Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

What did you do to your GMT today?

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by KingBird » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm

HawkeyeC25 wrote:Finally got the new decal on the back... tired of people asking if it's a duragno or a jeep :)

I hear that, I just tell them it's an Oldsmobile.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:27 am

Did a bit of hauling this weekend. The ole truck still enjoys putting in some work.

I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by KingBird » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:52 am

Well, this past weekend our local junkyard had an all you can carry event. Everything you can carry for ten yards, $80.

I loaded up on coils, an ecu, a/c compressor, windshield wiper motor and assembly, window regulators, and a few other odds and ends.

Since I've replaced the engine, and already have a spare tranny, all I really need are diffs geared 4.11 but they had none so c'est la vie.

Fast forward to last night, heading back to my place after dropping someone off after work and steam starts coming out of the hood on the passenger side. Yikes!

I pushed it into neutral and killed it then coasted to a stop across medians to the side of the frontage road.

At first I thought it was a faulty thermostat since my overflow tank was, well, overflowing. Turned out that the top tank on the radiator cracked.

Yay.

Called around town, located the parts and called my uncle for a ride.

Replaced the radiator on the side of the road.

Three hours from the time I shut it down until I fired her back up and motored to my place.

Not bad.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by ksucatz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:09 am

Diacom wrote:ksucatz,

Did you not have the extension available to order as well? I have the same RR and it fits quite well with the extension installed.

It was available, but I wasn't for sure if I wanted it. Now that I put it on, I do want it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
ksucatz

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD

by BC backroader » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Had my local shop mechanic, who has worked on my TB since I got it 3 years ago, remove, clean, and replace the throttle body today. I has made a difference in idle smoothness, but I haven't had it on the highway yet. The drive from his shop to my door is only 2 blocks, so no chance for a real road test yet.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Rickalicka18 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Been getting some maintenance done lately. Replaced steering rack, replaced tie rods, replaced front right wheel hub, replaced front left caliper, replace brake master cylinder (NEVER WANT TO BLEED BRAKES AGAIN), replaced right cv shaft, did some frame and suspension painting with POR-15, painted calipers and with silver POR-15 caliper paint, replaced rear driveshaft & packed with grease, changed front and rear differential fluid and topped it all off with an alignment... Was hoping to start rebuilding and gathering parts for the new rear differential, but now the rear wheel bearings are making noises so I'm going to have to replace those and the seals first :facepalm: ... Who needs money anyways lol
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by KingBird » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:01 am

Got this built so I could mount the winch.

IMG_20170813_180912199.jpg

We're gonna do some cool shit with the "wings" and armor for the rad and ps cooler, but I wanted the main structure finished up and mounted.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:27 pm

The Tb's been up on jack stands for about a month and a half but today she's finally back on the road. I had BOTH rear calipers start to stick which warped my rear rotors, so started with the calipers that I bought from autozone which was apparently a mistake because one of the caliper I got had a different bigger bleeder screw in it so I brought I back and they ordered me another one which had the right size bleeder screw in it (actually somehow got $4 back from them?). Then with that sorted out I had my rotors turned but they were warped really bad, like a constant scraping noise and it felt like I was driving my diesel when I let off the gas, so I got new rotors and now she rides a lot quieter and stops a lot quicker with the ext rotors up front. Bought some speed bleeders and the motive power bleeder to bleed my brakes with ease this time. Also got new taillights and FINALLY Got my newly painted passenger fender and passenger doors on. Just happy to be driving her again and have her support her own weight! :excited:
Attachments
IMG_1023.JPG
Dented doors and fender
IMG_1249.JPG
New doors and fender
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
Ext rotors and bracket
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Popped in the SS splined disco and a CV shaft from it as well, then put in a new upper ball joint on passenger side.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by DeviousPizzaGuy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Replaced the front bumper with an 02-05 LT Bumper, replaced headlights, added foglights and license plate bracket. Still need to find me a set of tow hooks.

20171025_155432.jpg
20171025_152553.jpg
DeviousPizzaGuy
Cruiser

Name: Derek J DeGroate

by BC backroader » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:42 pm

I cut a tire beyond repair on a logging road run last Sunday, so went to Canadian tire to buy a replacement. I was told that my tires, Motomaster AT2s, were discontinued, replaced by AT3s, much different tread pattern. The tire manager made some calls for me to other outlets of the chain, and found a store 50km away that still had some in stock, so I drove over there to check them out. Since they are discontinued, he had them on sale for less than 1/2 price, at $111 each, so I bought a full set of 4, giving me 4 brand new tires, plus 3 spares with at least 50% tread left. I should be good for many years now!

I've been hearing some thumps and squeaks from the front suspension when going over speed bumps and washboard on logging roads, so had it up on the lift at my local mechanic's yesterday, where it was found to be the swaybar end links, so he ordered new OEM ones for me, which are going in this afternoon. It'll be like new again. Part of the check up yesterday included a road test by the tech, and I was pleased to hear that he felt that the truck was very solid and smooth, other than the end link problem, of course.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by BC backroader » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 am

The shop had great fun getting the old end links out. I saw a torch, a huge pry bar, and lots of "colourful" language go into the effort today! The new ones are now in, and the speed bump clunks are gone, but my TREs and ball joints are getting a little loose, so they're next on the list, when I get a little cash together for the project. I know "ya gotta pay to play", but it would be nice to have a break from almost constant maintenance and repairs once in a while. Ah well, thanks for letting a cheap old fart rant a bit. ;-)
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Once every 5 years or so, I'll take the buffer to the ol' girl. Spent about 3 hours with a clay bar, rubbing compound, and polish.
Got er all shined up and ready for the next phase of her build. I replaced the amber lense on the passenger mirror which has been held on with electrical tape for at least 2 years. Took an inventory of burnt out lights on the interior and discovered that 5 of the 9 bulbs inside didn't work anymore. Went ahead and replaced them all with LEDs.
Front diff is leaking again and me thinks the bearings are going out. I'm thinking of purchasing a second diff so there's minimal down time.
Designing interior storage drawers/sleeping system which would allow me to reinstall one of the rear seats.
Would love to install an auxiliary fuel tank, but don't even know where to begin. My thinking was to put the aux fuel tank where the spare tire originally went.
Still saving up to build a big garage with small living quarters on a bunch of land :)
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

by BC backroader » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 pm

I like your plan for living arrangements, DB04, you've got your priorities right. ;-)
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:22 pm

I like your plans Bacon. Glad to see someone putting some time and effort into new horizons for the platform again!

As for an aux fuel tank, you should look at the tanks for racing vehicles, and you could make the output from that tank into the fuel neck for the main tank, then just stick a switch on the fuel pump for the aux tank.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by BC backroader » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Got new MOOG ball joints and TREs installed, so the front end is nice and tight and clunk free now. Hopefully I'll get another 200,000Km on her before I have to rebuild the front end again.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Replaced the outer front diff seal... in doing so, discovered like 6 more things that I need to get done. Ugh. Never getting caught up as long as thing thing is my daily driver.
Someone buy me another TB to daily drive
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by Conor_Darrow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Threw on the Rally Armor universal mudflaps and pulled some dried mud out of places i didn't know existed
Conor_Darrow

Name: Conor
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Replaced the outer front diff seal... in doing so, discovered like 6 more things that I need to get done. Ugh. Never getting caught up as long as thing thing is my daily driver.
Someone buy me another TB to daily drive

Don't worry, when they arent a daily driver, things also seem to go bad.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Dropped mine off the trailer, where it has sat since the tranny blew it's fluid in URE.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

PreviousNext

Return to Truck Discussion