Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Colder Thermostat for 4.2

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by JHogg419 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 am

I have been searching for a colder thermostat for the 4.2L. I am not finding anything on the forum or the internet. Just to make sure, no one makes one at this point correct? :hmm:
'A “burro” is an ass, and a “burrow” is a hole in the ground, but your typical English-speaking person can’t tell one from the other.'
JHogg419

Name: Jarrod Hogg
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by djthumper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:33 am

You don't want a colder one. Your mileage will plunge.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by chevycrew » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:49 am

These newer engines are designed to run at a certain temperature for complete fuel combustion. Lower engine temps will hurt the combustion resulting in reduced fuel mileage. If you have cooling issues, then there are other areas that can be improved.
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2002

by v7guy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 am

The 4.2 doesn't benefit from a colder stat like the good ole SBC. The failure mode for our thermostat is to fail open, so you can get the effect by just putting in a shit thermostat, as it happens though, the result is abysmal gas mileage and no added power gain.

If you're looking for more power the intake and heads on the newer motors make a good bit more and there has been some good ole turbo setups. This isn't really the forum for that though. Our engines make plenty of power for our purposes. That's not to say 4-500hp isn't a hoot
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by JHogg419 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

I've been reading some about gas mileage. I see people say change their plugs, clean their TB and change the thermostat. I thought that is where they were going with that. Thanks guys. I have 3.42 gears in now and I am looking into what to do to do to replace them. I can't seem to figure out why I need the computer reflashed. I have replaced gears on older trucks with no issues. Still researching though. Thanks everyone.
'A “burro” is an ass, and a “burrow” is a hole in the ground, but your typical English-speaking person can’t tell one from the other.'
JHogg419

by DustinC1989 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 am

Speedometer correction, flashing the computer isn't required beyond that
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm

JHogg419 wrote:I've been reading some about gas mileage. I see people say change their plugs, clean their TB and change the thermostat. I thought that is where they were going with that. Thanks guys. I have 3.42 gears in now and I am looking into what to do to do to replace them. I can't seem to figure out why I need the computer reflashed. I have replaced gears on older trucks with no issues. Still researching though. Thanks everyone.

2005- TBs have three vehicle speed sensors. One is before the diff, on the drive shaft, two are on the front wheel hubs. They spin at different velocities, therefore the computer must know the diff ratio in order to understand that your front wheels aren't spinning at a different speed than the rear wheels.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 pm

JHogg419 wrote:I've been reading some about gas mileage. I see people say .... change the thermostat.......

Jason and Steve explained it, the reason folks change their Tstat is because they start failing open causing the engine to run cooler than it should. If your needle isn't straight up at 210 then you likely have a weak Tstat. The gauge is a dummy gauge and isn't an exact representation of temperature so the temp will be running a good bit cooler than it shows.

Changing the Tstat isn't as straightforward on our platform as most. Most folks change the sender at the same time because they are hard to get to.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by bgwolfpack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Think...Goldilocks Zone
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by JHogg419 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:45 pm

navigator wrote:
JHogg419 wrote:I've been reading some about gas mileage. I see people say .... change the thermostat.......

Jason and Steve explained it, the reason folks change their Tstat is because they start failing open causing the engine to run cooler than it should. If your needle isn't straight up at 210 then you likely have a weak Tstat. The gauge is a dummy gauge and isn't an exact representation of temperature so the temp will be running a good bit cooler than it shows.

Changing the Tstat isn't as straightforward on our platform as most. Most folks change the sender at the same time because they are hard to get to.

Yeah Mine is running straight up. Just trying to squeeze a little more out of it. I should just be happy I am getting average 15mpg. It is just bone stock 4.2L 3.42 4WD. I thought I should be getting better. As I read the Mileage Thread, it seems they are all over the place.

Jarrod
JHogg419

by navigator » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:03 pm

the thing that helps me most with my gas mileage is my scangauge II. Having it show my immediate MPG and AVG helps me modify my driving habits.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by onebigburb » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:29 pm

Bring old post back. You guys say there is no power to gain from lower t-stat and motors are designed to run what I consider hot. Now heres my questions in all of this. The t-stat was built in one unit so you couldn't change it affecting emissions stuff, however the old rule to thumb the more COLD air you can ram down an engines throat the more power you make. So if you have colder t-stat colder intake manifold = more power? So then there must be code somewhere in vcm for these trucks to want 200*ish on temp. shouldn't something like hp tuner be able to adjust that? Personally I could care less about emissions ( I live in no emission zone for a reason). My theory is if you machine the t-stat houseing out and install another t-stat that fits thats 180*ish. Do a vcm flash for it then there should be no negative reasults only positive colder engine & more power.
onebigburb
Cruiser

Name: cody
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Truck Discussion