Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Alternator wine

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by BamaTB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm

So I changed the thermostat on the old TB and with the new belt I'm getting a grinding/whining noise from my truck now. Do any of u guys know what i would need to change out those bearings and or the pulley? And anything on the idler pulley? I dont know if i can just use standard tools or what. Thanks for any and a input.

Logan
BamaTB

Name: Logan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Moots1288 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:58 pm

BamaTB wrote:So I changed the thermostat on the old TB and with the new belt I'm getting a grinding/whining noise from my truck now. Do any of u guys know what i would need to change out those bearings and or the pulley? And anything on the idler pulley? I dont know if i can just use standard tools or what. Thanks for any and a input.

You shouldn't have the title alternator whine because most likely it is not. I'd start with the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley, two easy swaps. Could be the bearings in those two, and they bolt just require a 15mm socket. Then you can look at the ac compressor bearing.
Logan
Last edited by DirtyBacon04 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: seperated quote from reply
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Moots1288 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:59 pm

My reply was weird sorry about that stupid phone. You can take the belt off and spin each pulley and see if you hear grinding.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by BC backroader » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:35 pm

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. With the hood up, it seemed to be coming from the alt, but once the belt was off, it was obviously the idler pulley, as it had a terrible grinding noise when I trieed to spin it. It's a cheap part, about $40, and can save you a ton of grief if you get it fixed before it fails, as the belt can do a lot of damage if it flies off the seized pulley. :o
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by BamaTB » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for the input, that snapped belt scenario is exactly what I am thinking on haha. Anyways, thanks guys. Also, even after putting on the new thermostat (last was stuck open) I'm still getting code p0128 or whatever. When I hit highway speed my temp gauge begins to drop quickly but erratically. (Down then wobbles back up then down again) anyone know what would cause this?
BamaTB

Name: Logan

by v7guy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 am

bad replacement thermostat, bad temp sender.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by BC backroader » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:33 pm

I agree with v7guy, but will add bad water pump to the list. Worn or broken blades in the pump could give you erratic water flow, and possibly the noise you're hearing, too. Check it out when you've got the belt off.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Truck Discussion