Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Transmission shudder in overdrive

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by Ole Blue » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Right off the back if there's a thread or topic already that talked about this, I apologize. Last year I changed my transmission fluid with the deeper pan with a drain plug with the longer filter. Not too long after that I added a aux trans cooler. But just last weekend while I'm in overdrive on the highway going 60 the transmission to seem to jump in and out of overdrive. Since them I've had the lock up solenoid changes with fresh fluid and new filter, no help. I forgot who it was but ice seem a thread where some just did the shift kit and there problem went away. I just hit 170xxx so can't complain. I'm think of a rebuild kit or a new assembly from monster transmissions or should I try the shift kit? Any suggestions?
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

Name: Cedd
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 am

I'd give the shift kit a shot first, they sometimes fix the shudder from my reading, the odds are the separator plate is pounded to shit too and you're likely leaking a fair amount of fluid around the holes. That in itself could cause some problems. For the difference in price between a rebuild and a shift kit it makes sense to give it a shot.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Ole Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:40 pm

v7guy wrote:I'd give the shift kit a shot first, they sometimes fix the shudder from my reading, the odds are the separator plate is pounded to shit too and you're likely leaking a fair amount of fluid around the holes. That in itself could cause some problems. For the difference in price between a rebuild and a shift kit it makes sense to give it a shot.

Yeah I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. I was looking at B&m's improve shift kit or Oregon's performance shift kit.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by Ole Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:42 pm

v7guy wrote:I'd give the shift kit a shot first, they sometimes fix the shudder from my reading, the odds are the separator plate is pounded to shit too and you're likely leaking a fair amount of fluid around the holes. That in itself could cause some problems. For the difference in price between a rebuild and a shift kit it makes sense to give it a shot.

I was thinking of trying B&m's or Oregon's shift kit.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by AA1PR » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:46 pm

is it related to torque converter lock up?

when this happens slightly depress the brake pedal & see if it goes away
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I don't know if those kits fix it, but I do known the transgo does. It fixed mine.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3022
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Ole Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:47 pm

AA1PR wrote:is it related to torque converter lock up?

when this happens slightly depress the brake pedal & see if it goes away

I recently had the lock up solenoid changed but didn't help but ill try the brake pedal tonight. I'll keep you updated. But would the the trans lock up if the torque converter is bad?
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by Ole Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Trail X wrote:I don't know if those kits fix it, but I do known the transgo does. It fixed mine.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3022

I'll look into it thanks. Also I think I read your post about you doing it and going away.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by JMHinAZ » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:59 am

I'll second the Transgo shift kit. Based on my symptoms, James descriptions and results with the kit as well as my successful results with it. Do the brake tap test to see if it momentarily stops the flutter. I'll also throw in that this was the first time I had ever cracked the case on any transmission. worth a shot.
JMHinAZ
Cruiser

Name: Joe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NC_IslandRunner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:30 am

I noticed a great improvement after the transgo.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Ole Blue » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:03 pm

So did the brake tap test last night on the hwy going 55mph, I could the transmission kick down to 4th but no hard bump. I'll orders a transgo kit from oregon performance this weekend, it's only $50 but doesn't come with a separator plate.
www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/m ... RG-SK4L60E

Should order I also get any servo kits or accumulators while I'm down there or just to see if this even fixes the problem.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by Trail X » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:20 pm

Not saying you shouldn't order the kit, but I'm not sure you understood what you were supposed to be looking for.

You need to get the truck in a situation where you're getting the shudder. Once you feel the shudder, keep your accelerator where it is, and with your left foot, tap the brakes just enough to light up the brake lights, but not slow you down. You're not looking for a hard bump or anything, you're just looking to see if after you tap the brakes the shudder is no longer present.

If immediately after you press the brake pedal the shudder goes away, you likely have a bypassing isolator converter valve, which makes the TCC flutter. The transgo kit should fix this.

Alternatively, if immediately after you press the brake pedal, the shudder is still present, then it is something else.

The PCM unlocks the TCC after the brakes are pressed, which is why this test works.
Trail X
Founder

by Ole Blue » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll get on it.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:12 pm

I suggest you buy the separator plate. Mine was already pounded at 70k
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

Name: Calvin
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Ole Blue » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Trail X wrote:Not saying you shouldn't order the kit, but I'm not sure you understood what you were supposed to be looking for.

You need to get the truck in a situation where you're getting the shudder. Once you feel the shudder, keep your accelerator where it is, and with your left foot, tap the brakes just enough to light up the brake lights, but not slow you down. You're not looking for a hard bump or anything, you're just looking to see if after you tap the brakes the shudder is no longer present.

If immediately after you press the brake pedal the shudder goes away, you likely have a bypassing isolator converter valve, which makes the TCC flutter. The transgo kit should fix this.

Alternatively, if immediately after you press the brake pedal, the shudder is still present, then it is something else.

The PCM unlocks the TCC after the brakes are pressed, which is why this test works.

So for the past few days I've been trying to do the brake test but it shudder isn't consistent and doesn't last long enough were I can tell if the brakes are helping or not. I will say that it is getting a little better. I looked on another gm forum and one guy said he bought a new transmission and still had the problem. Come to find out it was one dirt fuel injector. I looked at my fuel filter and man is it nasty with dirt and gas residue around it.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by Ole Blue » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:20 pm

c0a8l0v6i8n9 wrote:I suggest you buy the separator plate. Mine was already pounded at 70k

Yeah I was thinking the same, can't hurt.
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by Trail X » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Ole Blue wrote:
So for the past few days I've been trying to do the brake test but it shudder isn't consistent and doesn't last long enough were I can tell if the brakes are helping or not. I will say that it is getting a little better. I looked on another gm forum and one guy said he bought a new transmission and still had the problem. Come to find out it was one dirt fuel injector. I looked at my fuel filter and man is it nasty with dirt and gas residue around it.

That's why the brake test is so important, it could be other things, we don't want you to have to go in the trans without a real good reason.
Trail X
Founder

by Ole Blue » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 am

Trail X wrote:
Ole Blue wrote:

That's why the brake test is so important, it could be other things, we don't want you to have to go in the trans without a real good reason.

Could be the fuel filter and fuel system clogged a little? Either I'm changing the filter the filter this weekend, I've been running marvel mystery oil every other fill up for the past three years. But beside that, any other suggestions? Save for rebuild, upgrade to 4l80, or try the shift kit and new separator plate?
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

by v7guy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:24 pm

I woulda figured with an 02 you'd already replaced the fuel filter.

I wouldn't rebuild unless it was trashed. But that's just me. If you do rebuild it's not much to swap out the parts to 4L65 or even 4L80 parts. http://www.4l60-e.com/
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Ole Blue » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 pm

v7guy wrote:I woulda figured with an 02 you'd already replaced the fuel filter.

I wouldn't rebuild unless it was trashed. But that's just me. If you do rebuild it's not much to swap out the parts to 4L65 or even 4L80 parts. http://www.4l60-e.com/

I was looking at some of these transmissions.

https://www.monstertransmission.com/mob ... Cat_4041_1
Ole Blue
Off-Roader

Next

Return to Truck Discussion