Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Trans went... Maybe... Help!

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by v7guy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:52 am

That's just the pump rotor, you can get em for 10 or 15 bucks. You can get a whole pump rebuild for under 50 bucks
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:44 am

I'd replace the whole pump section. The pump is lined with a special anti wear coating, and I've heard once the vanes get messed up, you might as well junk it. It looks like you can pick up a new pump for around $250.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by CHEVELLE598BB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:03 am

You can replace just the rotor and vanes as long as the surface of the pump isnt scored. Ive had a few pump failures where the rotor broke and I was able to reuse the pump housing each time. Lucky..... Also you may see how much to freshen the trans while it is out. Its cheap for me since I build them.
CHEVELLE598BB

Name: Jay
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by tarsh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:39 am

Not sure yet. I may just get another salvage trans and swop the pump/ parts . I'll dig around a bit. I just figured small Metel shavings in the the torque converter will mess it up to. So idk... Pump is bad and the torque converter could go. But the price for the two of them would cost more then just getting another salvage trans.
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder

by Regulator1175 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 am

Check out this video. You can pick up a rebuild kit off Ebay for a couple hundred dollars and just follow along with the video. It really is simple as long as you follow directions.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland

by v7guy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:16 am

I would suggest, like Matt is, that you look strongly at rebuilding it. The rebuild kits are cheap enough and you know you'll be good after it's done. At this point it's already out.

I've been down the path of swapping out motors I've blown with junkyard motors, and sometimes it works out, but sometimes what you replace it with from the junkyard lets go 4 months down the road and you basically end up right back where you started but with a lighter wallet. Unless you take apart the junkyard piece you're just rolling the dice, closing your eyes, and crossing your fingers... Of course if you're going to be taking apart the junkyard piece anyways why not just rebuild what you have... I learned the hard way you're usually better off rebuilding it yourself.
build thread

v7guy

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:59 am

v7guy wrote:I would suggest, like Matt is, that you look strongly at rebuilding it. The rebuild kits are cheap enough and you know you'll be good after it's done. At this point it's already out.

I've been down the path of swapping out motors I've blown with junkyard motors, and sometimes it works out, but sometimes what you replace it with from the junkyard lets go 4 months down the road and you basically end up right back where you started but with a lighter wallet. Unless you take apart the junkyard piece you're just rolling the dice, closing your eyes, and crossing your fingers... Of course if you're going to be taking apart the junkyard piece anyways why not just rebuild what you have... I learned the hard way you're usually better off rebuilding it yourself.

That right there is why my truck ended up with a brand new motor from GM, instead of a reman engine, or a junk yard engine. Like you, i had zero dollars to spend on anything at the time. And i decided the last thing i wanted to do was spend my last couple hundred bucks on a junkyard engine, and it be a POS.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by CHEVELLE598BB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 am

Yes since pump went a close look at the converter is needed. Usually when the pump goes the pump drive on the converter is trashed.

Now yes you can buy a rebuild kit on ebay but I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend purchasing locally or from a reputable online retailer like transmission parts USA. It would be around the same price and actually have customer service.

Now the 4l60e cannot be rebuilt with basic hand tools.
CHEVELLE598BB

by CHEVELLE598BB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 am

You need specialty tools such as a compressor, low piston press, heavy oitside snap ring pliers, bushing drivers, T50 star bit, clutch press, inch pound torque wrench and more. Just a heads up.
CHEVELLE598BB

by Regulator1175 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:51 pm

v7guy wrote:I would suggest, like Matt is, that you look strongly at rebuilding it. The rebuild kits are cheap enough and you know you'll be good after it's done. At this point it's already out.

That is exactly why I have extra transmissions in my garage. I went to the junk yard and picked one up for a few hundred bucks, slapped it in and got about 6 months out of it. I then swapped in the trans from my parts truck and that went real quick. That is what led to my frustration and the decision to rebuild it myself.

CHEVELLE598BB wrote:Yes since pump went a close look at the converter is needed. Usually when the pump goes the pump drive on the converter is trashed.

Now yes you can buy a rebuild kit on ebay but I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend purchasing locally or from a reputable online retailer like transmission parts USA. It would be around the same price and actually have customer service.

Now the 4l60e cannot be rebuilt with basic hand tools.

I have rebuilt twice now, and am doing a build for another members truck this week. I have managed just fine with hand tools. standard snap ring pliers work for the small rings and a long screwdriver for the big rings. An extra hand to lean on things to compress springs while removing/installing snap rings works well. You can pick up an inch pound torque wrench easily enough, and honestly it should be a standard tool in everyones box anyway.

Watch the video. He makes it very easy to follow along and specifically talks it through using standard garage tools and stays away from the specialty tools.

This is the rebuild kit I have used. I am very happy with the product and the customer service.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland

by CHEVELLE598BB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Yes you can get by with using most hand tools but the low piston is going to be almost impossible to get out without a press. There is almost no getting around having a bushing driver set. The bushings are so soft you will deform them trying to press them in with a socket. If you dont replace the bushings then youll be going back through the trans very quick. Those are the two that are required and you can make your own tools to get by on the other pistons and such. Atsg manual is also a priceless thing to have.
CHEVELLE598BB

by tarsh » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 pm

As it turns out I can get a new pump from Motown automotive for 98 bucks. So the plan is to just buy the new pump and just put the valve that was rebuilt into new one. Still have to wait till next week. The ol girl has Ben down wayyyy to long! Thanks for all your help guys!
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by TuckerJack » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:14 am

I was looking into (and still am) rebuilding my trans. I found a Borg Warner rebuild kit on Amazon for $75 with borg Warner friction clutches and steels. Just a heads up if you want.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The only good thing about having a Bachelors of Arts, is having BA behind your name
Tucker Johnson, BA
TuckerJack
Cruiser

Name: Tucker
Vehicle Year: 2006

by tarsh » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:56 pm

:excited: the trailblazer is up and running again!!! We did end up rebuilding the pump. All is good runs and drives as it should. So I of course had to take it to the trails! Started putzing around the field and noticed the temp was hot as shit! My damn fan clutch went out so I whipped in an e-fan wich surprisingly enough make the TB run cooler. Temped it in last night and really re mounted it today. I would like I thank you guys for your help and input.
image.jpg
and I have also discovered a lurker by me. He was out with me last night too.
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by TBYODA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 pm

What e-fan set up did you use? For future knowledge ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by tarsh » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Honestly dude. It's a big ass e-fan from a monster truck I acquired. I really just threw it in there. It's ugly as sin but it works... It's as big as our stock fan. And these no shrowed
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by ErikSS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:49 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by Cable810 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 pm

It happened he texted me pictures.
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Cable810 wrote:It happened he texted me pictures.

I'm not sure how pictures he texted you are going to help the rest of the Forum. Considering the cooling issues our trucks are known to have, all documented success stores are great!

Did you just put a toggle switch in the cab for turning it on and off?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by v7guy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:36 am

Cable810 wrote:It happened he texted me pictures.

build thread

v7guy

PreviousNext

Return to Truck Discussion