Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tough thing to have to do. (long post)

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by bobbyblaze » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I hate to be writing this post. Not what I wanted to be doing and a hard decision to make.
I have owned my TB for 15 months now. Bought it around 27000 miles and now has only 43000 miles. During that time, I have had repair after repair. It was in the shop every 6 weeks for something. To date, There has been well over $3000. worth of repairs in 26000 miles.

Gas filler neck assembly replaced
PCM replaced
Front drive shaft seal
Inner CV boots
Driver side mirror assembly
Entire Sunroof assemby
Front bumper cover replaced (wavy facia)
new fan clutch

All four brake rotors are pitted a good bit but not enough for the dealership to replace them when it was under warranty. I recently took the fronts off to have them cut and replace the pads. The machine shop said they would be too thin after cutting them. I also had to replace the rear brake pads so I took the rear rotors to have them cut. I also got the too thin to cut. After going through this I went to the dealer with a few questions. This is what I got back: The front rotors on the TB are only to be cut once which was done before I bought the truck. The rear rotors are one time use. GM says the rear rotors are not meant to be cut. One and done. WOW, 4 rotors and pads at 44000. Not happy but it is what it is.

I have been having some trans issues for a little while. Noticeable hesitation between gears. Most notable between 2nd and 3rd. Came out of nowhere. Then I started to hear an on and off buzzing coming from the trans by the torque converter underneath. Took it to be looked (listened) at the dealer. I was told that the trans fluid pump behind the torque converter is going bad. Will probably cost over $2000. The noise has since gotten more frequent since.

The tough thing i had to do was to make a decision on wether to suck it up and deal with the bill or move on. If my TB wasn't a problematic vehicle and this came along, I would rebuild my brakes and have the trans fixed, but considering everything that has gone on with this I couldn't get past my 13mpg average and the 'lemon factor'.

I have been crazy busy last week or two researching and tracking down a new 4X4 truck. Weighing out ratings with reliability, off road ability, fuel econ and utility.

What I found is a 2 door Nissan Frontier 4X4 king cab. 5 speed manual trans. No lockers but they are readily available and a not so future mod.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bobbyblaze » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Man, that last post was long. :coffee:
I just want to say that I met a bunch of good people here and the OS.

I'm still gonna be wheeling with some of the guys during non offroadtb/trailvoy runs. I put my tb back to stock for trade so I will be posting a bunch of goodies in the classified section here. Whatever is left goes over to the OS classifies.

I'm personally planning on making a trip to RCP sometime in Jan on a sat. I will post up here in case anyone wants to hit the park.

My truck wheelbase is almost the same as the tb and stock height is almost the same as my tb lifted so if I don't have a lift kit on by RCP, I should be able to hang with all you lifted guys. Only thing that sux is my departure angle without lift.
Attachments
Flowsm.jpg
(64.04 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Philberto » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:18 pm

We'll certainly miss you. Remember to stop in every once in a while. :salut:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other

by teebes » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Bummer dude, sorry to hear about the trouble. :friday:

So, looking into a warranty this time around? Guessing you had a shop/mechanic do the work for you at the dollar mark you mentioned.
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Something to bear in mind though:

Gas filler neck assembly replaced
PCM replaced
Front drive shaft seal
Inner CV boots
Driver side mirror assembly
Entire Sunroof assemby I've got no sunroof
Front bumper cover replaced (wavy facia) I've got no front bumper cover
new fan clutch I've got the 06+ updated fan clutch

There's something to be said for having no options and doing all the work yourself.
Philberto
Lifer

by foosh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:02 am

Well your welcome to come anytime we're out Wheeling, and please stay over here a bit, we'll still help you out with the new truck and congrats on making the hard choice. Hoping it works out for you man!
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004

by bobbyblaze » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:48 pm

teebes wrote:Bummer dude, sorry to hear about the trouble. :friday:

So, looking into a warranty this time around? Guessing you had a shop/mechanic do the work for you at the dollar mark you mentioned.

Yep. Got a 3 year powertrain warranty.
The majority of repairs on my TB were done while under the 12 month GM certified used warranty.

Hey Philberto, I would have done most of the work myself had it not been under warranty. The cv boots were probably because of the lift. I will own that one.
I still owed $6000 on the TB and wasn't interested in regularly pumping $$$ into her given her track record in such a short period of time. I unfortunately got a lemon. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Thanks guys. I will still be around. Wheelin' is wheelin' :safari: .
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Philberto » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:23 pm

Oh, I wasn't ragging on you for any of that. It definitely sounds like you had a decent amount of problems, and I'm very glad I haven't had a peep of trouble from my '06 with 60k on it... *knock on wood*. Good luck with the frontier. I hear good things about them.
Philberto
Lifer

by bobbyblaze » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Got some stuff for sale from the TB if anyone is interested. Gonna' be at the OS mid-atlantic meet at Wharton in jerzey this saturday with it. Gonna post this on the OS too.

Set of four Hankook ATM RF 10 245/75-R16 109T load range. Only drove 8000 miles on them. Agressive A/Ts They fit without spacers.
Avalanche springs
Lift kit for anyone lurking without :poke: 2.5 front, 1.5 rear. Kit is Smaxx with MarcMc spacer.
A stock intake (ready to be modded)
K&N air filter
My skull bowtie and blackout grill with ghost skull paintjob. and some trailvoy oriented audio stuff for aftermarket systems (antenna adapter and door chime adapter harness).
I have a moderately modded (cut up) black LS bumper cover for a spare. I swaped it out for wheelin days. Someone may be interested in that already.
The skid plate may be spoken for. If not it will be out on sat.

PM me if you're interested in anything.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Sorry to hear. I think you did make a good choice on your your new ride. I like those little trucks.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bobbyblaze » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:02 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Sorry to hear. I think you did make a good choice on your your new ride. I like those little trucks.

Thanks.
Little :lol: ? Maybe compared to a full size truck. Did you see the pic up the top of this thread with my new and old truck ? It sits little higher than my Tb did. Almost the exact same wheelbase too. I thing they are off by an inch or two. It's weird how close the dimensions are. Both trucks are stock in the pic. I did alot of research before choosing the Fronty. I'm happy so far.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by foosh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Glad your happy, now come wheel it next time we go out!

foosh
Addict

by MrSmithsTB » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Same wheel base? Cool. At least those sliders weren't a waste.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bobbyblaze » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:50 pm

foosh wrote:Glad your happy, now come wheel it next time we go out!

Not happy that I had to give up the TB But at least I'm not hating the new ride. I definetly will be hading out with you guys. :safari:
Just sucks that I will miss the 2010 ORTB North America Meet. Maybe I can go as the camera man or something :poke:
MrSmithsTB wrote:Same wheel base? Cool. At least those sliders weren't a waste.

The sliders have a few inches more room on my truck than the tb. I test fitted already. You are correct about the sliders not being a waste my good man :excited: . I don't have to weld them to the frame either . As luck would have it, the frame is set up for bolt on sliders with holes and nuts in the frame from the factory. Once I get the angles set and weld on the legs and gussets, I just have to drill out the holes and bolt them on.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by foosh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Very cool, I donno if nissian would have made it like that for sliders, more of nerf bars or side steps...

foosh
Addict

by bobbyblaze » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:55 pm

foosh wrote:Very cool, I donno if nissian would have made it like that for sliders, more of nerf bars or side steps...

I don't know either but I found aftermarket companies that make sliders for my truck that bolt there. That's where I got the idea from instead of welding to the frame. If I ever decide to do a body lift, I can cut the legs and re-weld new ones at a new angle without screwing with the frame again. I've seen Jeep wrangler aftremarket sliders that also bolt to the factory holes where the side steps bolt to. I can jump on my wrangler side steps with little deflection. The frame mounts arent' flexing, the step is. These trucks come from the factory with skid plates too. The more I go over the truck, the more I realize how off-road friendly these are. Still gonna need a locker to have real fun:rambo:
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by MrSmithsTB » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:10 pm

I am very excited for you!
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bobbyblaze » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:48 am

Anyone looking for A great set of barely used agressive ATtires ? I have my set of four HAnkook Dynapro ATM RF10 tires only have 8000 miles on them. Got me through Tecore II wihout getting stuck once.
245/75-16 Just cleares the steering knuckle. Great tires in wet weather too. Wicked tread left. My new truck came with 15" wheels and the stock tires on there are the equivalent size with a bunch of tread left on em'. Can't justify spending cash buy a set of 16" wheels.
Asking $300 but if anyone comes up with the cash this sat at the meet, $250. Shoot me a Pm and I will bring them with me.
Attachments
TBTIREsm.jpg
(80.69 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by foosh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:51 am

Sorry man, everyone i know is looking for 15's right now :evil: otherwise i'd be all over them... bring them anyways i'm sure someone would take them as a winter set.

foosh
Addict

by bobbyblaze » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:14 am

If I thought I could get enough for the 15" ATs I have on the truck now, I would rather use that cash to fund a new set of 16" wheels and keep my Hankooks. That's how much I like them. They're a great set or tires.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Return to Truck Discussion