Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by teebes » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:30 pm

A bunch of folks on a local board highly recommend these devices to prevent vehicle theft. Still want to check w/ my insurance co to see how much of a $$ break they might offer, too.

Anyone have one of these, or heard about them? Good, bad, recommend others? (Not that interested in tracking systems, btw).

Ravelco wrote:The Ravelco Anti Theft Device is installed in an easily accessible place under or flush mounted in the dashboard of your vehicle. A removable 16 pin male plug (which when not in use connects to your key chain) makes all the electronic connections. A hidden armored steel cable protects the wires from the rear of the RAVELCO base on through to the engine compartment where all the connections are made and camouflaged. When the plug is removed from the RAVELCO, it is impossible to start the vehicle. There are more than 100,000 different combinations. NO MASTER PLUGS. An impossible obstacle for even the most persistent thief.

http://www.ravelco.com/
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:35 pm

I've heard of this thing for a while now. Basically, they take a bunch of critical engine and other wires, splice them into this plug, and the "key" has any possible random sequence of jumpers that connects the wires. Seems simple, possibly effective, but of course if a thief wants your vehicle bad enough, they'll get it, given enough time. As far as tracking goes, I know you're not interested in a system, but I usually just leave my gps-enabled smartphone in the glovebox when I'm in the store or something, and it sends the info out in 5-minute intervals. Just bear in mind that even the ravelco won't protect your vehicle in the event of somebody with a tow dolly or tow truck... and yes, thieves do use those at times.

Now I've never known anybody who had one of these installed, so I can't speak to how much they are to put in, or how convenient/inconvenient the key is to carry. And I certainly can't imagine the amount of hassle if you lose the key.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:45 pm

My anti theft device
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Maybe I didn't look deep enough but how much?

Can you get a discount on Insurance? If not does it out way the premium insurance cost?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote:My anti theft device

eh, didn't stop them in Gone in 60 Seconds

bgwolfpack wrote:Maybe I didn't look deep enough but how much?

Can you get a discount on Insurance? If not does it out way the premium insurance cost?

Over a long enough time period, any ins. discount would outweigh the install and parts cost, but I just looked it up, and total cost including install is $469 or so... at least through my local dealer.
Philberto
Lifer

by Trail X » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Sounds like a PITA to install.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:08 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Sounds like a PITA to install.

James (Guys) PITA?

Philberto you don't go to a ------ dealer for nothin do you?

I like the snake idea Teebes. You might have a local resource for them. Cheap.

They are a good tool. They do have the respect of the good Insurance companies. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Hatchet669 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm

its been around for a long time... i have thought bout it... i would really like to see behind there... cause i think i know how it goes... but something just doesnt seem rite bout it to me...
Hatchet669
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joe
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Philberto » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Well apparently there is only one Ravelco dealer (have to go through a dealer for their lifetime warranty) for all of California, so not much choice there.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Philberto wrote:Well apparently there is only one Ravelco dealer (have to go through a dealer for their lifetime warranty) for all of California, so not much choice there.
So NoHotWire.com is a dealer installer company? That's not how the FAQs reads for them.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by The Roadie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:32 pm

I could hide a dozen cutoff switches camouflaged under your hood (easy if I just cover them with mud). The security of the Ravelco could be matched by your simply not changing state of some subset of the switches. If a crook found all dozen switches and flipped them, it still wouldn't let the car start. And how many crooks are bypassing the passlock system anyway?

I have three locks on my front door and I typically only lock two of 'em. Same idea.

I like the Roadiemobile's anti-theft system the best - make it so UGLY nobody wants it, and so DISTINCTIVE they can't sneak away with it like it's a ubiquitous grocery-getter.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Well Teebes maybe someday you will be just like Roadie. But untill then...? :coffee2:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Saxis » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:49 pm

A buddy of mine had a short and fried pretty much all the wiring in his old '78 Toyota Pickup. While we were rewiring it, we ran the fuel pump to a toggle switch hidden under the dash. The doors didn't lock and he always just left the keys in it. When he parked it, he'd just flip the switch. It'd drive about 100 yards before sputtering to a stop. If you didn't know about it, there was a good chance you'd never figure it out.

Most thieves won't stick around to steal a secure vehicle. Usually there's plenty of easier targets around.
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:55 pm

That's a good point Saxis.

If this system would make a sleep better at night Greg, then by all means use it. Plus I'd like to see how you work it into the off road theme. :safari:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by The Roadie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Well Teebes maybe someday you will be just like Roadie. But untill then...? :coffee2:
The Teebesmobile used to be UGLIER than mine, then he got that sexy bumper and new winch (mine was used) and the big crook attractant is the synthetic winch line. But he's got Speed, the Intrepid Guard Hound.
1.jpg
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by teebes » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:That's a good point Saxis.

If this system would make a sleep better at night Greg, then by all means use it. Plus I'd like to see how you work it into the off road theme. :safari:

Just think - long trips to far off lands :coffee2:

But more seriously, my truck spends most of it's life out on the street. Being only thirty some odd miles to Mexico, I'm rather surprised I haven't 'lost' one of my bikes and/or trucks yet.

Luckily, most of the criminals focus on Rubicons (and brand new, flashy sport bikes). Another plus for us :drive: :friday:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Philberto » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm

The Roadie wrote:The Teebesmobile used to be UGLIER than mine, then he got that sexy bumper and new winch (mine was used) and the big crook attractant is the synthetic winch line. But he's got Speed, the Intrepid Guard Hound.
1.jpg

Couldn't be as effective as Shelby, my Guard Shepherd :finger: Guess which pose is more menacing...
or

:lol:
Philberto
Lifer

Return to Truck Discussion