to a new speed.
Example: sticks at 60 for a few seconds then jumps to 65 and continues sweeping smoothly to 70.
Would I be correct in thinking this issue would also be a stepper motor? Is it best practice to replace them all since I will have to open the dash anyways?
HuskyWagon

Name: Dan
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:48 am

I am not super familiar with the stepper motors, but yes, both of your issues sound like stepper related issues, in particular the speedometer issue. The temp needle could also be a lost connection somewhere in the dash. I think you'll find more information about the stepper motors on GMTNation.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBYODA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Trail X wrote:I am not super familiar with the stepper motors, but yes, both of your issues sound like stepper related issues, in particular the speedometer issue. The temp needle could also be a lost connection somewhere in the dash. I think you'll find more information about the stepper motors on GMTNation.

:Iagree: ton's of info on our sister site on the 360 platform. IIRC most replace all of them because the level of Difficulty is Moderate to Difficult

Link to HOW TO Articles on GMTNATION

Get out your screwdriver & soldering iron. :cheers:
How to change a stepper motor
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Eredin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:29 am

Stepper motors are super cheap. Easy to find on Amazon in packages to replace all of them.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Truck Discussion