Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Cabin air filter

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by teebes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:01 am

I know, I know.. We don't have one.. But I want one! I'm so tired of dust in the vehicle. It's getting really annoying.

I saw a post from our very own JamesDowning on the OS    TrailVoy Thread   , but it died like most of the others on the same subject.

Anyone have idea's how we could hack together a solution?

:flower: :salut:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:18 am

If only you wanted to dig in far enough... A filter could be placed over the hole between 4 and 8. That hole is directly over the blower fan. But I'm not sure if you want to dig that far in there unless you have to. You may also be able to get in there by just removing the blower, but even that is a PITA. I gave up for the time being, but it's still one of those "it'd be nice if" mods.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Gordinho80 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Seems like a lot of work.. but would be a pretty bad ass-mod...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:27 pm

JamesDowning wrote:

If only you wanted to dig in far enough... A filter could be placed over the hole between 4 and 8. That hole is directly over the blower fan. But I'm not sure if you want to dig that far in there unless you have to. You may also be able to get in there by just removing the blower, but even that is a PITA. I gave up for the time being, but it's still one of those "it'd be nice if" mods.

Glad to see you guys discussing this mod. If other than you did, a whole lot of "Roadie-rash" would be endured.

Unless I'm wrong, a filter could not be placed between #4 and #8 because of the door (flopper) which is moved by #42s actuator that controls air flow from outside to recirculation within the cabin. I do think however it may be possible to unbolt the unit, as an assembly, and place a filter in front of #2 between the unit and the firewall. Isn't #3 already a filter of some sort? If so there must be replacements or an upgrade available.

When in dusty locations why do you not use the recirculation of the cabins air? Remember my question is asked for I live with very little dust here. :)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm actually interested in this myself. It's not for bling - avoiding a sneeze on a shelf road with a 4000 foot dropoff is a functional desire.

But it's true that I often drive trails with the window down, even if it's dusty. Better to hear oncoming traffic on the narrow trails, and the birds, and so forth. What kills is when you slow down too quickly and your training dust cloud catches up and envelops you. Slowing down at a slow rate is best if you can arrange it.

Recirculation is the right workaround, and you can turn off the blower fan in recirculate mode to reduce infiltration. The shop manual is silent on the percentage of outside air that still is allowed in during recirculate mode, but IIRC most vehicles don't go below 10% make-up air. Otherwise you could kill your friends with chili farts. :poke:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by teebes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Glad to see you guys discussing this mod. If other than you did, a whole lot of "Roadie-rash" would be endured.

LOL :finger: :finger:

bgwolfpack wrote:When in dusty locations why do you not use the recirculation of the cabins air? Remember my question is asked for I live with very little dust here. :)

The recirculate button in my truck is flaky and stuff still makes it in regardless. I'm just over the dust buggers on long trips :hissyfit:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by The Roadie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:33 pm

teebes wrote:LOL :finger: :finger:
For innumerable considerations, financial and technical, including extracting my sorry ass on Wheeler Ridge and Bald Mountain, Teebes has a permanent exemption from any and all serious Roadie-hassling.

He's like James Wilson to my Greg House.

Wilson: "You can be a real jerk sometimes, you know that?"
House: "Yeah. And you're the good guy."
Wilson: "At least I try."
House: "As long as you're trying to be good, you can do whatever you want."
Wilson: "And as long as you're not trying, you can say whatever you want."
House: "So between us, we can do anything. We can rule the world!"
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by janesy86 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Hahaha... Roadie you crack me up all the time.

I agree tho a filter would be nice to have esp. since I work in a quarry. My TB is always muddy and inside all dusty, whatcha gunna do?
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

Return to Truck Discussion